Canna-Chai Tea

bennjammin

A few weeks ago I was making some chai tea, and realized it would be perfect for using small amount of abv in. I'm sure this has a real name but I'll call it CannaChai tea for now.

Ingredients:
1 mug of milk/cream to desired ratio
1-2 tbsp chai tea
1-2 tbsp abv (or fresh)
Honey to taste
Tea strainer or some sort of filter to get the leaves out.

Step 1 - Measure milk/cream in the mug your gonna use, make sure you measure it straight to the top as you may lose some along the way. Pour this carefully into a saucepan set on low.

Step 2 - Throw in some chai tea. I'm not talking about the bags of 'chai' tea you get in cardboard boxes from WalMart, the only way is to use real leaves. You can get a tin from any local tea shop or 'new age' type store, it's pretty popular so a good chai blend won't be hard to find, you could probably get a sample for free from a tea shop. Toss in about 1-2 tbsp depending on how big your mug is and how strong you want it to be.

Step 3 - Very important step, toss in your abv. Again, this will differ depending on how much your making, but start with however much you would use normally. I started with a teaspoon and the effects were quite relaxing but nothing crazy. You can optionally add honey here, if you like some sweetness in your tea.

Step 4 - Mix the leaves in a little and let it simmer. Your gonna wanna simmer it for at least 20 minutes if not longer. After it heats up turn it on the absolute lowest setting and mix it up every few minutes. Let those spices get all up in that milk until it's a nice caramel brown, then let it simmer even more.

Step 5 - Pour that golden milk through a strainer or filter into your mug (and remember to turn that burner off kids).

Reply if you've tried anything similar, or have any improvements or suggestions on this awesome recipe!

I made a (sorta) chai tea last month and was pretty baked until the next morning. I like your recipe much better though and had considered doing the same thing as this my next time round.

Last time I had made butter and added it to the tea (had no cream or was gonna do this) so as you can imagine, the butter was a weak link in the flavor/texture experince

quest for herb,

FlasH

Downhill demon
I make a Canna-Chai also using a teaspoon of ABV. I put the milk in a small pot (eyeball how much, maybe 1/2 a cup) and add the herb and simmer for about 20 mins. Then I make tea and add the milk to it. However, lately I haven't been able to stomach the tea; once the flavor hits my mouth and I taste it I get this gross taste in my mouth that doesn't go away easily. The tea is strong just hard to stomach sometimes. I'll have to give your method a go and see if I get better results :)

FlasH,

bennjammin

quest for herb said:
I made a (sorta) chai tea last month and was pretty baked until the next morning. I like your recipe much better though and had considered doing the same thing as this my next time round.

I used quite a bit the first time because I kept thinking 'that doesn't look like enough' and was still feeling it the next morning. The key is to let it soak in the milk for as long as possible, but stirring is also important or the fat collects on the top of the milk and you have to skim it off (no big deal).

bennjammin,

Bouldorado

Might try this tomo. prob use coconut milk instead though; way higher fat content.

Bouldorado,
Top Bottom