coil pin layout? how to tell?

Dejavu

I found a random coil from a buddy and not sure the pin layout. Is there anyway to find out and also can I switch the pin layout by pulling the pins out and moving them without the need to solder?

ty

Dejavu,

Dejavu

Easy to reconfigure if needed.
do i need to solder anything or can i just remove the pins and place them where i like? I did read that article before you posted and not sure if i am too dumb or what but I read it a few times and wasn't sure if I could just remove and place the pins back in without pulling out a soldering gun.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
do i need to solder anything or can i just remove the pins and place them where i like? I did read that article before you posted and not sure if i am too dumb or what but I read it a few times and wasn't sure if I could just remove and place the pins back in without pulling out a soldering gun.
If you look at this image from the article you will see where the wires are soldered to the pins:

re-wiring3-1-1024x768.jpg.webp

You will definitely want a soldering iron and not a soldering gun.

Radwin Bodnic

The pins are captive from the plastic part of the plug. If you pull them out they won't be able to fit again and you'll have to buy a new plug.

Edit : changing the plug layout with the help of a low wattage soldering iron is a matter of minutes and is fairly easy.

Last edited:

Dejavu

If you look at this image from the article you will see where the wires are soldered to the pins:

re-wiring3-1-1024x768.jpg.webp

You will definitely want a soldering iron and not a soldering gun.
so the only way to remove those pins while they are still soldered and put them into a different slot is to purchase a new plastic casing to push the pins through? or would i need to buy a soldering bang bang gun!

maybe ill just buy 2 of those connectors that let you swap pins, does aliexpress sell or what should i put in search bar to find them? thx :p

edit ;; so cutting the palstic where the pins are located, a 3d printed part to replace and drill holes to match the pin, i could push the pins through a new 3d printed part?

Last edited:
Dejavu,

Hippie

E2a : I'm sure I've seen others making/selling them as Universal Coil Adapters

Last edited:

Radwin Bodnic

so the only way to remove those pins while they are still soldered and put them into a different slot is to purchase a new plastic casing to push the pins through? or would i need to buy a soldering bang bang gun!

maybe ill just buy 2 of those connectors that let you swap pins, does aliexpress sell or what should i put in search bar to find them? thx :p

edit ;; so cutting the palstic where the pins are located, a 3d printed part to replace and drill holes to match the pin, i could push the pins through a new 3d printed part?
Tolerances of those plugs are tight, the 3D printed part have to be perfectly designed and made not to bend the pins.

The pin is made of a tube with a cutout that form a tiny spur that locks into a recess inside the hole of the plastic piece. By removing the pin you risk to break the spur and the pin will slide in and out freely

The adaptor mentioned by @Hippie will be easier to deal with. If you don't want an adaptor but just a straight plug you will have to go with a bit of soldering. If so I recommend Neutrik plugs. They are the easiest to work with and also the strongest I have ever used.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member

As Les said, so you can splice the cables, but I'm getting the sense you are not very experienced with electronics. Either way make sure you use heat shrink tubing to reduce the chance of shorts and fire.

An adapter would be a much simpler solution.

Top Bottom