BHO Chocolates

chronickiller7

So I want to make some bho chocolates. I've read that it is necessary to decarb the oil. Can I do this using a heater such as this one (this is what I have)... http://www.amazon.com/Presto-07061-...TF8&qid=1393628724&sr=8-21&keywords=Hot+plate . I use it to purge my oil by placing a Pyrex dish with water on top of the heater plate, and then the I blow into in that Pyrex. Is there an easy way I can chocolates using this equipment? Also what chocolate works the best? Should I add butter?

chronickiller7,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
decarboxylation is the process of turning nonpsychoactive thca into psychoactive thc. It seems like the best way for you to do this is when you are making treats. I would consider this 2 different steps, 1- make bho, 2- make treats w/ bho. Example: make a box cake that says to cook @350 for 30 min and cook it at 270 for a little longer (until done). This will decarb the oil w/o boiling off the actives. W/ flowers, I look for recipes that call for a LOT of butter/oil. W/ bho, I would think you could add it to any recipe. Truffles can be a good choice that is simple and only requires a few ingredients. You can roll them in cinnamon, powdered sugar, nuts or whatever when partly cooled to improve taste.

deadheadbill

I can see clearly now the smoke is gone...
I hope I am not derailing or hijacking the thread. If so, delete or move please. But I thought this info would be useful to the op too.

How many doses are in a gram of bho? I've been wanting to do the same as Chronic, but could not figure out how to dose once I had made my oil?

chronickiller7

I hope I am not derailing or hijacking the thread. If so, delete or move please. But I thought this info would be useful to the op too.

How many doses are in a gram of bho? I've been wanting to do the same as Chronic, but could not figure out how to dose once I had made my oil?
Good question. Never really thought about it. I would think .1-.3 if it's good bho.

I read somewhere that if I let the oil sit on the double boiler a little longer it'll decarb. Could I take some of oil on the double boiler and add some chocolate and let sit a little? Also can I make only 1 or 2 servings at a time?

tepictoton

I do not think double boiler is hot enough, unless you plan on letting it heat for a long long time.....

tepictoton,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Bouldorado

Check this decarb graph (via skunkpharm). The THC numbers seem a little low (prob just outdated), but the time and temperature are likely still accurate.

decarboxylation-graph-1-11.jpg

chronickiller7

Check this decarb graph (via skunkpharm). The THC numbers seem a little low (prob just outdated), but the time and temperature are likely still accurate.

decarboxylation-graph-1-11.jpg
So could I leave the bho in the dish on a bouble boiler at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for a half hour? Or does it need to be in the oven?

chronickiller7,

Bouldorado

Water boils around 212 F so you can't really get a double boiler hotter than that. If you trust the thermometer on your heater, then you could just put the oil directly on that (use a glass dish or parchment paper). Looks like the best option is 7min @ 293F.

Also keep in mind that while decarbing is nice, it's not 100% necessary. Last time I made chocolates from good hash I never decarbed and they turned out fine.

The way I make chocolates is to dissolve some hash in a small amount of coconut oil (1-3 tablespoons), add some soy lecithin (1/4 teaspoon), and add in the chocolate. This is best done in a double boiler. Once everything is mixed I let it sit on the double boiler for about 20 min and then pour it into an ice cube tray. Pop it in the freezer and once it's hard, you're good to go.

chronickiller7

Water boils around 212 F so you can't really get a double boiler hotter than that. If you trust the thermometer on your heater, then you could just put the oil directly on that (use a glass dish or parchment paper). Looks like the best option is 7min @ 293F.

Also keep in mind that while decarbing is nice, it's not 100% necessary. Last time I made chocolates from good hash I never decarbed and they turned out fine.

The way I make chocolates is to dissolve some hash in a small amount of coconut oil (1-3 tablespoons), add some soy lecithin (1/4 teaspoon), and add in the chocolate. This is best done in a double boiler. Once everything is mixed I let it sit on the double boiler for about 20 min and then pour it into an ice cube tray. Pop it in the freezer and once it's hard, you're good to go.

With your method, can .3 make 3 good chocolates? I only want to make a few at a time. Also, couldn't I use some kind of oil like vegetable oil instead of the hot water in the double boiler? I liked how easy it would be if all I had to do was mix the decarb oil with chocolate.

chronickiller7,

Bouldorado

With your method, can .3 make 3 good chocolates? I only want to make a few at a time. Also, couldn't I use some kind of oil like vegetable oil instead of the hot water in the double boiler? I liked how easy it would be if all I had to do was mix the decarb oil with chocolate.

I don't see any reason you couldn't use veggie oil or similar. I usually dose with my edibles with .1g hash each, so .3g is definitely enough for 3 good ones. You'll prob only need ~1 tbsp of coconut oil for that amount of hash. If you add too much coconut oil it will make the chocolates really soft. A standard size hershey bar should be more than enough chocolate.

Bouldorado,
Reactions: Puffers

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind

I have always thought of it like this if you have 1 gram of BHO that is aprox 80% thc (seems pretty avg for a good extract) then your 1 gram contains approximately 800mg of thc that you could use with a careful decarb. If you have previous experience with dispensary edibles you probably have an idea of at least what ballpark your mg/ per dose should be.

Good question. Never really thought about it. I would think .1-.3 if it's good bho.

Careful a ~300mg dose (.3) is pretty hefty even for people with a fairly high tolerance, a lightweight.... Shit....Houston start the countdown cause they are headed for Deep Space :lol:

For reference a deca-dose (10x) cheeba chew contains 175mg

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
I consider myself to have a fairly low tolerance to edibles. I ate a 200mg caramel from the disp the other day and considered it fairly mild - and this is one of the better treats I've had from a disp. I really don't trust their #'s.

chronickiller7

I don't see any reason you couldn't use veggie oil or similar. I usually dose with my edibles with .1g hash each, so .3g is definitely enough for 3 good ones. You'll prob only need ~1 tbsp of coconut oil for that amount of hash. If you add too much coconut oil it will make the chocolates really soft. A standard size hershey bar should be more than enough chocolate.
Is that 1 tbsp for .1g? Or .3? Should I mix the coconut oil with the bho on a double boiler? How long does the bho and coconut oil have to sit together before I should add chocolate? What temp should I use? Do I need to decarb if I'm using the coconut oil? Sorry for soooo many questions lol. I just want to make some, but I've read that just putting the bho in without a decarb is a waste.

chronickiller7,

Bouldorado

Is that 1 tbsp for .1g? Or .3? Should I mix the coconut oil with the bho on a double boiler? How long does the bho and coconut oil have to sit together before I should add chocolate? What temp should I use? Do I need to decarb if I'm using the coconut oil? Sorry for soooo many questions lol. I just want to make some, but I've read that just putting the bho in without a decarb is a waste.

That 1 tbsp is for .3g. If it has trouble dissolving you can add another .5-1 tbsp of coconut oil. More than that and you'll seriously affect the chocolate composition (it'll be greasy and melt much easier, although taste won't change much).

You want to mix everything together over a double boiler. I would add the lecithin, coconut oil, and hash first. If you can accurately read temperatures, I would follow the decarb chart above (ie, ~27min @ 252). If not then I would just use water for the double boiler and let it heat for 30min. After 30 min, add the chocolate to the lecithin/hash/oil mixture and stir until it melts. Once melted let it sit on the heat for ~5 min. After that you can do what you want with the chocolate. You could use it as fondue or pour it in a mold/on parchment paper.

FYI coconut oil is used instead of butter or veggie oils because it has a high fat content and is solid at room temp.

Lo

Combustion free since '09
A double boiler will get up to 212F. Not high enough to decarb. If you plan on using the coconut oil in a recipe that requires further cooking like brownies or cookies you'd be fine but if not, plan to decarb. One way or another decarb has to happen or it's a waste of product.

walrus

A double boiler will get up to 212F. Not high enough to decarb. If you plan on using the coconut oil in a recipe that requires further cooking like brownies or cookies you'd be fine but if not, plan to decarb. One way or another decarb has to happen or it's a waste of product.

You can decarb hash oil in a double boiler set up by using oil in the bottom pot instead of water. I fill my electric fondue pot halfway with canola oil, put the hash oil in a small Pyrex bowl and set it in the oil bath. Put something like a canning jar lid underneath of it to keep the Pyrex off of the bottom of the fondue pot. Use a candy thermometer or an accurate instant read thermometer and get the oil bath stable around 250 degrees f. You should see tiny bubbles form in your hash oil as it decarbs. When the amount of bubbles substantially decreases or stops entirely, your oil should be fully decarbed.

Don't think this method would really be worth the trouble if you are doing the tiny amounts discussed above (.1, .3) but it works well if you are decarbing a few grams or more at a time

chronickiller7

You can decarb hash oil in a double boiler set up by using oil in the bottom pot instead of water. I fill my electric fondue pot halfway with canola oil, put the hash oil in a small Pyrex bowl and set it in the oil bath. Put something like a canning jar lid underneath of it to keep the Pyrex off of the bottom of the fondue pot. Use a candy thermometer or an accurate instant read thermometer and get the oil bath stable around 250 degrees f. You should see tiny bubbles form in your hash oil as it decarbs. When the amount of bubbles substantially decreases or stops entirely, your oil should be fully decarbed.

Don't think this method would really be worth the trouble if you are doing the tiny amounts discussed above (.1, .3) but it works well if you are decarbing a few grams or more at a time
Then what would be the best way to make 1-3 bho chocolates?

chronickiller7,
Top Bottom