Will I be okay if I vape dry herbs in my room?

DCLZ34

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I've been a combuster for a few months and decided to go vape for health purposes. Now since it is cold this time at night (20-30 degrees), would I be able to vape in my room if I put a towel under my door. I'll have the windows open and a fan blowing the air out. Would the odor from the vaporizer linger around for long or does it normally dissipate fast? Would a homemade sploof work well? (toilet paper roll, dryer sheets). For this wondering, I have the Flowermate v5.0s.

Happy Tokin

DCLZ34,

XiolaOne

Firewood 4
Paper tube and drier sheets. Reminds me of college and smoking weed in my dorm

XiolaOne,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Vapourizer don't smell nearly as bad. My recommendations would be blowing the vapour into the fan or ghosting the vapour. Given that you have clean weed there should be no issue with ghosting the hits.

Winegums,

DCLZ34

Vapourizer don't smell nearly as bad. My recommendations would be blowing the vapour into the fan or ghosting the vapour. Given that you have clean weed there should be no issue with ghosting the hits.

I held the vapor as long as possible (10-15 seconds after pulling). I opened both my windows and blew the vapor out the window. Then I put a fan on. You think my room would smell after 5-10 minutes?

DCLZ34,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I held the vapor as long as possible (10-15 seconds after pulling). I opened both my windows and blew the vapor out the window. Then I put a fan on. You think my room would smell after 5-10 minutes?
It honestly depends on your room size and the air flow through it. Otherwise grab a thick jacket and enjoy your vape outdoors.

Winegums,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
You can use an oil defuser or a scented candle to counteract the smell. I don't have a flower mate but have other vaporizers, the smell dissipates rather quickly. A towel under the door should be sufficient unless you have a crack on the edge of your door.

You will become nose blind to the smell so sometimes it's hard to tell. I don't know your situation and won't make assumptions - so good luck and stay safe.:tup::leaf:

CarolKing,

DCLZ34

It honestly depends on your room size and the air flow through it. Otherwise grab a thick jacket and enjoy your vape outdoors.

I mean cold air is entering my room so I doubt the smell of vapor lingers long. And it's a medium sized room.

I doubt it. Your herb would be more the issue. How are you storing your bud? Non airtight storage can stink up a room pretty fast.

It's in a airtight container. I put my nose to it and cant smell anything.

Mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
DCLZ34,
Reactions: Winegums

MinnBobber

There may be very little vape smell remaining but it also depends on your mom's nose---- I can take one tiny vape puff, 2 floors removed from my wife and when I come up get, "did you just vape?"

Even at my vape station I can detect zero bud smell but she has a 10X smell powers :)
No guarantees though, but the odds jump 100X for vaping vs trying to smoke undetected

HomeFree

If you smoke people will instinctively become alert due to the danger of fire programmed into them. They will probably detect where the smoke is coming from. They will quickly smell cannabis on their way and realize it is not a fire. A lot of people say that you can't smell vapor but I have a terrible sense of smell and can smell quickly when someone else is vaping. But it just smells like someone opened up a giant bag of weed rather than someone smoking a joint. You can always blame it on the neighbors. ;) But if you are at your parents and they do not want you to use weed maybe you shouldn't do that. I have my own rules at my own place, for instance anyone who comes in must remove their shoes. My dad doesn't like that one too much but I remind him I can not use pot at his place. :D He does not come to visit very much.

Rebelistic

I think you would likely be fine but it's worth doing a test when the coast is clear, vape more than normal with less ventilation and go out. See if you can notice when you come back or better yet ask a friend with a good nose.
The actual vaporiser is likely to smell quite nice so maybe store that in something sealed too.

ZC

When I was still living at home I vaped in my room, out the window with a towel.

One time my mom came in maybe a half hour after a session and asked why it smelt like weed.

Now when I vape it's about 50/50 if my girlfriend smells it. Buy I can never really detect the smell when she does because I'm so used to it.

I don't think it's as sneaky or as subtle as we act like it is, and if your roommates would cause huge problems finding out I'd be cautious.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Vaping for stealth is easy. Someone mentioned my favorite way to conceal the vape smell above....use a cardboard tube from a paper towel and place some dryer sheets in the middle and then add a few paper towels on each end to lock the dryer sheets in place. Take a hit and blow lightly into the cardboard tube. You can substitute paper towels sprayed with some sort of light fragrance for the dryer sheets. The trick is not to use a fragrance that is abnormal for you or to go too strong. If someone smells your room and says ..."I haven't smelled Old Spice since my great grandfather passed away" you are probably using the wrong fragrance. Of course you could always start using Old Spice......

What can give you away is not the vapor so much as the weed itself and a heavily used, dirty vape. The biggest truth teller for me is when I grind up some weed. It permeates the air when I open the airtight bag/jar and gets even worse when I grind it up and it has serious hang time. I suggest you grind in advance when you have the place to yourself.

I can't count the times I would grind up a week's worth, but didn't vape, only to hear someone say "Wow, sure smells like weed in here"! I completely forget that the weed smells stronger than vaping.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I use mason jars with these lids to prevent odor from escaping. Along with a Boveda packet, they also help extend the life of my herb. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GX1KPW8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not a kid in a dorm room, but still don't want the house smelling like weed.

I also throw one of these charcoal sachets in my storage container where everything is kept.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F6E9HSK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only time there is any smell is when a vape starts getting gunky and needs to be cleaned. Like my Firefly which gets resiny and gunked up quickly.

blackstone

The actual vaporiser is likely to smell quite nice so maybe store that in something sealed too.

What can give you away is not the vapor so much as the weed itself and a heavily used, dirty vape. The biggest truth teller for me is when I grind up some weed. It permeates the air when I open the airtight bag/jar and gets even worse when I grind it up and it has serious hang time. I suggest you grind in advance when you have the place to yourself.

I can't count the times I would grind up a week's worth, but didn't vape, only to hear someone say "Wow, sure smells like weed in here"! I completely forget that the weed smells stronger than vaping.

The only time there is any smell is when a vape starts getting gunky and needs to be cleaned. Like my Firefly which gets resiny and gunked up quickly.

^^^This.
A lot of vapes can become smelly, and can be more so when still warm!
Might help letting it near the cool air of the window with the oven open for a bit after.
Then put the unit in some bag or container.
There's no two ways about it, I too will have to get a decent smellproof bag or two someday. Until then it's either ghetto looking plastic bags containers that work ok, or cheap cases and sleeves that let smell out now and then!

The vapor seems to dissipate quickly if you're making an effort, as discussed.

I sometimes wonder how our mouth and lungs relay these aromas to others in the hour after vaping, like what happens in extremes with combustion.
There's one guy I know that swears by that powerful chewing gum but he still combusts too.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
And this is where the concentrate pen rules.

In my opinion opening a glass jar of cannabis almost always leaves more of a lingering smell than actually vaporizing it.

Agreed. When the time comes where I can have regular access to concentrates, I will most certainly begin to convert over to more oil and less flower.

Top Bottom