Ball vape

geoff_45

What is a good starting ball vape kit?

I was looking at the vapvana screwball or the flowerpot b1.

Are either of these a good starting point.

Corded vs wireless isn’t important.

Any others I should consider besides the two above?

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member

I would definitely read through the ball vape thread (ignore the poll at the top):

I have a bunch of ball vapes including the Screwball and a B1. I would recommend the CC Omega over both of those. It's performance is better in my experience. It's also more adaptable to different use cases. It is really a platform as more modules and interchangeable pieces are developed. It's also one of the least expensive (especially if you buy one if the kits).

But you can definitely get a lot of insights in that thread above. And I am sure others will weigh in here.

Welcome to FC!

coolbreeze

Here's a good place to learn a lot: https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/ball-vape-comparison-megathread-compare-your-balls.52970/
Can verify the Screwball as a bargain and a powerhouse. Flavor's great, kits is comprehensive.
The Screwball may be my most powerful vape. It's a good starting and ending point if that level of power is what you're after.

The Phase3 ZX is a 14mm injector system that is amazing for smaller loads. It's my daily driver.

geoff_45

What is the advantage of the phaser 3 ZX or ZXL over the screwball? Is it just the ceramic vs the titanium?

geoff_45,

coolbreeze

What is the advantage of the phaser 3 ZX or ZXL over the screwball? Is it just the ceramic vs the titanium?
It's the design, materials, and the configuration. The ZX is a 14mm injector, the ZXL an 18mm injector, and the Screwball a 22mm diffuser. Generally diffusers can roast more evenly and at least in my collection I consider them very powerful because of the larger surface area they affect. The ZXL is also very powerful, the ZX is very powerful too, but meant to roast a smaller amount. The ZXs are injectors whose bowl configuration allows them to behave like diffusers in that they are very even and eliminate the unroasted ring.

There are other things: the SB is built for preheating your herb/bowl to add conduction, the Zs are more insulated and meant to virtually bypass the bowl in terms of conduction. In practice, the Screwball for me is more a session of cool, massive hits with great but degrading flavor and exceptional effects while the ZX is more the perfect one-hitter of clean, crisp flavor, thick vapor, sparkling, heady effects. The ZX will be somewhere in between, I think, capable of very large single-hits, as well as larger bowls that can be more slowly roasted.

Either's awesome, and together they cover the range.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I think the ZX is also more flexible with the size of the load. Though it has a smaller bowl, you can load a minute amount or stuff it full. The ZX (and the SS version, the SX) are designed over many iterations to work ideally with its coil, housing material, and fill material. I don't have a ZXL, but everything I have heard so far is promising.

The Screwball has a large coil and thin housing, because of this is needs to have a supercharged fill with gem cut rubies. So it's a bit inefficient and extracts less reliablely. This also has a the impact of added restriction. Vapor also pulls a bit slower than my favorites. I think the Screwball works but it needs a few more revisions to get up to the performance and flavor of most of the current of ball vapes.

I like zirconia ball vapes, I have two. But I think the material itself is overrated. But I don't think any person would be disappointed with a ZX as their first ball vape. Although I suspect that is true of even the B1, my least favorite. Ball vapes all perform well and when you get past their individual quirks you can make them sing.

LordOfTheVapes

Really fascinating to read about the differences between the many options out there, especially as someone who only recently started vaping.

For me, the draw feels wide open and the extraction is thorough; hard for me to imagine better due to limited experience with other vapes.
I'm using a soft, fluffy medium grind in the half-size bowl setting, no packing down, ~.1g, with a dry bubbler.
I heat soak the bowl for about 10 seconds before drawing slowly.

When pressed for time, PID set at 470F; one hit extraction leaving behind dark and golden brown AVB.
Otherwise, PID set at 420F; 2 long, slow draws leaves behind golden brown AVB.

geoff_45

I like zirconia ball vapes, I have two. But I think the material itself is overrated. But I don't think any person would be disappointed with a ZX as their first ball vape. Although I suspect that is true of even the B1, my least favorite.
What ball vape do you reach for the most or like the best? Any specific reason why you like that one the most?

geoff_45,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
What ball vape do you reach for the most or like the best? Any specific reason why you like that one the most?
I like the Omega best of all my ball vapes. It can handle any amount of material, it always delivers immediate vapor. It handles low temps and high temps. I also love to use all the modules. The diffuser is my default, then the 14mm injector. I love to use the 18mm module over an RBT stem as a kind of mini T360.

Also I just love going wireless. I thought that would be a novelty. I mostly vape in the same spot but being cordless is a game changer. It's just nice to not manage cords. I also now vape in other spots.

I have lots of other vapes, including 8 other coil-heated ball vapes. The Omega keeps winning the reach test.

If we expand the definition of ball vapes, I use the CouchLog about as often as the Omega.

Last edited:

Oil420FL

I like the Omega best of all my ball vapes. It can handle any amount of material, it always delivers immediate vapor. It handles low temps and high temps. I also love to use all the modules. The diffuser is my default, then the 14mm injector. I love to use the 18mm module over an RBT stem as a kind of mini T360.

Also I just love going wireless. I thought that would be a novelty. I mostly vape in the same spot but being cordless is a game changer. It's just nice to not manage cords. I also now vape in other spots.

I have lots of other vapes, including 8 other coil-heated ball vapes. The Omega keeps winning the reach test.

If we expand the definition of ball vapes, I use the CouchLog about as often as the Omega.
The Screwball suggested temperature range is between 440-500F (seem to recall someone claiming it is the lowest temp ball vape). Is your Omega producing good vapor at temps that low? I would think the CouchLog would be productive at temps below 400. Right?

Oil420FL,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
The Screwball suggested temperature range is between 440-500F (seem to recall someone claiming it is the lowest temp ball vape). Is your Omega producing good vapor at temps that low? I would think the CouchLog would be productive at temps below 400. Right?
For wireless that is lower than I go. For wired temperatures, I have gone as low as 400, but it is whispier than I might like. 420 is very satisfying, 450 is very nice and plenty of vapor. For wireless, I go up about 60-100 depending on the coil. Of course the vape is the same temperature, that's just the difference the PID reads (Auber RDK 300B).

Of course my Zirconia Zeal goes lower still. My SX/ZX is similar.

I like my Screwball at about 480. Any lower and it really doesn't work well, but that is satisfying. I'm sure folks like to go lowerer, but I don't like the results. The claim that it is the lowest temp ball vape is absolutely false. But that's fine. The number on your pid controller matters less than the number on another vapes digital display. Perfectly meaningless on this own, only relevant to the vape and vaper.

The CouchLog, fortunately, has no temperature display. Only a dial with ten tick marks.

Oil420FL

For wireless that is lower than I go. For wired temperatures, I have gone as low as 400, but it is whispier than I might like. 420 is very satisfying, 450 is very nice and plenty of vapor. For wireless, I go up about 60-100 depending on the coil. Of course the vape is the same temperature, that's just the difference the PID reads (Auber RDK 300B).

Of course my Zirconia Zeal goes lower still. My SX/ZX is similar.

I like my Screwball at about 480. Any lower and it really doesn't work well, but that is satisfying. I'm sure folks like to go lowerer, but I don't like the results. The claim that it is the lowest temp ball vape is absolutely false. But that's fine. The number on your pid controller matters less than the number on another vapes digital display. Perfectly meaningless on this own, only relevant to the vape and vaper.

The CouchLog, fortunately, has no temperature display. Only a dial with ten tick marks.
The lack of temp settings is why i haven’t tried a CouchLog. My experience with the TM2 made me reluctant to try a similar 1-10 scale vape. Cloud Conniseur makes great looking stuff. I’ve been following him since the Zenith. Wish I’d bought one of those.

Oil420FL,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
The lack of temp settings is why i haven’t tried a CouchLog. My experience with the TM2 made me reluctant to try a similar 1-10 scale vape. Cloud Conniseur makes great looking stuff. I’ve been following him since the Zenith. Wish I’d bought one of those.

FYI zenith/atlas does also not have a temperature reading, you are using voltage power or watts instead... I actually like the analog scales personally a lot though

LordOfTheVapes

Hey @Oil420FL I saw your comment regarding low temp vaping in another thread and wanted to leave some more screwball data in this post for anyone interested.

Settings:
  • half-bowl config
  • scale measured 0.100g fine grind, no tamp
  • PID set to 390F
  • heatsoak bowl for 10 seconds

Cleared mostly in 1 long, slow drawn hit yielding golden brown AVB, amazing flavor and really smooth for me.

Top Bottom