Can't collect Rosin

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Please can someone advise what's up with collecting my rosin.

When I try to use the dab collecting tool, the rosin just crumbles to dust and can't be gathered?

kST5RGkl.jpg

1DMF,

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
if you warm the paper slightly it should be a bit easier to collect
I've had this a couple of times and dragging the tool across the paper just made it all go flying.
Using the collection tool to dab and roll the crumbs worked a little better, but little bit of heat will help it stick

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
the parchment I'm using is aluminium backed, so I've been wondering if I applied heat, would it help.

Is it the strain of weed making this shatter/crumble , I usually get gooey, sticky rosin?

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
Honestly I'm not really sure, but I think it could depend on a number of different factors like the strain, the age/moisture level, the amount of terps and the temperature of the press.

Pyr0,

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
In the end I decided to scrape while the parchment was sitting on top of the press' bottom heat plate, worked like a charm.

Bit of a juggling act, as it can get too sticky making it impossible to collect and it just smears on the parchment.

I've been using the press @95c-100c for 35 seconds as it is giving me best results. Getting a nice bit of rosin from just 0.3g nugg, pre-squashed, but then couldn't collect as it turned to dust!

Oh well, at least I'm learning along the way and getting better at it with every press :)

turk

turk
...been using a press for a week myself....I press at 200 f....so far so good...

turk,

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
@turk many say best between 180f-220f. Mine only shows celcius, so used a probe thermometer to check and found the plate cooler than the LCD display indicates. 100c on my press is @200f ;)

1DMF,
Reactions: turk

herbivore21

You found it man, using very light heat does the trick. Please note you can use temps half as hot as your pressing temp and get better success. You just do not wanna sit that slick wrap on top of a rosin pressing hot plate for long after it's already been squished ;)

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Got it, thanks. I believe it's the recent drop in temps (Autumn is here!), as I was having to put the parchment in the freezer before I could collect it a month ago.

Amazing how a little change in room temps can make such a big difference when collecting.

The problem I have now is my Dr Dabber donut atomiser has just died on me :bang:, damn you Murphy!

Edit: @turk they meant lower temps for collecting - not pressing ;)

1DMF,

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
if you have enough pressure, i believe you can use lower temps for squishing as heat and pressure are related

Pyr0,

herbivore21

....Lower than 200 degrees Fahrenheit ?

Yup, you can press lower than 200, man I have very often pressed at 160! You do need a rig with serious pressure though, and damage to parchment can be a bigger risk with the additional pressure.

Got it, thanks. I believe it's the recent drop in temps (Autumn is here!), as I was having to put the parchment in the freezer before I could collect it a month ago.

Amazing how a little change in room temps can make such a big difference when collecting.

The problem I have now is my Dr Dabber donut atomiser has just died on me :bang:, damn you Murphy!

Edit: @turk they meant lower temps for collecting - not pressing ;)
So true man, cold will absolutely make more brittle extracts harder to collect as you have learned ;)

In response to the above post, I find that 150 is about the point where you start to get very little yield back even at higher pressure.

if you have enough pressure, i believe you can use lower temps for squishing
This is true to a point, I have definitely been able to press at much lower temps. However I do find that temps like 1DMF suggests are quite useful too. If you want budder/nucleation at the cost of lower yields (shit is LOUD though!), use lower temps and more pressure. Be prepared to damage your slick wrap lol.

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
No worries of damaging my paper here, lol, I'm still using hair straighteners attached to an irwin clamp :p

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
so @180F is probably optimal if lower temps yields less.

I must admit I do chase the flavour and is why I hate wick atomisers as I find I get better taste from ceramic doughnuts.

I've ordered more Yocan donuts and an istick eleaf Aster mod plus hope to get my hands on a divine tribe v3 doughnut atty.

Now that I'm getting really clean shattery rosin (now I have worked out how to collect it), I'm looking forward to playing with lower temps and these new attys to find my optimal flavour dab mod.

I was considering getting a Linx Hypnos Zero as a Dr Dabber atty is nearly half the price of the Linx, but looking so are the Linx atty's, making neither that affordable.

Really hoping my replacement Dab Storm 2.0 turns up tomorrow and delivers the promised wow factor I have yet to experience.

Though typically I'm now running low on flower... why did I have to pick such an expensive hobby!

turk

turk
...so far I'm happy at 200... my maiden voyage was at 205... then I came down 1 degree till I got to 200.... I like the yield there...my manual says 200-350 Fahrenheit ...for 35 seconds...

herbivore21

...so far I'm happy at 200... my maiden voyage was at 205... then I came down 1 degree till I got to 200.... I like the yield there...my manual says 200-350 Fahrenheit ...for 35 seconds...
200-220 is usually best for most people's needs, especially if you want something more stable that has any chance of being able to be touched by hand lol

herbivore21,
Top Bottom