2 cents needed.

Bambu

hello all and thanks for stopping in, heres my story:
so lately ive been getting into oil vaping, I like it very much for a few reasons. ,,unfortunately its not readily available in my state , so I want to make my own. I did the whole cooking in vg/pg and such, it worked, ,, but not strong enough,, after a little research im seeing its better to start with a concentrate.
at my first ever attempt at making a concentrate , heres what I did.
I decided to use the mbm to make a tincture..
using everlclear and 2 oz of regs,,, I went with regs just for practice, should things work out ill move up to a higher quality...
after following directions I ended up with a darkish (probably result of regs) but strong smelling tincture.....so far pretty satisfied. .
After a couple of days sitting in jar,, I got my hot plate, x2 boiler and proceeded to burn away alcohol.
and like I imagined ,, I ended up with a dark thick, sappy material, (when cooled.)
I gathered it and have it in a small silicone container. Product looks and behaves like resin from a pipe, but smells nice.
so,,, what the hell do I do with this? im not thinking this is vapable,,, I can barely get it off my mini knife..
heres one thing I did,,, I took some of a product called wax liquidizer, (pineapple),, did a little adjusting,,, and I do have a vapable product.
Problem is , it smell and taste terrible, , not enjoyable, and then I get nervous , like maybe I didnt burn of all alcohol or something,,, tho im quite sure I did. ,,
as far as effects,,, well I only took a couple of draws,,, I did this kinds late and was already under effects ,, so hard to tell, ,, and im not sure I wanna smoke more of it..

so if I were to make a vapable oil,, am I on the right path?
what could I do different?
I know there alt carriers like ej mix and such.
would this have been better.? or even matter?
any advice offered is welcome,
thanks

Bambu,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
You soaked the goods too long,dude ;) ! Next time do a quick wash (30-45) seconds.(after that you can do a second soak for longer time and save this tincture for edibles). The more you soak it, the more nasties like waxes and chlorophyll are dissolving,that's why u got nasty tasting and dark product.You can search the forum for QWISO and QWET for more tips.
I think ethanol is a better choice than ISO. Prefreezing both solvent and product is a must. Also double winterization can further aid the refinement process. Basicly you redissolve the end product in ethanol and put in the freezer again,after that filter while it is cold. The more pure your end product is ,the less damage will happen to your attys.
I have never mixed oil and e-juice.. it seems like waste of time ,and involving more irritable compounds in your vapor. Also i've heard it ruins regular atomizers very fast and when that happens you loose the pricey product thats left inside the cart.

Farid

Unless you have friends with you to offer extra hands, I find Iso extracts too quickly for me to be comfortable with. With ethanol that little bit of extra time makes it a lot easier to get consistent results.

Farid,

herbivore21

@Bambu Don't use solvents, do rosin. You will spend as much money on your extraction solvents before you even learn to make decent oil as you could spend on a large rosin press that will make you better quality, safer oil.

None here will argue with my extraction credentials, especially where QWISO and QWET are concerned. If you are only making your own medicine, solvent extraction is almost never going to be justified. :2c:

I also want to highlight that ISO does not work for winterization. You can and should freeze it when using it as mentioned above, but IME the waxy fraction of the ISO/oil solution never settles and separates when frozen if the solution is dissolved using iso.

Ethanol and methanol work for winterization, as does acetone. Noone here should be touching the latter two for safety reasons. Winterization also requires more purging/boiling of solvents and in most home processing scenarios will lead to drastic terp loss and a less tasty product, which will be smoother on the throat both due to this and the removed waxy fraction.

Everyone who has followed my extraction journey over the years will know that I abandoned solvents years ago for solventless extracts (rosin and full melt hash). Despite my skills with solvents being as good as anybody elses out there, the solventless meds are just better, hands down. Better taste, better effect, better feeling afterwards :) :peace: :2c:

Bambu

im willing to try , but im very new,,,
what are rosins? and to many abr/acro. so not really sure..
rosins to be used in place of juice?
as far as me soaking the bud,, I put in the mbm (guess that's where I got all the chlorophyll) on tincture,, then removed all the plant material. .
it was then stored for a few days, cuz I really didnt know what to do... (I get a little impulsive, to my wifes dismay,, so many things to learn in the world tho!! :) ). so then I went through the boiling process , and proceeded to make a mess:).
a link or a specific guide would be awesome,, I would like to keep trying,
u guys think what I made is safe to smoke? or throw it away?
also,, im considering purchasing the source by extractcraft,, not sure tho,,, do u guys think its worth it,, for my situation? thoughts?

Bambu,

herbivore21

im willing to try , but im very new,,,
what are rosins? and to many abr/acro. so not really sure..
rosins to be used in place of juice?
as far as me soaking the bud,, I put in the mbm (guess that's where I got all the chlorophyll) on tincture,, then removed all the plant material. .
it was then stored for a few days, cuz I really didnt know what to do... (I get a little impulsive, to my wifes dismay,, so many things to learn in the world tho!! :) ). so then I went through the boiling process , and proceeded to make a mess:).
a link or a specific guide would be awesome,, I would like to keep trying,
u guys think what I made is safe to smoke? or throw it away?
also,, im considering purchasing the source by extractcraft,, not sure tho,,, do u guys think its worth it,, for my situation? thoughts?
Rosin refers to pressing flowers inside of an envelope of parchment between heated plates (between 140-230f works best ime). It gets similar yields to solvents but it makes infinitely better medicine from the same flowers compared to solvent extracts. The source will not do the final purge for you without making collecting your meds impossible and you could buy a good rosin press for the same money.

Also to know whether what you made is alright, we'd need more information. I would only use it for edibles if not sure.

herbivore21,

Deleted Member 1643

heres one thing I did,,, I took some of a product called wax liquidizer, (pineapple),, did a little adjusting,,, and I do have a vapable product.
Problem is , it smell and taste terrible, , not enjoyable, and then I get nervous , like maybe I didnt burn of all alcohol or something,,, tho im quite sure I did. ,,

You might try using this material (dissolved in Wax Liquidizer) as a tincture, not to waste it. That is, try a drop under the tongue for a few minutes without swallowing. Effects typically begin in 20-30 minutes. For safety, this is assuming you've extracted in ethanol (Everclear) and dissolved in Wax Liquidizer, which is a mixture of propylene and polyethylene glycols. The glycols facilitate absorption through the oral mucosa, which is faster than ingestion. You could also use for medibles. The impurities from the long, hot ethanol extraction will gunk up e-cig coils very quickly and as you've noticed, burnt chlorophyll tastes lousy.

Not sure what you mean by vaping oil, since you also mention extracting in VG and PG. Do you want to dab oil or vape e-juice? Also, not sure what you mean by "regs", so no idea what concentration your product is. Did you weigh or measure the volume after boiling off ethanol? How much of this did you dissolve in Wax Liquidizer and what was your final volume?

Typically get about 5 mls e-juice from 0.5-1 oz flowers. A drop or two of this every half hour produces good tincture effects. (Interestingly, this should not be decarbed as temps are kept under 130F. Need to try decarbing to see if it produces stronger effects.)

Bambu

I have seen people on videos using all sorts of things to do as you described, didnt know that was what it was called. I didnt know what to make of some videos, ,, I mean the extract looked good I suppose, ,but seeing people using flat irons was a bit of a turnoff..lol
, so the yield would be relative to other extraxtion methods using same amounts?

as far as the ingredients to the batch I have,
nothing really else to explain,,, regs, everclear and the methods, ,, unless my cooking methods could cause varied effects?

as far as the source, , it would not do the final purge,,? not sure I understand. ..
it looks interesting I must say,,, very easy,, and I dont mind spending the $$$ if it lead to success. .

Last edited:
Bambu,

herbivore21

I have seen people on videos using all sorts of things to do as you described, didnt know that was what it was called. I didnt know what to make of some videos, ,, I mean the extract looked good I suppose, ,but seeing people using flat irons was a bit of a turnoff..lol
, so the yield would be relative to other extraxtion methods using same amounts?

as far as the ingredients to the batch I have,
nothing really else to explain,,, regs, everclear and the methods, ,, unless my cooking methods could cause varied effects?

as far as the source, , it would not do the final purge,,? not sure I understand. ..
it looks interesting I must say,,, very easy,, and I dont mind spending the $$$ if it lead to success. .
A flat iron is the cheapest, most jenky way to get rosin. It does work however, and is often a good way to see how rosin will work for you.

With my 1 ton vise press at 210-220f, I find that I can get 16% yields in my first squish. With another squish or two, you'll get to 20% with good material. Higher yields with more resinous flowers! Rosin is light years better than QWET made with home methods and cooking equipment.

If you do not use a vacuum chamber or lab hotplate with some kind of anti-bumping measure, you are going to get garbage results with QWET compared to your first attempts with rosin. Rosin is literally idiot proof. I am not calling you an idiot of course, but what I mean to say is that you simply cannot go wrong with rosin if you get a good press, good flowers and good parchment. If you do not get much resin out of your flower, you need more pressure, more heat or you need to make sure your nug is staying between the plates and not getting squished outside of them. If you buy the absolute best closed loop solvent extractor that money can buy, you can go wrong in so many ways still. There is no short-cut to epic solvent extracts. You need to know a lot more and control many more variables to get good results.

Check this thread for all the info you need on rosin: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/rosin-technique-easy-diy-solventless.17470/

With rosin, so long as your plates are no hotter than 230-240f (I never exceed this) and your flower stays in place between the plates and your parchment doesn't tear/break, you will get great oil every time. Anybody can do it! It is very quick to make, you can even squish as you dab, grab a fresh nug, squish it and dab whenever you feel the need! DIY dabs made on demand :D

The source will not let you finish a solvent purge because the dish is a very unhelpful shape for scraping your final meds if you use it to fully purge the solvent. I do not know of anybody who has had success with this. Also the stock dish is metal and scraping from it may introduce metal shavings to your meds that are scratched off the vessel.

Seriously, abandon solvents. It will be the best thing you ever did. You'll be amazed how much better simply juicing a nug with hot plates tastes than anything you're going to accomplish with ethanol at home.

As an aside, I do not recommend vaping VG/PG at all. VG and PG are both known to produce probable carcinogens (glycidol and Propylene oxide respectively) when vaporized in ecig atomizers.

Bambu

You might try using this material (dissolved in Wax Liquidizer) as a tincture, not to waste it. That is, try a drop under the tongue for a few minutes without swallowing. Effects typically begin in 20-30 minutes. For safety, this is assuming you've extracted in ethanol (Everclear) and dissolved in Wax Liquidizer, which is a mixture of propylene and polyethylene glycols. The glycols facilitate absorption through the oral mucosa, which is faster than ingestion. You could also use for medibles. The impurities from the long, hot ethanol extraction will gunk up e-cig coils very quickly and as you've noticed, burnt chlorophyll tastes lousy.

Not sure what you mean by vaping oil, since you also mention extracting in VG and PG. Do you want to dab oil or vape e-juice? Also, not sure what you mean by "regs", so no idea what concentration your product is. Did you weigh or measure the volume after boiling off ethanol? How much of this did you dissolve in Wax Liquidizer and what was your final volume?

Typically get about 5 mls e-juice from 0.5-1 oz flowers. A drop or two of this every half hour produces good tincture effects. (Interestingly, this should not be decarbed as temps are kept under 130F. Need to try decarbing to see if it produces stronger effects.)

regs , (regular) low quality weed., so yeah, its probably hard for you to surmise with such little info.

I always decarb,,45-50 min at 220°
(I can actually learned to make very potent edibles using the mbm) I just am not really interested in eating it anymore. decarb....maybe I shouldnt?

vaping is what I want to do ultimately, ,
I mentioned the vg/pg,, the first time I tried,, before the tincture,,,,, I simply x2 boiled decarbed material for 2.5-3hrs at about 140°,, 4gm of flower,,32 ml 24mlvg,8mlpg,,,, it worked ,, but not very potent,,,, ..
I just would like to make some potent oil that I can vape...
also...I used measured 1 grm and I went with 2 ml of liquid...
not sure bout my total yield since I didnt measure it all,, looking from the 1 gram. I probably got like 4g

A flat iron is the cheapest, most jenky way to get rosin. It does work however, and is often a good way to see how rosin will work for you.

With my 1 ton vise press at 210-220f, I find that I can get 16% yields in my first squish. With another squish or two, you'll get to 20% with good material. Higher yields with more resinous flowers! Rosin is light years better than QWET made with home methods and cooking equipment.

If you do not use a vacuum chamber or lab hotplate with some kind of anti-bumping measure, you are going to get garbage results with QWET compared to your first attempts with rosin. Rosin is literally idiot proof. I am not calling you an idiot of course, but what I mean to say is that you simply cannot go wrong with rosin if you get a good press, good flowers and good parchment. If you do not get much resin out of your flower, you need more pressure, more heat or you need to make sure your nug is staying between the plates and not getting squished outside of them. If you buy the absolute best closed loop solvent extractor that money can buy, you can go wrong in so many ways still. There is no short-cut to epic solvent extracts. You need to know a lot more and control many more variables to get good results.

Check this thread for all the info you need on rosin: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/rosin-technique-easy-diy-solventless.17470/

With rosin, so long as your plates are no hotter than 230-240f (I never exceed this) and your flower stays in place between the plates and your parchment doesn't tear/break, you will get great oil every time. Anybody can do it! It is very quick to make, you can even squish as you dab, grab a fresh nug, squish it and dab whenever you feel the need! DIY dabs made on demand :D

The source will not let you finish a solvent purge because the dish is a very unhelpful shape for scraping your final meds if you use it to fully purge the solvent. I do not know of anybody who has had success with this. Also the stock dish is metal and scraping from it may introduce metal shavings to your meds that are scratched off the vessel.

Seriously, abandon solvents. It will be the best thing you ever did. You'll be amazed how much better simply juicing a nug with hot plates tastes than anything you're going to accomplish with ethanol at home.

As an aside, I do not recommend vaping VG/PG at all. VG and PG are both known to produce probable carcinogens (glycidol and Propylene oxide respectively) when vaporized in ecig atomizers.

will I be able to vape the extract from the press or only dab? do i need to add something to make it vapable?

in the sourse vids,,, ive seen people change to a smaller (silicone) container while its still runny,,, put back into machine and let the purge continue. ..no good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bambu,

herbivore21

will I be able to vape the extract from the press or only dab?

in the sourse vids,,, ive seen people change to a smaller (silicone) container while its still runny,,, put back into machine and let the purge continue. ..no good?
Purging on silicone is a practice that I have long warned against. Silicone mats deteriorate over the time even when never used in high temp applications. I have seen the green edge sections of oil slick mats delaminate onto extracts before at room temp! Especially when vacuum is also involved - these people have no idea what is happening between that silicone, the oil and the solvent in there!

You can do anything you would do with any solvent based extract with rosin. Dab it, use it in an oil pen, use it in a flower vape on some flower or on a concentrate pad :)

Bambu

,, boy,, I never thought Id end up with hair tools and cooking equipment heh.
so lets be specific semi. . .
1/2 oz (an amount I might try) of high grade flowers. .
pressed (not using a 1ton hot iron) :) but maybe some "household" item, so that I may practice without investing to quickly .
how many ml or rather .ml or .gm rather would I end up with ,thats vapable in my pen? ballpark it if possible.

herbivore21

,, boy,, I never thought Id end up with hair tools and cooking equipment heh.
so lets be specific semi. . .
1/2 oz (an amount I might try) of high grade flowers. .
pressed (not using a 1ton hot iron) :) but maybe some "household" item, so that I may practice without investing to quickly .
how many ml or rather .ml or .gm rather would I end up with ,thats vapable in my pen? ballpark it if possible.
If you are using an ecig pen, get rid of it and get yourself a proper oil pen. Mixing rosin with ejuice is adulteration IMO - you are wilfully adding a substance that is not safe to heat and inhale in ecig tanks and which noticeably dilutes the effects and ruins the flavor.

When you have rosin, you can simply use a concentrate pen cartridge (kandypens/puffco/w9tech/linx/divine tribe are popular manufacturers) or any flower vape with an SS concentrate pad or bed of herb. You can also dab of course. All of these methods vaporize your rosin in it's original form - it will be clearer, headier, much more powerful and much tastier. It tastes delicious and is much smoother than anything mixed with ejuice, which as above should be avoided IMO.

You absolutely must use something to give you additional pressure to have success with rosin if you use a hair iron. A c-clamp such as those made by Irwin or similar is tried and true for this task. You definitely need that ton of pressure or you're going to get shitty yields. I suggest taking that money you were gonna spend on a source and buying a proper rosin press and some oil cartridges for your pen. Check the thread I linked above for many, many rosin press options and ask in there for which press is best for your budget - sadly I do not have time to assist in this. Pens are a dime a dozen and you should find a suitable oil-only cartridge for your existing ecig battery cheaply and easily.

If you squish a half oz of high quality flower, you could expect to get 2-3g of rosin :) BTW, avoid using ml's as a unit of measurement for concentrates. This is a measure of volume, and not mass. If you have a number of different samples of oil of different consistencies of the same volume (say 1ml), you would find that not all of them equal 1 gram. They can indeed vary quite considerably. This is because the volume is measuring the physical space occupied by the material, not the total quantity that is there!

Deleted Member 1643

I always decarb,,45-50 min at 220°
(I can actually learned to make very potent edibles using the mbm) I just am not really interested in eating it anymore. decarb....maybe I shouldnt?

The conventional wisdom is that if you're going to dab oil or vape e-juice, you don't need to decarb, The temps required are high enough to decarb for you, just like smoking. If you're going to ingest as a medible or tincture, you do need to decarb. With decarbing, you lose most of the terpene flavors and the oil is darker and thinner.

However, IME e-juice made from concentrate that's never reached temps high enough to decarb is surprisingly active as a tincture. Might actually switch from vaping, because tincture avoids heating glycols to high temperatures which produces toxic chemicals, as @herbivore21 notes. Need to try decarbed and not decarbed tincture side-by-side to compare.

Deleted Member 1643,

Bambu

If you are using an ecig pen, get rid of it and get yourself a proper oil pen. Mixing rosin with ejuice is adulteration IMO - you are wilfully adding a substance that is not safe to heat and inhale in ecig tanks and which noticeably dilutes the effects and ruins the flavor.

When you have rosin, you can simply use a concentrate pen cartridge (kandypens/puffco/w9tech/linx/divine tribe are popular manufacturers) or any flower vape with an SS concentrate pad or bed of herb. You can also dab of course. All of these methods vaporize your rosin in it's original form - it will be clearer, headier, much more powerful and much tastier. It tastes delicious and is much smoother than anything mixed with ejuice, which as above should be avoided IMO.

You absolutely must use something to give you additional pressure to have success with rosin if you use a hair iron. A c-clamp such as those made by Irwin or similar is tried and true for this task. You definitely need that ton of pressure or you're going to get shitty yields. I suggest taking that money you were gonna spend on a source and buying a proper rosin press and some oil cartridges for your pen. Check the thread I linked above for many, many rosin press options and ask in there for which press is best for your budget - sadly I do not have time to assist in this. Pens are a dime a dozen and you should find a suitable oil-only cartridge for your existing ecig battery cheaply and easily.

If you squish a half oz of high quality flower, you could expect to get 2-3g of rosin :) BTW, avoid using ml's as a unit of measurement for concentrates. This is a measure of volume, and not mass. If you have a number of different samples of oil of different consistencies of the same volume (say 1ml), you would find that not all of them equal 1 gram. They can indeed vary quite considerably. This is because the volume is measuring the physical space occupied by the material, not the total quantity that is there!

yea ml was a bad choice,, I am aware that diff liquids have different weights.
hmm so a resin press eh? a super quick search showed prices from 200$-3000$!!
considering I would plunk down 600$ for a source, ,, I definitely wohld

herbivore21

yea ml was a bad choice,, I am aware that diff liquids have different weights.
hmm so a resin press eh? a super quick search showed prices from 200$-3000$!!
considering I would plunk down 600$ for a source, ,, I definitely wohld
This is why you need to explore the other rosin threads further. There are many different presses out there. One of the smaller presses will do the job for you. 1 ton of pressure with 2 inch round/square plates will be plenty :D

My setup cost me ~$200 usd. I did make it myself and the plates I used are no longer available, but I know that other similar options are around. Ask in the other thread ;)

Bambu

sorry for last post, messed up.

I did a quick glance (im at work) ,, I seen from 200$-3000$ some say plenty uses , like tshirts!!
firstly thanks for your advice and I will check out the forums and some reviews...
so I imagine they sell some exclusively for flowers?
are there any common features I should look for?
common terms and such, ,,
well thanks again,, gonna check stuff out.
keep you guys posted. :)

xer0

I can't recommend rosin enough!!

I used to swear by QWET...was using it with mexibrick and was happily getting 10-11% each run. Since Wine Chateau quit shipping to my state I had only been able to get 75% which does work but gets significantly smaller yields...like 5-6%.

I got fed up one night and found the instructions to make an HMK press. Ordered the parts and had it built a week later. Best less than $50 that I have ever spent. I typically get .1-.2 per gram...just depends on the strain.

I used to love the taste of QWET but after tasting rosin the QWET is bland and harsh...and don't get me started on BHO. Rosin is a mouth full of flavor every time...even with a dirty Clapton coil.

herbivore21

sorry for last post, messed up.

I did a quick glance (im at work) ,, I seen from 200$-3000$ some say plenty uses , like tshirts!!
firstly thanks for your advice and I will check out the forums and some reviews...
so I imagine they sell some exclusively for flowers?
are there any common features I should look for?
common terms and such, ,,
well thanks again,, gonna check stuff out.
keep you guys posted. :)
Make sure you check out the rosin thread I linked above. There are many presses (all of the modified tshirt presses AFAIK don't get enough pressure to yield meaningful amounts) that do not squish acceptably hard and these should be avoided. Still there are many good options at all price points.

The main thing is you need 1 ton or more of pressure with the plates sized above. I prefer presses that heat both plates individually (some presses only heat one plate and you have to leave the plates together when not being used). Please do check out the rosin thread and do your homework here so you can get the ideal setup :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom