A short history of the sunglasses I've bought and worn.

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
In the late 1980's I was encouraged to get a pair of Ray Ban Balorama sunglasses for band photos - we actually had a photographer from High Times do the group photos, this French guy. Anyway beyond that cheap sunglasses bought on the street, a decent pair of Bolle that I bought for about $30 from sportsmansguide.com which were fine until my ex twisted and mangled them, but I digress.

Found this website, Acies, a few years ago and bought a nice pair of small aviator type sunglasses inexpensively, and I would say these are high quality.
However it was brought to my attention recently that I might enjoy sunglasses with polarized lenses more especially when driving.
Did a bit of web searching about the subject and some people recommend Polaroid sunglasses since they were the company that invented the polarized lens.
Digging deeper I found the brand "Cool-Ray" was Polaroid or was connected and used the Polaroid lenses.
Bought a pair of "Cool-Rays" from Ebay a few days ago and just got it in the mail today.
Nice. Purple tinted lenses. It's cloudy here today but I'm looking forward to driving with them on the next bright day.

What has been your experiences and what are you recommendations regarding sunglasses from a vaporist's point of view?

jeffp,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Well jeff, funny you should ask because I just happen to have an opinion on sunglasses! :lol:

My personal favorite sunglasses all have amber lenses. Not yellow, but a goldish brown. I find that this color lens amplifies colors. They are especially helpful when navigating water since the depth really shows up. And there's nothing like them in the fall with the leaves changing.

Just my :2c:

momofthegoons,

Mckdenton

polarized sunnys help out a lot on the river while fishing. eliminates the glare on the water and they make it able to see through the water.
:peace:

Mckdenton,

SSS

mmj patient under siege by the obama admin
i buy cheap-o polarized sunglasses since i use them to fish and they are destined to get fucked up or lost.

SSS,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
the thing with cheap o's is that sometimes the lenses have distortion, even peripherally, which can fuck everything up.
I'm actually pretty good about not losing sunglasses - they hang above the top buttoned button on my shirt or the neck of my t shirt.
Seems to do the job.

Mom what brand/model of amber lens glasses do you like?

I think we'd all agree that sunglasses are essential if you're vaped and outside.

jeffp,

greystr0ke

I actually just purchased a new pair of Oakleys after my old pair flew off my face while on the boat. This is the first pair of polarized sunglasses that I have owned and I love them to death right now. I haven't been on a boat yet nor have I been standing directly over water so I can't really say how they differ from that perspective but while I'm driving, I feel they are much clearer. However, they magnify these spots in my window tinting and that is getting kind of annoying.

greystr0ke,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
jeff, there is no specific brand. I used to go by how they felt/looked and they were usually cheap. Now, I need prescription, so not so cheap anymore. I buy my glasses at Costco since the price is right there and I'm tough on my glasses. The brown lens they use are not the optimum amber, but do the job pretty well.

momofthegoons,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Mom, I absolutely require reading glasses and I'm sure I need regular glasses as well. I'm secure with reading glasses and what I've done to save money is I buy prescription reading glasses online - sites like u-save-optical, where you enter in your prescription and the pupil distance and you get a decent pair of reading glasses for like $20. This isn't the same as cheap reading glasses you see everywhere. These are actual prescription lenses. There's quite a few websites that do this, so you can search around.

As far as not feeling secure about regular glasses, I've been told by experts that I'm either far sighted or near sighted or that I have an astigmatism, or that I don't need glasses, depending on the ophthalmologist or whatever they're called. There's no consistency regarding the diagnosis. It's almost like guess work with white coats and a clipboard.

jeffp,

bcleez

I buy the cheapest shittiest sunglasses I can find, then I break them or lose them. I think it is a lot of fun. When I go on vacation I buy the most obnoxious pair I can find and have fun with it.

I don't understand how people can justify spending a ton of money on sunglasses. I am the $5 or less guy.

bcleez,

dr3

greystr0ke, similar thing happened to my last pair of oakleys, my little cousin knocked them off my head, over the side of the boat and into the gulf.

After losing those, I got some Ray Bans, crushed those, and then a pair of Revos that I left on top of my car, I determined I do not need any more expensive sunglasses. I got a cheap pair of Wayfarer knock offs from amazon for a buck or two, and that was about 2 years ago. Can't lose or break a pair of cheap sunglasses for the life of me...

I'll say this: if you're a pilot, angler, boat captain or the like, a good pair of Polarized sunglasses is ideal. But I just lose/break expensive shades, and before that waste too much energy worrying about them.

dr3,

Purple-Days

All my readers are from online. Buddy Hollies, and shell and even a pair of checkered ones :lol:

My eye doctor gave me some advice (after getting my implants) that using a lower power of readers would give much better depth perception (he was right). Use the lowest strength that is adequate for best overall experience.

I used to get the Ray-Ban aviators from the BX. But that style isn't for me anymore. I don't like nose pads. I am using several pair of tinted safety glasses now. And one pair of Blues Brothers style that remain on my Trilby sitting on my amp mostly. I'm ready for that photo op, Jeff. :cool:

Purple-Days,

RussyRoo

I've got a pair of Oakley Juliets which rock!
For sport i have oakley halfjackets with a variety of lenses for a variety of activities.

I love Oakleys!!:lol:

RussyRoo,

bcleez

the ob said:
MacRadish said:
yeah, luxotica (sp?) basically owns most of the sunglass brands. it is practically a monopoly.
That's what I'm saying! Cheap sunglasses all the way... or get the fakes... geez even for 20 bucks you can get the knock offs that are basically real without the name. I can never tell what is fake or real, especially for the 1 second that you are walking past someone, you could never tell. Especially when we are all pretty high most of the time.

bcleez,

hydrophilic

ONLY Oakley. Bad sunglasses are fucked up and can really harm your eyes. Do yourself a favor and spend some cash on a decent pair, your eyes will thank you.
I wanna get some of the Half X's
Right now I have some gascans which are alright but not as functional as I'd like. And I have some Splices which are the best sunglasses ever made imo, they stopped making them a few years back but you can find them on ebay and online in a few stores.

hydrophilic,

bcleez

My cheap sunglasses don't run huge multimedia campaigns, act as sponsors to events or athletes, and are not priced high to trick people into thinking they are some how better than no name ones.

That is what you are paying for. Cheapies come with the same lenses but you pay a little more if you want the more sophisticated cheap sunglasses. I meant cheap sunglasses if there was any confusion, not counterfeit.

The point I am trying to make is that some capitalist will find a way to offer you the same type of product for a cheaper price. I do not buy the imitation oakleys or raybans, obviously the fakes do not have the same quality. I buy some no name brand that has the qualities that expensive brands offer without the fashion. I am married, so i don't give a shit how foolish I look.

Here is a good article on sunglasses and how they work http://science.howstuffworks.com/sunglass.htm

bcleez,
Top Bottom