Winterizing Small Batches?

matthend

1. So I have been running small batches in a cut down SSTB. I get 5 to 5.5 grams of high grade nugs in it and get about a gram back after thin film purging the hell out of it. I want to try to winterize, can I do it on this small scale? Would two shot glasses work for this, followed by another extended low heat purge to evap away the everclear? I know I need to get a vacuum, but that is not in the financial plans until i start running larger batches. Any advice and/or criticism is greatly appreciated.
    TIA!

matthend,
Reactions: smokum

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I'm interested in hearing the replies with micro winterizing myself ;)

As far as the starter vac setup.... Get yourself a mason jar, wrap the exterior glass with clear shipping tape (as a precaution), and pick up any cheap brake bleeder hand pump with suction cup attachment, poke a hole in the lid and have at er..... It's how I started out vac purging before moving up, and did an adequate job.

Bouldorado

My advice is not to winterize unless you have low-quality oil. Ethanol strips any and all flavor from the oil; prob not something you want, since you did a nug run.

To answer your question, yes you can do a "micro-winterization" although this will reduce your yield. Take about 1 oz of everclear (room temp) and dissolve the oil into EC. Put into the freezer until cold (30 min at least) and strain with a coffee filter into a pan. Do a low-temp purge until all the EC is evaporated.

Bouldorado,
Reactions: FLskwat

matthend

hmmm, i was under the impression that an everclear winterization retains the flavor? I was wanting to remove the plant waxes and thus reduce the cough factor, but definitely not at the expense of flavor. Is the hand vac route worth it? i could do that in the slick stack after scrape right? I currently scrape into a slick stack, manipulate it into the middle and squash the stack between my fingers while warm to flatten it out. I could drop that in a jar and pump away and compare to my old faithful route
Thanks!

matthend,

Trever

hmmm, i was under the impression that an everclear winterization retains the flavor? I was wanting to remove the plant waxes and thus reduce the cough factor, but definitely not at the expense of flavor. Is the hand vac route worth it? i could do that in the slick stack after scrape right? I currently scrape into a slick stack, manipulate it into the middle and squash the stack between my fingers while warm to flatten it out. I could drop that in a jar and pump away and compare to my old faithful route
Thanks!

Bouldorado is correct in that "some" taste will be removed "terpines" but believe me if you have good tasting oil making it absolute will not remove all flavor. It all depends in your process. If you have already purged the bho oil i wouldnt rec winterizing just for the fact of all the excess heat, that alone will remove more flavor than winterizing IMHO.

Caligula

Maximus
From what I've read, the 190 proof grape alcohol retains the most flavor out of all the alcohol varieties. Just something to think about.

Bouldorado

Thanks!

A vacuum won't have any effect on the plant waxes, though it will help remove butane and allow you to purge at a lower temperature.

Now that Trever brought up the point of purging winterized oil, it's hard (downright impossible actually) to say if the winterized oil I've tried/made lost its flavor during the purge, or to the everclear itself. Regardless, the winterized oil I've dabbed is extremely smooth, but also had zero flower taste.

How are you vaping the oil? If you're dabbing, try letting the nail cool down a bit more before you hit it. I've noticed most of the time I cough from dabbing is when the nail is too hot.

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
From my understanding ethanol isn't the greatest for winterizing bho because it is both polar and non polar. Winterizing does remove some of the flavor but not all of it in my experience.

I have a vacuum chamber but have been experimenting with a new method (to me) of winterizing/purging on the cheap and now wish I hadn't blown the cash on the vac setup. I have been blasting straight into a pyrex lined with isopropyl alcohol and then placing the pyrex in a warm bath. The butane is non polar and the isopropyl alcohol is polar so the 2 solvents resist each other like opposing magnets and because of this, and the fact that the butane/resin is now suspended in the alcohol the butane purges off easily at relatively low temps.

I've only been able to use 91% isopropyl so far which works great but leaves a bit of residual moisture from the distilled water in the iso. I just oredered some 99.5% and will be testing that this weekend.

tepictoton

I have been doing the same as milehighlife mentions but with 94% grain alcohol.

Comes out really clear, no bubbles anymore whatso-ever, even after weeks of being stored...:2c: Wonder if i can add some more alcohol and do the winterizing straigth after...

tepictoton,
Reactions: mlo4sho

2clicker

Observer
something to keep in mind with winterizing is that after you remove the mixture from the freezer, you wanna filter it as soon as possible. otherwise the stuff your trying to remove dissolves quickly and goes right through the filter. i have found that ub coffee filters take too long to filter.

i havent tried yet, but i think syringe filters are a great way to separate the goods from the bads very quickly while still frozen.

MileHighLife

something to keep in mind with winterizing is that after you remove the mixture from the freezer, you wanna filter it as soon as possible. otherwise the stuff your trying to remove dissolves quickly and goes right through the filter. i have found that ub coffee filters take too long to filter.

i havent tried yet, but i think syringe filters are a great way to separate the goods from the bads very quickly while still frozen.
I'm using stainless steel mesh

MileHighLife,

MileHighLife

25 which works well I'm going to order some 50 to see if it drains fast enough. I have some 325 for ss wicks in custom attys and it doesn't drain at all

MileHighLife,
Reactions: 2clicker

Trever

Just filter overnight in the "freezer" that way nothing has the chance of warming up and becoming liquid again

Trever,
Reactions: 2clicker
Top Bottom