The Angus Halogen Vape by YLL Vape

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
not replaceable, but we get the bulb under controlled well, it has good lifetime
I was interested in this device at first but I this has put me off completely. Ideally it is user-replaceable, but it sounds like this is just a paperweight if it burns out after the first year.

I suspect we'll see other halogen bulb portables start to emerge. I am always impressed by the work of artisans and makers in our community.

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
not replaceable, but we get the bulb under controlled well, it has good lifetime
and what happens when your bulb dies after warranty runs off ? Also do you have to ship it two ways for 2$ bulb replacement ? Maybe you should get to design board and figure it out, or do you prefer it to not be user replaceable for some reason please explain .

Texus

While yes there are bulb failures that can occur, these bulbs are rated for what, 2000 hrs? So if each session lasts 3 min, by math, we are looking at 40,000 sessions before bulb dies. Which would come to 21 years and change with 5 3-min sessions every day. Or 109 years if only one session a day.

This is far beyond the timeframe for batteries of a few yrs that leads so many of us to choose vapes with swappable batteries. Which this cutie does have.

Folks who are more knowledgeable, please correct math if needed.

And even if not officially user-replaceable, if you or a friend are handy with a soldering iron I don't think that would be too hard a job. Those bulbs tend to have nice long legs.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
My concern with the bulb is not about the best case scenario. An average rating is great but not a guarantee. I have no confidence that the vape is built to last past 1 year.

Texus

My concern with the bulb is not about the best case scenario. An average rating is great but not a guarantee. I have no confidence that the vape is built to last past 1 year.
And why not? The darn thing isn't even out.

And at its likely price point, I'll roll the dice on a bum bulb. Again, also not likely to be a tough solder job in the worst case scenario.

It feels like you are holding this to a higher standard than others vapes. There are lots of potential parts that can fail in a number of vapes, regardless of if they include a halogen bulb. Resistors, capacitors, etc. But you do you.

To my mind, the swappable 16500s are the biggie from a longevity standpoint.

And I am willing and able to take risks and be an early adopter to help support innovators in this field.

Portable halogen vape is some dope innovation IMHO.

Abysmal Vapor

@Texus Hey man :) ! The equasion is not as simple as you imagine. As someone who has built a few halogen vapes , i can say that there are bulbs that fail in way shorter time then expected. Up to a number of hours means to me that it can be anywhere from 0 to the MAX... Btw in installation guides for halogen capsules it is said you shouldnt touch it with fingers,cause skin oil will make residue on the bulb which might result in it shattering due to the increased internal temp/pressure of the atmosphere.I imagine vapor reclaim/residue can have the same effect.
First Halogen portable was the Venus Apollo appeared almost a decade ago ,but we havent seen many units after it that utilize the same tech,so it can be considered innovative in some way i guess .

Last edited:

Misterhyde

While yes there are bulb failures that can occur, these bulbs are rated for what, 2000 hrs? So if each session lasts 3 min, by math, we are looking at 40,000 sessions before bulb dies. Which would come to 21 years and change with 5 3-min sessions every day. Or 109 years if only one session a day.

This is far beyond the timeframe for batteries of a few yrs that leads so many of us to choose vapes with swappable batteries. Which this cutie does have.

Folks who are more knowledgeable, please correct math if needed.

And even if not officially user-replaceable, if you or a friend are handy with a soldering iron I don't think that would be too hard a job. Those bulbs tend to have nice long legs.
Wow, this is a great way of explaining things. I was also concerned about the non replaceable aspect. Your analysis makes me think of the bulb more like the heater in other vapes, which is never user replaceable. I don't think there is any vape out there that is expected to last you 20 years. I understand also what abysmal vapor is saying about those being ideal circumstances. However, it was said that it will come with a 1 year warranty. I would hope that the year would give enough time to show a premature dying bulb. I love watching the evolution of the vape world like this. Excited to see the final result and how it works for people.

Abysmal Vapor

And let's not forge the Aromed (< 2009) >> https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/aromed-4-0.408/
and the Herbalizer (~ 2013) >> https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-herbalizer.9116/

...which were AFAIK the two first desktop halogens.
You are forgetting the A.P.E Vape (2007), both halogen and PID controlled ,but the context we are discussing was the implementation in portables.
There are also other halogen desktops like the Vapureyes ,vapolamp and Vaporlight the first and only halogen box vape ,lol..... haha..
And also the very ancient Lo-verde lighthouse which featured porcelain housing :), i am quite sure i am missing a few :)).

Texus

@Texus Hey man :) ! The equasion is not as simple as you imagine. As someone who has built a few halogen vapes , i can say that there are bulbs that fail in way shorter time then expected.

Yes, I don't have that much experience with halogen vapes other than my Halo, which is prob 50% more expensive than this one will be.

I'd sure hope the design does ensure that no oils that can lead to failure can touch the bulb.

And while I am not sure about halogen bulbs specifically, my understanding is that defective parts are most likely to fail quite early in their life. So good odds of a defective bulb being caught in the first year.

Don't get me wrong, user replaceable would be great. But for me it just isn't a deal breaker. Especially for a device around a ~$200 price point, which I love and think will make it an easy vape to recommend to folks who might balk at higher price points.

And I'd rather roll with some small odds of an early halogen failure than the certainty that a non-swappable battery means a Mighty, POTV One, Healthy Rips, Crafty, Bowle etc will have a limited lifetime due to battery limitations that certainly guarantee it'll brick or hold very little charge.

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Yes, I don't have that much experience with halogen vapes other than my Halo, which is prob 50% more expensive than this one will be.

I'd sure hope the design does ensure that no oils that can lead to failure can touch the bulb.

And while I am not sure about halogen bulbs specifically, my understanding is that defective parts are most likely to fail quite early in their life. So good odds of a defective bulb being caught in the first year.

Don't get me wrong, user replaceable would be great. But for me it just isn't a deal breaker. Especially for a device around a ~$200 price point, which I love and think will make it an easy vape to recommend to folks who might balk at higher price points.

And I'd rather roll with some small odds of an early halogen failure than the certainty that a non-swappable battery means a Mighty, POTV One, Healthy Rips, Crafty, Bowle etc will have a limited lifetime due to battery limitations that certainly guarantee it'll brick or hold very little charge.
Just want to point out the mighty batteries actually aren't that hard to replace. Gotta unsolder/resolder a couple wires and unscrew and screw some screws in.

Cheesequake,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
Will halogen bulbs be user replaceable?

Daang that @VGOODIEZ video got me excited.
I actually spoke to Mike about this a little more and I want to make sure that we clarify this for everyone. While the bulb is not user replaceable it is in fact replaceable if there is an issue. It would require you to send your unit to me and we would do the service and replace it. This is the arrangement we are working out and will avoid customers having to ship this thing internationally and deal with taxes and duties on warranty work.

Texus

I actually spoke to Mike about this a little more and I want to make sure that we clarify this for everyone. While the bulb is not user replaceable it is in fact replaceable if there is an issue. It would require you to send your unit to me and we would do the service and replace it. This is the arrangement we are working out and will avoid customers having to ship this thing internationally and deal with taxes and duties on warranty work.
And this is why VGoodiez rules.

Top Bottom