Tek Closed loop System

irwinmfletcher

Can You Dig It?
I am planning on purchasing a personal small batch closed loop extractor. Been looking at the one ablaze has...a Mini Closed Loop Extractor 45g Capacity Splatter Platter and Sight for $300(HERE). And a 90g one for 500(HERE)...apparently there is a dewaxing column too. I am new to this and am looking for advice so that I can avoid a few newbie mistakes.

matthend

Arent these the ones that have that insanely huge sight glass built in? This seems like an unnecessary potential point of failure to me.

Edit: Also agree 110% with the post above!

herbivore21

I am planning on purchasing a personal small batch closed loop extractor. Been looking at the one ablaze has...a Mini Closed Loop Extractor 45g Capacity Splatter Platter and Sight for $300(HERE). And a 90g one for 500(HERE)...apparently there is a dewaxing column too. I am new to this and am looking for advice so that I can avoid a few newbie mistakes.
Greetings,

These units look good in terms of compatibility with solvents like butane (the buna-n - aka nitrile - gaskets are compatible with butane and propane). However, I should note that I have had delamination of nitrile at atmospheric pressure and room temp due to contact with sticky resin. Always check your gaskets - after every run IMO. Gaskets can of course be changed (they even provide a spare set).

304 stainless is safe with all of the solvents that we use. You should regularly look over the stainless components to ensure that no corrosion or damage takes place over time, but you should not expect problems here unless something unusual has happened.

As my buddy @matthend says, a large sight port may be a problem depending on the construction/materials choice/density etc. I can't see any sight glass in the picture of the 90g unit though! BTW, I would get a unit with 90g over 45g capacity, IMO I tended towards 2 zip washes with solvents and 1 zip was always a little too much labor for the yield. YMMV of course.

Be mindful that this unit (90g) is only rated to be filled with a maximum 350ml of solvent which may require additional washes of the same material for larger amounts of starting material. This problem could potentially be mitigated/engineered out in the design process so there is a possibility that this is not actually a limitation for this product.

Finally, the PTFE parts of the braided hose should be very resistant to butane and propane, but IMO one should always regularly inspect all polymers (nitrile/ptfe/silicone etc) for deformation or damage in any extraction equipment.

Also guys, I've never run into a variety/pheno that doesn't rosin. I have run into immature nugs that have very low resin content that doesn't rosin worth a damn - but that shit is not going to make for good solvent extract yields either - and if it does, you are probably extracting stuff that isn't resin :2c:

I do recommend rosin to anybody who is not familiar with safely working with and storing solvents in an industrial setting. Despite my advice above, I do not recommend the use of explosive gases or even the less dangerous but still flammable alcohols for extraction in the home at all if there are any other options.

A single exploding can of butane could spell the end for you and people around you. Please be safe people.

Vapodudule

thanks for the detailed answer @herbivore21

@PoopMachine i join the post above to disagree with yours. a poor batch shall not encourage going in heavy chemical process.

For the present thread, there is the safety axis, the utility axis against but also the cost axis. the equipment quoted need to have at least a vaccum pump plus a recovery/load tank for solvent, then you have the cold/hot environment to bring and control, so many additional costs!

I am thinking especially to the top range of reasonnable chinese product for rosin, only things you need if you cannot DIY :

http://www.dhgate.com/product/5-quo...-oil/393982915.html#s2-23-7b;searl|0881973637

Plates plus heat controller are cheaper.

lazylathe

Almost there...
I watched this video a few days ago after @irwinmfletcher started the thread.
Quite interesting and he goes through the whole process, quite interesting!

lazylathe,

Doktor Dub

Don t play around with solvents if you don t know for at least 1000% what you are doing. This is even more true for a closed loop system vs. open blasting.

Even People with very much knowledge manage to blow themselves up - this is serious and very very dangerous.

Just had to say this (again)! (and sure, everybody decides for themselves what they do and which risks they take, but if you fuck up working with a closed loop extractor, what happens will be really really bad)

Stay safe!

Doktor Dub,

Vapodudule

Sorry to have derailed the thread onto rosin, grown up people are responsible for their own action, shall them be safe better than sorry.

Great video of the technique though.

PoopMachine

Trying to order one of these with a dewaxing sleeve and the guy has stopped responding :(

PoopMachine,

PoopMachine

I ended up buying a system from a US retailer. By the time you added a recovery tank to the cheap unit, it wasnt such a bargain anymore. I got a system off Ebay from a US seller at a very reasonable price. It will scale up to 8 ounces which is more than Ill ever do. Guy was super responsive, extremely open about where his stuff comes from and provided me a ton of information to get started. Ill probably mostly use my Source but I would like to take a run at some live resin.

Maybe rosin will be my next investment. I just havent had great luck with that.

PoopMachine

Cant edit so sorry for the double post.. a mod can merge if they want. Heres a link to the system I bought directly from the guy's website. $675 for an extraction setup with a recovery cannister that will run this amount seems like a steal. The seller also seems to have a lot of closed loop experience. All the questions Ive asked have had very detailed answers. The gentleman really seems to know what he's doing.

https://allaboutconcentrates.com/pr...-135g-closed-loop-extractor-recovery-tank-jic

PoopMachine,
Reactions: lazylathe

PoopMachine

man, i like the one @PoopMachine posted above a lot! That looks really well done and like a much better investment than the ones in the OP

I really wanted to deal with ABlaze and they have added some new stuff to their website but their customer service seemed kind of lacking. Days without responses, having to send multiple emails to get an answer.. that kind of stuff. I feel good about the system I bought. The guy has given me some great tips already and has been super responsive. He even sent me a link to the coolers he uses for freezing the tanks and in his words "These fit like they were made for them" and they're less than $20 each.

Last edited:
PoopMachine,

PoopMachine

I finally ran my system this weekend for the first time. Ran about 80gs of trim, got a nice return. Not too bad a process from start to finish. I highly recommend the place I got mine from. The guy's after sales support is amazing. I felt like I had done this before when I went into it just from his guidance.

PoopMachine,
Top Bottom