What's all this talk about taste?

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
I think there's some good tasting stuff out there, but you've got to find the right grower. Yes, a lot of the breeding has been focused on fast flower times, yield and high thc %. And it's driven by the consumer market that seems to think the higher percentage thc the better the cannabis. Not realizing that you can have a 15% variety that has a better overall cannabinoid and terpene profile thus leaving the user with a better experience.
So much this. Michigan is awash in cannabis ATM (you can find 2oz for $60 if that floats your boat) but much of it smells and tastes like hay (yuuu-um!) and is barely ok function wise.
If you know where to look you can find the pressure, but even great looking material can taste disasterous.

BL4ZE

So much this. Michigan is awash in cannabis ATM (you can find 2oz for $60 if that floats your boat) but much of it smells and tastes like hay (yuuu-um!) and is barely ok function wise.
If you know where to look you can find the pressure, but even great looking material can taste disasterous.

That's a huge part of it... the mass production that's going on. And then even in smaller grows it's still an art to preserve or bring out that flavor in the final product. I had some blueberry headband not long ago that was amazing. It sucks when you go back to some generic tasting cannabis.

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
Lowering the temps to around 180C will definitely help tease out the delicate flavors you're missing. Also, I find that flower that has been stored carefully is more flavorful. I grow my own and keep it in mason jars with 62% Boveda packs. Dried out buds from a ziplock always have less taste to me. Even if you don't grow your own, put those nugs in a glass jar with a Boveda or similar 2-way humidity pack. Good moisture makes the vape smoother too!
How much bud do you pre grind for smoking?
Are you grinding a nug before every sesh or no?
I keep a boveda in all my stuff but I'll grind a 1/8 or 1/4 at a time so I'm not having to keep doing it

I don't notice any loss of flavor or terps since it's kept in sealed jars

tinctorus,
Reactions: Thumos

Veritas629

I keep all my buds in jars, with the Boveda packs, and remove just enough for a couple sessions. I grind only a bit, because I reckon the grinding releases a lot of the flavor and aroma. Any leftover ground up flower goes in my Cannador (aka weed humidor) at the end of the day.

Veritas629,
Reactions: vapeape77

vapeape77

I keep all my buds in jars, with the Boveda packs, and remove just enough for a couple sessions. I grind only a bit, because I reckon the grinding releases a lot of the flavor and aroma. Any leftover ground up flower goes in my Cannador (aka weed humidor) at the end of the day.
I find that vapes that can handle a whole nug or two produce excellent flavor, but for this method the nugs needs to be slightly dry. Otherwise I’m with ya on not over grinding bud and use boveda packs (can also use a small orange peel). Of course there are vapes like the vapman or mflb that require a fine grind for good results. Plus there’s the wide open air crowd that usually prefer finer grinds.

vapeape77,

Veritas629

Grind is a good point. The OP might find different flavors with different grinds. I just got my first ballhead vape yesterday (Old Head Freight Train w/ Fusion) and I'm testing the grind factor. Last night was the standard grind I use for all my vapes, tonight I'll try whole and semi-whole buds, and soon a very fine grind when my Flowermill arrives. Will any of them make a difference, who cares, it's fun to play!

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
I have added terps into herb that was lacking. I’ve also mixed my on distillates and coated my own flower solventless. Right now I have some lemon cookie CDT that is delicious. Smells and taste just like lemon bars with lemon zest. I have a few CDT I really like right now. Have to be careful with adding in terps it’s real easy to overdo it.

vapeape77

I have added terps into herb that was lacking. I’ve also mixed my on distillates and coated my own flower solventless. Right now I have some lemon cookie CDT that is delicious. Smells and taste just like lemon bars with lemon zest. I have a few CDT I really like right now. Have to be careful with adding in terps it’s real easy to overdo it.
Oh wow would probably be over the top but I love this lemon cookies from wnc. I think I’ve already used 1.5oz of it since July

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
Oh wow would probably be over the top but I love this lemon cookies from wnc. I think I’ve already used 1.5oz of it since July
Thats the stuff. I have the CDT of that strain and it’s really flavorful has to be my favorite I’ve had so far, and I usually prefer gas/skunk types.

vapeape77

Thats the stuff. I have the CDT of that strain and it’s really flavorful has to be my favorite I’ve had so far, and I usually prefer gas/skunk types.
Yeah thanks for the reminder, I should go snatch up a couple more ozs of their smalls in case they are gone come Black Friday

vapeape77,

GoldenBud

it contains the terpene alpha-Bisabololol (higher concentration than the other terps) which is according to wikipedia : "It is the terpenoid responsible for distinctive aroma of chamomile flowers"

so it will send to sleep easily? sort of like a chamomile?!

GoldenBud,

vapeape77

it contains the terpene alpha-Bisabololol (higher concentration than the other terps) which is according to wikipedia : "It is the terpenoid responsible for distinctive aroma of chamomile flowers"

so it will send to sleep easily? sort of like a chamomile?!
Nah I don’t think so I mix it with local shop lemon haze, very uplifting…. but I’m also the type that can handle an indica in the morning afternoon evening…

GoldenBud

Yeah local shop mj thc, I’m picky about my lemon haze, if it’s off just a bit I move on to a different grower
it has a fucking taste signature, like GSC in America, the super lemon haze from amsterdam has its signature by everything. taste, smell, clean upper effects. I miss amsterdam and greenouse's lemon haze. super unique!

GoldenBud,
Reactions: vapeape77

RedZep

I thought the same until I ripped the TM2 on setting 3. I was literally smacking my lips. Flavour was powerful and complex.

Opened me up to the possibilities. There are some flavour chasers on this forum, and I get it now.

I think it makes sense for getting a good high as well. If the terps are maintained and extracted well, it will benefit the high due to the terp effects which seem very beneficial.

Top Bottom