Another state in the long line looking to ban JWH-018

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Today BOTH the House and Senate of the VA (Virginia) General Assembly introduced bills that would make the possession, sale, gifting, manufacture, and otherwise even thinking about "Synthetic Marijuana" illegal, and on par with the existing draconian Cannabis laws. (i.e. Schedule 1 substance etc)

LIS > Bill Tracking > HB1423 > 2011 session

LIS > Bill Tracking > SB745 > 2011 session

Penalties for possession, sale, gift, distribution or possession with intent to sell, give or distribute synthetic marijuana. Creates a new category for "synthetic marijuana" as a series of controlled substances listed in Schedule 1 ( 54.1-3446) of the Drug Control Act ( 54.1-3400 et seq.). Notwithstanding the provisions regarding punishment for possession and distribution of controlled substances listed in Schedule 1, punishment for possession and distribution of synthetic marijuana is largely in accord with the provisions for actual marijuana.

Dont get me wrong - I have NO ISSUE whatsoever banning JWH-018 and other 'synthetics' however, the wording of this bill leaves quite a bit to the interpretation of this law. THIS is what makes me nervous about this bill - it makes no mention to the specifics of what constitutes 'Synthetic Marijuana'. Heck, by the wording of this proposed law it would appear that one could be arrested and prosecuted because they were in possession of something that 'resembled' any sort of semblance of cannabis.

Also, thus far there is NO legislation in the works for MEDICAL Cannabis (yes its coming) but this seems like a hurdle it *may* be competing with.

Or just another argument for making medical cannibis legal :brow:

AGBeer,

collegerower

I love that as states move to make this illegal cali is moving to make weed legal. Let's hope so anyway...

collegerower,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Well, like I said I hope that the banning of the synthetic will make way for the NATURAL remedy that shouldnt be banned in the first place.

AGBeer,

OO

Technical Skeptical
AGBeer said:
Well, like I said I hope that the banning of the synthetic will make way for the NATURAL remedy that shouldnt be banned in the first place.
it shouldn't be banned in the first place.

why are we allowing people to ban the possession of anything?

this is a free country, our free market ideals work on the principle that if someone wants something, someone should and will be there to meet that need.

why is it acceptable to place anything off limits?

OO,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I can understand to a degree the need to protect some individuals from themselves as well as others.
Take crystal shit amphetamine. I wholeheartedly believe that this substance should be banned from the face of the Earth whether it only hurts the user or others in the process. Its the evil of evils that I have run across in my years and has NO place in society whatsoever.

AGBeer,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Wow, two days later and we have the proposal of yet ANOTHER IDENTICAL bill in the house - HB1427
Looks like someone doesnt want JWH-018 legal here...
I asked all of them their stance on NATURAL cannabis. We shall see if they reply.

AGBeer,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I can't believe they can get away with this. I guess this sheriff is making up the law as he goes along. :rolleyes:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...etic-marijuana-herbal-smoking-blends-packages

Polk officials threaten to arrest sellers of synthetic marijuana
October 26, 2010|By Gary Taylor and Kevin P. Connolly, Orlando Sentinel

Law-enforcement agencies in Polk County plan to be the first in the state to crack down on the sale of so-called synthetic marijuana products sold under names such as K2 and Spice.

Florida's Drug Policy Advisory Council recently urged the Florida Legislature to join 11 other states in banning the substances, but since that hasn't happened, Polk County authorities plan to use an existing state statute that makes it illegal to sell imitation controlled substances.

At least initially, only those selling the products will be targeted, said assistant State Attorney Chip Thullberry in Bartow.
Advertisement

The products, usually sold at small gasoline stations and mom-and-pop food stores, are sprayed with synthetic "cannabinoids" and can be purchased legally in Florida and most other states as incense.

"These synthetic marijuana products are not just being sold to adults throughout Polk County, they are routinely sold to our kids," Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said in a statement. "K2, Spice, or whatever this stuff is packaged as, is being sold as incense or potpourri, but the sellers clearly know it is being smoked with the purpose of getting high.

K2 comes in more than a dozen aromas, with fruits such as grape, orange and strawberry, and names such as Summit, Blue, Pink and Standard. It is sold in retail packages of 3 grams, usually for about $15 a package.

The substances are packaged as "herbal incense" or "potpourri" and warnings on packaging state they are not intended for human consumption. The packages contain herbs, spices, and various types of dried plant material sprayed with chemicals

"Because the wholesalers are telling retail stores that it is 'legal' to sell this drug, we are providing this warning to stores in Polk County: stop selling this product today, or you will be arrested for selling an imitation controlled substance, a third degree felony," Judd said.

"The compounds in Spice work on the brain in the same way as marijuana's active ingredient, THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol," Judd said. They primarily affect the central nervous system, he said.

There is no requirement to list packaging contents or ingredient amounts because the product purports that it is "not for human consumption," Polk County authorities said.

The same stores that sell K2 usually sell herbal smoking blends that look similar to marijuana. They are sold under brand names such as Zohai, Jamaican Gold Bud, Orange Krush, Black Magic, Serenity Now, California Dreams, Armageddon, King Krypto, Spike 99 and Bombay Blue. Sizes of the packages vary but can be as small as 1 gram for $15 or more.

Researchers have observed that when smoked, synthetic cannabinoids can deliver a high similar to marijuana, officials said. Consumption of synthetic cannabinoids causes impairment of human motor skills and changes the ability of a person to perceive, reason and understand.

According to University of Florida Pharmacologist Dr. Tonia Werner, the synthetic cannabinoid chemicals found in K2 have "psychotropic effects which can cause motor impairment and changes in their cognition."
Advertisement

The American Association of Poison Control Centers reported in September that synthetic cannabinoids have spurred more than 1,500 calls to U.S. Poison Control Centers in the United States so far this year.

The Haines City Police Department has joined the Sheriff's Office in the crackdown.

Vicki,

OO

Technical Skeptical
AGBeer said:
I can understand to a degree the need to protect some individuals from themselves as well as others.
Take crystal shit amphetamine. I wholeheartedly believe that this substance should be banned from the face of the Earth whether it only hurts the user or others in the process. Its the evil of evils that I have run across in my years and has NO place in society whatsoever.
what makes you think you have the right to tell others what they can or can't put into their own bodies?

OO,
Top Bottom