Can weed have ammonia smell but no visual clues to mold?

crp

my elderly non smoking friend lives on a rural island and wanted to try and grow a plant outdoor organic for 1st time to help my medical situation as I'm a new medical user ...she had a fellow who has harvested b4 help here cut them down but she mentioned that he said there was mold they had to cut off but rest was fine and she's left it drying in her house for last 3-4 weeks she just brought me everything today and it has an unusual smell compared to what I get at my compassion club so I'm worried is that just outdoor or is it the smell I've read about that it can signify presence of mold and how bad is that but I see no clear signs that the darker spots just aren't characterstics of that strain?? So my questions is does amnion smell alone signify mold?

crp,
Reactions: steama

MinnBobber

Hi.
don't know about the smell but a friend/grower always scopes his harvest with a blacklight.
Mold will glow greenish under it.
You can search for blacklight/mold pictures to see it.

Anybody nearby who might have a blacklight you could borrow??
Tell them you need to check out a Halloween costume with the light....

Last edited:

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
The most common form of Mold found in Cannabis is Powdery Mildew and Botrytis.

The powdery mildew looks like white dust/or flour, with no noticeable odor...it is most commonly found on the leaves of the plant.

Botrytis will be found in the flower structure and resemble thick cobwebs... This too has very little odor.

An ammonia like aroma is actually fairly common, especially when grown outdoors with the sun providing it's energy.

Does this aroma remind you of "Cat Piss"?
This smell is very common in Haze dominant Strains, and as weird as this may sound....

Many of us growers strive to obtain this aroma.

In fact there is an amazing strain named "Cat Piss" as it reeks of ammonia.

However, there are several different forms of mold that can be found in and on the Cannabis plant, especially when it is grown outdoors, as we have very little control over the environment.

If you are concerned, please take some pictures of the suspected mold, and I will do what I can (albeit rudimentary visual)to advise you on possible mold.

Edit; Actually @MinnBobber is dead on... If you have access to a Black Light,it will certainly illuminate any mold and/or spores.

Last edited:

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
I agree there are smells from coffee to grape candy to skunk to cat pee. Man's selection.

I'd use a bubbler with it.

jojo monkey,

crp

File%202015-11-11%2C%201%2023%2054%20AM.jpeg

Heres a pic the smell is strongest around darkspot

crp,

kellya86

Herb gardener...
@MinnBobber and @Hashtag46&2 are spot on. The only thing I would add is that smoking forms of mould including powdery mildew, can be detrimental to your health and I would strongly advise against it until you can be sure of the state of your flowers.

kellya86,
Reactions: 1DMF
Top Bottom