California: Where can I buy large quantities of flowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwistedGray

Hey All,

I am in California and use a regular dispensary. They charge up to the 8th per flower strain; however, I want to buy a half pound or at least a quarter pound.

I know I can buy it from the dispensary, but it's going to be outrageously overpriced. Cheapest 8th is $30 and they give one free eight on an ounce. Therefore, an ounce costs $210 ($30 x 7) thus eight ounces would be $1,680. That is way overpriced.

I didn't think it is legal to buy outside of a dispensary with my medical card. Could someone confirm this? Can I buy direct from a grower that otherwise is not a dispensary?

Thoughts, recommendations, and suggestions are welcomed.

TwistedGray,
Reactions: 6079Smith

Dramma Lamma

Looks like a job for!
A dispensary at least in my area is only legally allowed to sell you one ounce per visit, period.

You need to put yourself in the shop managements shoes here, its NOT illegal.
We are not your homie on the street worried about getting slammed, we have 200+ people to make happy on a daily basis.

Giving half or all of one product out to one person is a massive thorn in the supply / demand chain.
Also then those people often turn around and act like they are doing the shop a favor and pull this card "since I'm getting so many can I get a discount?"

No, for FUCKS SAKE.
Please also consider any discount the shop gives you is straight up loosing money, period.
They can just wait another day or two and sell it at full price to another few people with out even trying, also without dicking over the supply / demand chain.

Every item in our shop has a limit on how many you can get (usually 5) because we want to you think of the community as a whole, not be a greedy asshole and buy it all just cuz you can. Please don't take this the wrong way I'm just showing you my perspective of the situation having worked as shop management for three years now. We have done all kinds of deals under the sun to get here including deals like you are looking for now, but I feel like we have a good balance for EVERYONE to get good items now more than ever.

If you want large amounts meet growers, not distributors.
Yes it is legal for you to buy outside a shop, ALL people must have said recommendations and you NEED TO VERIFY IT YOURSELF EVERY TIME.
Also keep in mind your recommendation may not allow you to carry that much flower at once, which is another part of why our shop system limits to an ounce.
There is not 0 risk here, be careful.

Last edited:

Adobewan

A dispensary at least in my area is only legally allowed to sell you one ounce per visit, period.

Also you need to put yourself in the shop managements shoes here, its NOT illegal.
We are not your homie on the street worried about getting slammed, we have 200+ people to make happy on a daily basis.

Giving half or all of one product out to one person is a massive thorn in the supply / demand chain.
Also then those people often turn around and act like they are doing the shop a favor and pull this card "since I'm getting so many can I get a discount?"

No, for FUCKS SAKE.
Also just consider any discount the shop gives you is straight up loosing money, period.
They can just wait another day or two and sell it at full price to another few people with out even trying, also without dicking over the supply / demand chain.

Every item in our shop has a limit on how many you can get because we want to you think of the community as a whole, not be a greedy asshole and buy it all just cuz you can.

Yes it is legal for you to buy outside a shop, ALL people must have said recommendations and you NEED TO VERIFY IT YOURSELF EVERY TIME.
Also keep in mind your recommendation may not allow you to carry that much flower at once, which is another part of why our shop system limits to an ounce.
Wow! Not a very compassionate attitude to patients on a budget trying to afford their medicine and absolutely NiOT what I have found with many reasonable shop owners.
@TwistedGray to avoid dispensaries just out for profit, take a look at Budtrader to meet up with growers. Share your paperwork online, get theirs as well. Then meet in a friendly public place, a Starbucks works, bring a friend and leave them in the car. Feel out the person and, as I have, you will likely make a new friend who will supply you with high quality product and a GREAT price(as low as $5 a gram).
Peace

TwistedGray

Thank you for your input, and I appreciate that perspective. From my perspective though the shop could simply play the middle man and order an extra half pound for me. It would not cost them any more and they will make some off of it, but obviously broken down into 8ths they make more. I'm not suggesting that they don't do both...

In California I can legally posses 8 ounces. I did not think I could just go on Craigslist, find a seller, and buy from them. That's more-or-less what I am trying to determine the legality of.

@TwistedGray to avoid dispensaries just out for profit, take a look at Budtrader to meet up with growers. Share your paperwork online, get theirs as well. Then meet in a friendly public place, a Starbucks works, bring a friend and leave them in the car. Feel out the person and, as I have, you will likely make a new friend who will supply you with high quality product and a GREAT price(as low as $5 a gram).
Peace

Thanks, and yes I did check out budtrader and found a contact. However, I was/am a bit nervous; however, now knowing their is nothing illegal to concern myself with I'll touch base with them again. Thank you for the head's up :)

ps; I love my dispensary and will continue to go there. They have many different products that I'm not interested in buying from dozens of random people. BUT I can get a pound for less than what I would get a half pound for at the dispensary.

Last edited by a moderator:

jim-bob

The other side is that there might not be as much money in selling a pound to a random. A good friend of mine grows some of my favorite plants ever, and the vast majority of them go straight into high-CBD tinctures because that's where his demand lies.

It's a bummer, because it's the best Royal Kush i've had in my life, but dude's gotta make a living.

TwistedGray

The other side is that there might not be as much money in selling a pound to a random. A good friend of mine grows some of my favorite plants ever, and the vast majority of them go straight into high-CBD tinctures because that's where his demand lies.

It's a bummer, because it's the best Royal Kush i've had in my life, but dude's gotta make a living.

For sure, it's capitalism. Can't blame anyone for that!

TwistedGray,

Baron23

You need to put yourself in the shop managements shoes here, its NOT illegal.

No, for FUCKS SAKE.
Please also consider any discount the shop gives you is straight up loosing money, period.

Every item in our shop has a limit on how many you can get (usually 5) because we want to you think of the community as a whole, not be a greedy asshole and buy it all just cuz you can. Please don't take this the wrong way I'm just showing you my perspective of the situation having worked as shop management for three years now. We have done all kinds of deals under the sun to get here including deals like you are looking for now, but I feel like we have a good balance for EVERYONE to get good items now more than ever.

So, you make some valid points but only from a very limited perspective, IMO. Perhaps instead of being selfish pigs, somebody may want some quantity to make their own full melt bubble hash...a process that is probably way more efficient with larger than smaller qtys. Just saying, mate...good points but you ain't the only one wearing a white hat (the good guys, yeah!?)

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Maybe I don't have a real say in this but...
Therefore, an ounce costs $210

Living where herb isn't legal I'd give my left nut to get bud that cheap, damn.

Plus reading through this thread I had to wonder why you all got on Dramma Lamma's case when they answered a question about buying 8 ounces starting out with;

that seems to exclude getting a cut rate price on 8 ounces when they can only sell you one.

TwistedGray

Plus reading through this thread I had to wonder why you all got on Dramma Lamma's case when they answered a question about buying 8 ounces starting out with; that seems to exclude getting a cut rate price on 8 ounces when they can only sell you one.

Thing is that D-L's situation is different as each state has different regulations. Our dispensary will sell you eight ounces if you want to buy eight ounces.

They were just trying to offer a different perspective, one of a business owner out to make money selling in smaller quantities.

TwistedGray,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Baron23

Plus reading through this thread I had to wonder why you all got on Dramma Lamma's case when they answered a question about buying 8 ounces starting out with;

Yes, he answered the question. I think if you look at the replies he got, they were aimed at the rest of the editorial commentary he felt to include.

Baron23,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Dramma Lamma

Looks like a job for!
Thank you for your input, and I appreciate that perspective. From my perspective though the shop could simply play the middle man and order an extra half pound for me. It would not cost them any more and they will make some off of it, but obviously broken down into 8ths they make more. I'm not suggesting that they don't do both...

In California I can legally posses 8 ounces. I did not think I could just go on Craigslist, find a seller, and buy from them. That's more-or-less what I am trying to determine the legality of.

Legally posses at home correct, but is it clear your limit on how much you can travel with? This unfortunately can fall under local jurisdictions enforcement, much like whether they allow collectives in the first place or not.

On most items its not often as easy as we would like, to say just order a bit extra. More often than not you get 2 styles of middle men.

A: Distributors who grow: They often have the same few things super good quality and have them all the time. But because theese people are used to loosing thier places to sell when a shop gets raided or goes under then they don't want to put all their eggs in one basket. They often are in every legit shop in the area and are thus trying to evenly divide the stock. The consistency is there but since they are also keeping ties with other places they can only afford to give out so much to each shop. Even if I request them to bring me 5lb of the one I want, so I can sell you 1 personally, they are only gonna bring me 1-2 as they want to keep their ties with other shops. What I want to order is frankly irrelevant as they will bring me what they are willing to part with when it is ready and I will get it because the quality/popularity/price is there.
These people generally will not bother meeting on Bud-trader simply put they are above it.

B: Distributors who just middle man: There is rarely anything consistent about these people, one week they may have the best deal ever on great quality. Then for months on end they may have the most mediocre stuff which is overpriced. Because things are so boom and bust for these people its often to get a great deal setup and greed upon with them, only to have them show up a day late and inform you they sold the nice deal up the street for a bit more without even contacting us. So the times they do actually come through with great stuff, its all bought and there is just none to spare to buy an extra bit for you. For the most part these are the people on bud trader, after-all that is where they are getting some of the stuff in the first place.

That's about it, not only can I not legally help It's physically beyond difficult as well. I would have to buy something for you only, if that makes sense. Something not even on my shelf, which you would not really get to see until it was a done deal and my ownership would want $$ up front for such a thing, sound attractive?

To be frank the only items on my shelf I have ever had a legit supplier which I can actually order more and fucking get it, are edibles.

^ This right here ^

It can become about reliability as a grower, you have a lot to move all the time.
Sure you may meet mr $$ bags on bud-trader and sell him a few LBS, then they will get bored and move to a new strain or someone whos a bit cheaper ETC. You just lost a big customer and that hurts. Its more quick to meet shops cuz you know when and where the shops are. Typically shops want more also thus, less effort more $$.

For reference the closest industry that you can relate this to is the electronics industry, we all effectively have the same product. And basically every one of us have our own ways of giving you discounts to help buy your customer loyalty and keep you happy. But taking most of the stock is simply not how it works.

Go to a nice electronic store and get them to price match you an item from the internet or some other sale, and they gladly will, buy up to all they allow you to buy of that unit and I'm certain they gladly will.
Then turn around and ask for 2 more and a discount because you are getting so many and the manager will simply ask you to get out.

My:2c:

@TwistedGray PM sent as I, geneunely DO want to help you and all my patients. Its just we all only have so much power.

Last edited:

Adobewan

Legally posses at home correct, but is it clear your limit on how much you can travel with? This unfortunately can fall under local jurisdictions enforcement, much like whether they allow collectives in the first place or not.

On most items its not often as easy as we would like, to say just order a bit extra. More often than not you get 2 styles of middle men.

A: Distributors who grow: They often have the same few things super good quality and have them all the time. But because theese people are used to loosing thier places to sell when a shop gets raider or goes under then they don't want to put all their eggs in one basket. They often are in every legit shop in the area and are thus trying to evenly divide the stock. The consistency is there but since they are also keeping ties with other places they can only afford to give out so much to each shop. Even if I request them to bring me 5lb of the one I want, so I can sell you 1 personally, they are only gonna bring me 1-2 as they want to keep their ties with other shops. What I want to order is frankly irrelevant they will bring me what they are willing to part with when it is ready and I will get it because the quality/popularity/price is there.
These people generally will not bother meeting on Bud-trader simply put they are above it.

B: Distributors who just middle man: There is rarely anything consistent about these people, one week they may have the best deal ever on great quality. Then for months on end they may have the most mediocre stuff which is overpriced. Because things are so boom and bust for these people its often to get a great deal setup and greed upon with them, only to have them show up a day late and inform you they sold the nice deal up the street for a bit more without even contacting us. So the times they do actually come through with great stuff, its all bought and there is just none to spare to buy an extra bit for you. For the most part these are the people on bud trader, after-all that is where they are getting some of the stuff in the first place.

That's about it, not only can I not legally help It's physically beyond difficult as well. I would have to buy something for you only, if that makes sense.

To be frank the only items on my shelf I have ever had a legit supplier which I can actually order more and fucking get it, are edibles.

^ This right here ^

It can become about reliability as a grower, you have a lot to move all the time.
Sure you may meet mr $$ bags on bud-trader and sell him a few LBS, then they will get bored and move to a new strain or someone whos a bit cheaper ETC. You just lost a big customer and that hurts. Its more quick to meet shops cuz you know when and where they are shops typically want more also thus, less effort more $$.

For reference the closest industry that you can relate this to is the electronics industry, we all effectively have the same product. And basically every one of us have our own ways of giving you discounts to help buy your customer loyalty and keep you happy. But taking most of the stock is simply not how it works.

Go to a nice electronic store and get them to price match you an item from the internet or some other sale, and they gladly will, buy up to all they allow you to buy of that unit and I'm certain they gladly will.
Then turn around and ask for 2 more and a discount because you are getting so many and the manager will simply ask you to get out.

My:2c:

We have had different experiences regarding BudTrader.
I have met, no only "middlemen distributers", a term I would use to describe "dispensaries", but "grower distributers", a term I would use to describe "farmers", through BT and have enjoyed long, consistent relationships with both.
I don't know of anyone that found a good quality source at a good price, and got bored, causing them to look for someone cheaper, although I guess it happens.
Luckily, most farmers I've met grow more than one strain, even ones that specialize in a strain or two of consistent top shelf(which are anything but boring).

I imagine farmers are happy to sell direct to consumers, likely making more than they do selling to dispensaries, while giving the consumer a huge break from the dispensaries' mark up.

I also imagine dispensaries aren't happy with the success BudTrader has had in cutting out middlemen between growers and consumers.

Until I run into the type of scenario you're describing, I'll continue to recommend BT to patients looking for top shelf medicine on a budget.

Adobewan,

Dramma Lamma

Looks like a job for!
Well then we agree, a shop serving the masses who want 2 grams of something new every time is not a place for a reasonable educated person with a large sum of $ to drop on weed at once is not the place for OP.

We literally both sent OP to the same place.

Besides even if I gave 5 top quality vapes to all of my customers I'd bet only a dozen or so of them would be smart enough to apply themselves to use them. Most will just go back to smoking.

FC (or any other self educating place) > average idiot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom