any other scratch heads or djs here? or just musicians in general?

2clicker

Observer
one of my many hobbies is music. i do all my production on a MacBookPro i7 running Reason 5 w/ Record 1.5 for my DAW. Record 1.5 is amazing btw ;)

my sounds come from M-Audio Axiom Pro w/ Reason5 and a Numark TTX (or tech1200) both of which are run through my Rane TTM56 skratch mixer. ive also got a Korg KaossPad3 in the FX loop on the Rane. also using an Apogee Duet as my interface.

this allows me to use my scratch mixer to control both the turntable and Reason5/Axiom. example would be creating a tone (like bass) and being able to use the crossfader on it like its a record... one hand on the crossfader and one on the keys. add the FX of the KP3 if needed and it makes for some very interesting patterns. having the ability to switch notes while cutting the signal off and on. almost like a human arpeggiator if you will.

the stuff i do can be found anywhere in these styles: rock, punk, electro, hip hop, downtempo, ambient, glitch, D&B, classical, dub, breaks, scratch, w/ a little country fried flavor every now and then.

been scratching and just messing with sounds for around 11-12 years now.

anyone else?

Mod note: Threads not vapor related are to be posted in the Lounge. Thread moved.

*EDIT* thank you. i truly did believe i was in the lounge when i posted this... my apologies.

2clicker,

crawdad

floatin
i played drums for years but that was quite a while ago now. i really enjoyed it but my current life has no time/money/space for it, have different hobbies now and outlets for expression. i do miss it sometimes. it is a totally different connection to music to play it then just listen.

have samples?

crawdad,

CombustionJunction

What's Your Function?
I like to DJ Electronic Music just for fun. Just a dude and a laptop with VDJ, no mixer, or any real equipment. I'm pretty decent considering I use a laptop touchpad. I'm hoping to get a little shitty mixer at some point just so I'm not so limited. I never plan on going pro or anything.

CombustionJunction,

danalee48

Lol, I'm a classical singer if that relates to this whatsoever :)
I also play guitar, bass, trombone und piano. Music is quite literally my career, so I'm on of the lucky ones.

danalee48,

2clicker

Observer
crawdad said:
i played drums for years but that was quite a while ago now. i really enjoyed it but my current life has no time/money/space for it, have different hobbies now and outlets for expression. i do miss it sometimes. it is a totally different connection to music to play it then just listen.

have samples?

i know what you mean about not having time. that alone can drain musical creativity.

as for samples i dont have anything online anymore. i used to use soundclick.com and soundcloud.com.

like i was saying about not having time... i have not had much time in the last year and a half to work on sounds. all my old stuff was taken down.

ill see if i cant scrounge something up and ill post it. or maybe ill throw somethin new together. that is exactly what i need. a musical kick in the ass.

2clicker,

2clicker

Observer
CombustionJunction said:
I like to DJ Electronic Music just for fun. Just a dude and a laptop with VDJ, no mixer, or any real equipment. I'm pretty decent considering I use a laptop touchpad. I'm hoping to get a little shitty mixer at some point just so I'm not so limited. I never plan on going pro or anything.

thats cool man alot of people are really taking advantage of the digital solutions available these days.

i like a little of both myself. i dont like getting caught up in the analog vs. digital war. especially when it comes to synths... holy crap that stuff gets outta control.

IMO they both make sound so there is a place for them both. some people really take that stuff way too seriously, but i admire their loyalty.

2clicker,

2clicker

Observer
danalee48 said:
Lol, I'm a classical singer if that relates to this whatsoever :)
I also play guitar, bass, trombone und piano. Music is quite literally my career, so I'm on of the lucky ones.

wow very talented indeed. and of course singing would relate. its all about manipulation of sounds. such a fun concept.

ive actually been planning to take some piano lessens... or just lessens on the keys in general. just havent done it yet, but i will. i have absolutely no proper music training.

i did used to play the bass though. i had a nice fender jazz bass. loved that thing. played it through an ampeg. amazing punchiness.

what are you using to record? PT, Logic, or somethin?

2clicker,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Ive been a drummer pretty much since I was a kid. Ive played in many bands (of course hoping we would get signed - silly kids back then) but my coolest venture was me and 3-4 guys onboard my ship many moons ago. We put together a 'ships band' and played covers and originals in just about every country we hit during our Med/Gulf cruise. That was ALOT of fun. Ive since pretty much 'retired' my drumset to the shed after playing in the cover band scene for a while. Problem with being a self taught (hard rock) drummer is what I had in creativity, I seemed to lack in technique and finesse. Which translates to painful elbows and wrists - Im a loud ass hard hitting drummer. (Bands seemed to like that)

But, I pretty much refuse to sell that kit. It has WAY too many memories attached to it...

AGBeer,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
I.ve been playing guitar for almost 9 years now, and have vbeen singing for maybe half that time. Been in serveral bands, some for months, others for years. Spent a lot of $$, and time because of music. It was always worth it, playing live is a great feeling and especially for a signed act that can bring your band tons of exposure.

Now a days I am just writing, producing and recording my own stuff. I'm using Superior Drummer 2 for the drums which are real drum samples that were recorded with the best mics and in the best studios, by some of the best drummers. You can really make them sound SO good, listen to the new Periphery album to hear completely sampled and triggered drums. You'll never know if I didn't tell you.

I'm a huge fan of technical progressive metal like Protest the Hero, Periphery, Sikth, ect.. but now a days am working on writing really good, catchy pop based songs with an underlying technical proficiency that trained musicians will be able to appreciated but the average listener probably won't even notice. Textures and layers of different sounds, beats, phrases that when all mixed and eq perfectly play such a huge role in the overall sound scape. I've been trying to get the hang of making electronic sounds and manipulating them, but like anything it is quite daunting at first.

I still remember the first time I got high and wrote music. It was like my mind just open it's flood gates of idea's and thoughts. I'm constantly hearing music in my head and coming up with new songs idea. It gets annoying humming them into my phone for later but I feel lucky to have so many idea's all the time. I just wish I had all the time for my idea's.

aesthyrian,

The Budget Gourmet

Lurky turkey
I'm a bass player, but I haven't been in a band in a long time, so I guess I don't anymore.
I still have my instruments and I still know how to play, I'm just more of a music fan now.

I like messing with samples too. I have one of those Boss sampler boxes. It's fun, especially with vaping and the reverse button.
There's a couple of Korg synthesizer cartridges for Nintendo DS that can be pretty fun too.

The Budget Gourmet,

BillieBudd

Banjo picker here...mostly what is called Old Time music from the Southern Mountains...play a little guitar and occasionally make some money with percussion (Zydeco rubboard and snare drum). I am an old guy, too, and my electric music chops are rudimentary at best...

BillieBudd,
I play sax, fretted and fretless guitar and fretted and fretless bass, and mandolin. Really, really want to get a bowed instrument, either violin or cello.

Techno makes me want to puke my balls, not to necessarily imply that's what we're discussing. Going to see Primus on NYE for the fourth time and looking forward to it.

charliedontsurf,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
charliedontsurf said:
Going to see Primus on NYE for the fourth time and looking forward to it.

For the record - I envy you and hate you all at the same time. Ive had the honor of seeing Primus and Col. Claypool's (many) side projects on several occasions. The one that got away from me was several years ago when I still worked in radio. One of the promosexuals (promotions weenies) got me front row tickets and all access passes for a Primus show (just after Tim rejoined the band)

It was that weekend that my wife had committed our family to an out of state trip for her to photograph a wedding for some friends of ours.

I swear I think I saw my marriage flashing before my eyes.
Yeah, several years later and Im STILL bitter about that. Off topic a bit, but if I could meet one person today who would it be? You got it - Col. Claypool

AGBeer,

2clicker

Observer
charliedontsurf said:
I play sax, fretted and fretless guitar and fretted and fretless bass, and mandolin. Really, really want to get a bowed instrument, either violin or cello.

Techno makes me want to puke my balls, not to necessarily imply that's what we're discussing. Going to see Primus on NYE for the fourth time and looking forward to it.

well saying techno is pretty vague... there are alot of styles of electronic music that some may feel fall under the "techno" label

most of the really fast BOOM BOOM BOOM shit is lame IMO also

and as agbeer stated... Claypool is the fuggin man

enjoy the show!

2clicker,

The Budget Gourmet

Lurky turkey
I was just talking about making weird noises for personal entertainment. Like the Beatles and folks like that used to do with analog tape. And just for the record, one of my basses is fretless, and another one is a six-string, short-scale, piccolo. Some people might call it a guitar.;)
Would you care to explain your fretless guitar? I'm assuming it's a custom build, or you did the fret-yank thing. Either way, very interesting. In your case, you might have to get a cello and a violin.

The Budget Gourmet,
Top Bottom