13.5v for log vapes?

lwien

Deadhead101 said:
The only way problems could occur is if someone decides to or accidentally goes over the recommended voltage.

And considering the state of mind that we are all in during a vaping session, what you described above is a distinct possibility and is a very valid reason why not to do this and why this may keep the manufactures up at night. Both Tom and Rick have built very safe products for us to use and by putting a non-stock power supply on their units takes that element of safety down quite a few notches.

But hey, I never wore a helmet when I rode my bikes (way before helmet laws). Never made much sense being that if I couldn't have the wind blowing through my hair at 70+ mph, why ride a bike, so I guess it's all a bit relative.

lwien,

Deadhead101

I am the Vapor King--I can do anything
lwien,
I agree with you completely. That is why it took me so long to come to the decision, and I am completely assuming the risk. I never had a warranty because I have a pandora, however I'm sure Tom and Pammy would have helped me out anyway. Now, though if anything happens to my PD I will not expect the same kind of service.
I think a variable voltage power is theoretically a practical way for people to LOWER the temperatures of their log vapes. I'll have to see how it works once it comes in the mail.

Deadhead101,

Gunky

I think the vape makers can just stipulate that the warrantee is void if any other power supply used, issue dire warnings and disclaim responsibility. If anyone wants to play around with the voltage then they take responsibility for themselves. They could explain that their response to burned out resistors would be to sell a repair kit, etc.

Gunky,

lwien

Gunky said:
I think the vape makers can just stipulate that the warrantee is void if any other power supply used, issue dire warnings and disclaim responsibility.

Along with coming into this forum to discourage the use of these types of devices, which they have.

lwien,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Rick said:
underdog
The traditional log vape design will take all the amps you want to feed it but it will only consume about .7 amp. Think about it folks, how many amps is it getting when you plug it into a car cig lighter plug? 30 amps? 50/60 amps? They still purr like a kitten(except no purr). On the traditonal log vape design, only VOLTAGE affects the heat. Amperage has no affect on heat as long as you have the minimum required, a bit less than one amp.

Haha whoa I think I was a bit too vaked when I wrote my original comment! You're right of course, not sure what I was thinking but it sure wasn't in line with Ohm's law eh?

underdog,

SmokingElectricity

well i have been a tad worried about frying my zap prematurely, so i decided to try the sock technique. all the socks i own were way too big, so i checked out the dollar store and found a pair of homer simpson socks in a kids size, i must say the results are great.
homerzap.jpg

SmokingElectricity,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
SmokingElectricity said:
well i have been a tad worried about frying my zap prematurely, so i decided to try the sock technique. all the socks i own were way too big, so i checked out the dollar store and found a pair of homer simpson socks in a kids size, i must say the results are great.
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8714/homerzap.jpg

haha that's awesome, I wish the dollar store here had Homer socks!

underdog,

Wolface

I just used a thick neoprene can koozie for the first month or so with my walnut PD until she warmed up a little.

Wolface,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
The PD comes with a plug to hook it straight to a car cigarette plug. When running a car is putting out 13-14 volts through the electrical system. hmmm

elmomuzz,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
The Zap also comes with a car adapter. It's fine to run it on that for a short period of time, you just don't want to leave your vape on that voltage for extended amounts of time. It will decrease the life.

Great sock koozie, Smoking! :lol:

momofthegoons,

Wolface

That should mean that by using a variable power supply to dial the temperature down to say 10 volts when not in use, then back up to around 13.5 about 10 minutes or so before using, should actually INCREASE the life of the unit over the long haul. Shouldn't it?

Wolface,

lwien

Wolface said:
That should mean that by using a variable power supply to dial the temperature down to say 10 volts when not in use, then back up to around 13.5 about 10 minutes or so before using, should actually INCREASE the life of the unit over the long haul. Shouldn't it?

Unless the expansion and contraction due to varying the heat causes it to decrease the life of the unit.

lwien,

Wolface

Wouldn't being plugged into a timer , going from stone cold to full power every day wear it out faster then? That would mean way more expansion and contraction than ever? That would put more stress on the unit than going from 10 volts to 13.5 and back to 10 again?

Wolface,

Deadhead101

Wolface said:
Wouldn't being plugged into a timer , going from stone cold to full power every day wear it out faster then? That would mean way more expansion and contraction than ever? That would put more stress on the unit than going from 10 volts to 13.5 and back to 10 again?
If I were a betting man I would say that the wear and tear received from turning the unit on and off is negligible, unless your talking about several years of continually shutting it on and off. Just my opinion though.

Deadhead101,

SmokingElectricity

The flux in temp of being on a timer maybe be okay for the insides of the unit, but for the actual wood...

not so much due to heat expansion/contraction. even more so in colder climates.

SmokingElectricity,

Gunky

I got hold of a 13.5 volt transformer and tried it on my new cherry zap. It's a very new and green zap which probably will eventually have a higher running temperature than it has now. After running it with 13.5 volts for an hour, I tried it. Hot day um! Wow that thing hits. You have to draw pretty fast and the abv comes out really dark, almost black. Pretty intense hits, basically clearing out the bowl in one or two puffs. I did cough a bit. Also I began to smell the wood a bit more. Hot wood smell, not quite charring... It's a bit too much and probably bad for the zap but I'll probably try it again now and then when I'm in a thrill-seeking mood. Now if I could get a power set up that delivered around 12.7 volts.... hmnnn...

Gunky,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Gunky, my suggestion would be to not run it so long on the 13.5 prior to use. I've found that I only had to run it about 10 minutes on the 13.5 before it was plenty hot. And that was with my original Zap with the old style heat port. After an hour, that thing must have been red hot. Back off a little and switch back to the 12v right after use. Your Zap will love you for it. :cool:

momofthegoons,

Deadhead101

I got a variable voltage tattoo power supply that ranges from 1-15 Volts (about $45 with the additional cable and power supply). It works great for me. Basically after setting it up I started the voltage low--around 6--and gradually worked it up until it got to my perfect temp(herb comes out looking golden). Anyone looking for lower temps this is a great solution IMO.

Deadhead101,

Gunky

momofthegoons said:
Gunky, my suggestion would be to not run it so long on the 13.5 prior to use. I've found that I only had to run it about 10 minutes on the 13.5 before it was plenty hot. And that was with my original Zap with the old style heat port. After an hour, that thing must have been red hot. Back off a little and switch back to the 12v right after use. Your Zap will love you for it. :cool:
When I tried it originally I'd had to pack everything up briefly for a visitor so the hour running was from a cold start. I tried getting it warmed up w/ 12v, switching to 13.5 and then hitting it around 5 minutes later and swapping back to 12 after a short session. This worked well! Supercharged log session.

Gunky,
Top Bottom