Winterizing Question

Balzac

I've been reading tutorials on winterizing BHO - I feel pretty confident in knowing how to do it, except for the evaporation part.

I've been planning to simply let it evaporate without heat - just room temp with a fan. My questions are: Is this a viable way to get rid of the alcohol, without heat? (I plan to use Everclear)

Also, is there a way to avoid scraping it up after evaporation? I plan to use a flat Pyrex dish but I hate scraping. I'm only planning to use about 3g of concentrate.

Thanks!

Balzac,
Reactions: Monsoon

Monsoon

I've been reading tutorials on winterizing BHO - I feel pretty confident in knowing how to do it, except for the evaporation part.

I've been planning to simply let it evaporate without heat - just room temp with a fan. My questions are: Is this a viable way to get rid of the alcohol, without heat? (I plan to use Everclear)

Also, is there a way to avoid scraping it up after evaporation? I plan to use a flat Pyrex dish but I hate scraping. I'm only planning to use about 3g of concentrate.

Thanks!
If you line your pyrex with a SlickSheet you won't need to scrape. When you're ready to collect it together into a patty, just fold it over on itself, maybe apply some heat below and then place on an ice pack for under a minute then rip the top half off. Once it's fully purged it should easily peel off the sheet.

After you've filtered out the waxes, there's 2 separate stages left: evaporation and purging. Evaporation gets the vast majority out, you can do it without heat and a fan blowing over (not on) it, just make sure it's covered to prevent contamination. When it looks like all the alcohol is gone, you still need to do a proper heat/vacuum purge to get the last bit of solvent and moisture out. If you have a vacuum, aim for around 90-100F, without one you'll need to go higher to properly purge it out, say 110-120F. Flip the patty every 12 hours or so or when you stop seeing a reaction from larger bubbles. I usually vac purge for 2-4 days, for me it's ready when the harshness decreases or is eliminated.

De Verdamper

Hans de Verdamper
Manufacturer
when you have enough time to winterize
try to use a round bottom bottle with the alcohol and the bho
and leave it in the fridge for a week
by the gravity the residue is on the bottom
so poor the alcohol out very gentle>
today i had the bottle an funnel in the fridge, that worked very well

De Verdamper,
Top Bottom