Weed messing with anesthesia??

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
A friend unfortunately has to have a surgery and mentioned they would have to stop with their edibles a month in advance so they could clear out their system because they were told it would mess with the anesthesia... Anyone else know anything about this?? Just curious since it was the first time I had heard of it before

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
I’ve had oral surgery multiple times with no impact to anesthesia. Can’t say for sure about a general….

though they should definately tell the Dr and the anesthesiologist

Madtater

I will ask one of my anesthesia buddies at work tuesday and get back to you. She will tell me the truth.

Now, i have seen people told not to partake 1 week prior, but not 30 days. My uncle was supposed to have surgery a month ago on his neck (but got rescheduled), and he was told to hold a week prior.

Cannabis raises heart rate and lowers blood pressure. That would be the ONLY reason why it should be held a few days prior IF any…and even then an anesthesiologist can adjust sedation meds to manipulate BP and HR, so 30 days prior may be bullshit.

I will ask and post back here.

Shit Snacks

Now, i have seen people told not to partake 1 week prior, but not 30 days.

Her metabolism is pretty unique, it stays in her system for a very long time, especially the edibles she uses, so that is a factor in the amount of time without as well btw

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: cosimo

Madtater

Her metabolism is pretty unique, it stays in her system for a very long time, especially the edibles she uses, so that is a factor in the amount of time without as well btw
The proteins stay in the system, but the active effects, i believe, do not.

I have a couple resources at work to check with. I will see if i can find out for sure.

Madtater,

Canna Chameleon

Knewt

I have read this before, but I find it a lot like turning off your cell phone while on an airplane. So I have ignored the advice and have had 3 surgeries (2 hernia repairs and colonoscopy) while high. I am also a red head, so I supposedly respond to anesthesia different than inferior people. I also had a large melanoma carved out of my arm last year and had a 20 mg edible before and it was actually a funny experience.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I have had endoscopy and appendectomy in recent years, took no steps to reduce cannabis before or after.
On day of that first procedure, I told the nurse who checked me in with a hundred questions they ask, that I used cannabis daily, she didn't delay the procedure.
Second one was emergency surgery, but no issues.
I also had a hand surgery lasy fall, only local anesthesia, but there again, they didn't make much out of it when I told them.
During the hand surgery, my bp was elevating and the nurse asked me to try to calm down. I meditated on my breathing and that worked.

My experiences are just my own anecdotes of course.

GoldenBud

A friend unfortunately has to have a surgery and mentioned they would have to stop with their edibles a month in advance so they could clear out their system because they were told it would mess with the anesthesia... Anyone else know anything about this?? Just curious since it was the first time I had heard of it before
if your friend is taking edibles often, if he stops it, he is going to suffer so much man.. so much.. the brain will beg him to take THC otherwise his concentration of Dopamine in the synpases will be much lower than usual.... your research on google scholar should be how Dopamine affects anesthesia ... when i stopped i couldn't get proper sleeping for days.... if edibles is how he gets the Dopamine i doubt he needs to stop it... maybe on the same day of the surgery he shouldn't take an edible... but if he stops now he'll suffer a lot... he should mention it to his doctor

If he's used to be on edibles, I don't see a reason to quit it. I don't think anesthesia work on the Dopamine systems. THC is nothing but Dopamine blocker. (it blocks the Dopamine inside the synapses so you feel high)
anesthesia works on other paths

edit: yeah , there isn't a connection - https://hms.harvard.edu/news-events...scillation patterns,”—that differs from sleep.

Bazinga

Don’t have an informed medical answer. Two months ago I had my second heart surgery (aortic valve replacement). Didn’t partake the night prior to surgery. There was no mention from the Doctors about stopping cannabis.

Shit Snacks

Yeah her situation is unique and this type of surgery, she had been relying on them lately, but a low dose lasts very long, it's complicated so she doesn't really want to risk any further complications or risk of pain relief anesthesia not working or wearing off too soon... Thanks for all the various opinions! It is an interesting topic

Principal Guy

I have had endoscopy and appendectomy in recent years, took no steps to reduce cannabis before or after.
On day of that first procedure, I told the nurse who checked me in with a hundred questions they ask, that I used cannabis daily, she didn't delay the procedure.
Second one was emergency surgery, but no issues.
I also had a hand surgery lasy fall, only local anesthesia, but there again, they didn't make much out of it when I told them.
During the hand surgery, my bp was elevating and the nurse asked me to try to calm down. I meditated on my breathing and that worked.

My experiences are just my own anecdotes of course.
Daily user here. I go in every year for colonoscopy and endoscopy. Never thought of mentioning it to Dr. Also never had any issues with anesthesia. Knocked out within seconds! LOTS of old-school beliefs modern doctors hold, unfortunately.

Canna Chameleon

My best friend just had an emergency stent placed in his urethra for kidney stones. The only reason he wasn’t high, the morphine and dilauded they gave him were enough.

Canna Chameleon,

Modicum

I've recently had 2 shoulder replacements in 6 months @ HSS . A physical was given to me at which I was asked did I drink or use cannabis and I said yes to both . About 3-4 drinks a week with dinner & cannabis, 4~5 times per wk. He told me the only knock he had on weed was that it causes veins to contract and because of restricted blood flow the healing process and post-op pain MAY be extended to a small degree , luckily I had neither .

Shit Snacks

the only knock he had on weed was that it causes veins to contract and because of restricted blood flow the healing process

Damn that could be a factor in my tendonitis problems! Otherwise I heal up pretty quick...

Shit Snacks,

AssistedLiving

Google Bard says

A study published in the journal Anesthesiology in 2017 found that patients who used cannabis within 30 days of surgery were more likely to experience adverse effects from anesthesia, such as nausea, vomiting, and delirium. The study also found that these patients were more likely to require a higher dose of anesthesia to achieve the same level of sedation.

Another study, published in the journal JAMA Surgery in 2019, found that patients who used cannabis within 90 days of surgery were more likely to experience complications from surgery, such as bleeding, infection, and respiratory problems. The study also found that these patients were more likely to be readmitted to the hospital after surgery.

These studies suggest that cannabis use can increase the risk of adverse effects from general anesthesia surgery. If you are planning surgery, it is important to tell your doctor if you use cannabis. Your doctor can help you determine if it is safe for you to continue using cannabis before and after surgery.

I've had a couple foot/bone surgeries over the past few years. Had some doctors/anaesthetists ask to hold off for 1 week and others say only 2 days. Most of the time it seemed the main reason they were asking about cannabis was in relation to the pain medication stating I might need slightly higher dosage based upon my usage. Of course could be completely different based upon your friends condition/surgery they are having just my experience 👍

sdrsh

Had a couple surgeries with full anesthesia and always mentioned my cannabis consumption to the anesthesiologist beforehand. The first guy I asked directly, if it would play a factor in dosage or viability of certain medications used. He said no. Smoking does affect health in general obviously, but as I am still of the younger brigade, it wasn't much of a factor to him. Didn't discuss the smoking vs vaping aspect as I was content knowing that cannabis itself is not a worry to them. Same with the next two procedures, didn't get asked any questions and wasn't advised to stop. Any surgery protocol guidance will mention not to smoke the day of the procedure, though.

For myself, I can't report any issues. I took my last hit the night before and went back to it as soon as I got out of the hospital again, same day or 2-3 days later.
Funny enough, the first surgery was actually what led me to discover dry herb vapes.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
General anesthesia is dangerous so the doctors don't wanna take any risks.

If it's just local anesthesia 30 days sounds a bit much.

He told me the only knock he had on weed was that it causes veins to contract

Did you check that info? Not sure I have heard this before.

Haze Mister,

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
the only knock he had on weed was that it causes veins to contract and because of restricted blood flow the healing process and post-op pain MAY be extended to a small degree
I wonder if this is from smoking? I have heard similar about tobacco causing longer healing/recovery times with surgery.

If its mild sedation for e.g. a colonoscopy I usually take a few days off. For general anesthesia a little more just because yeah, it can be dangerous. But I am not a doctor and would probably just follow their advice to err on the side of caution personally. YOLO and all :)

gordontreeman,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I know that I've read articles that have said that it is important to discuss cannabis use with your anesthesiologist if you are going under for surgery. The stuff I read claimed that cannabis users could require enough of a significantly higher dose that neglecting to disclose cannabis use could, in worst-case-scenario, cause you to get a low enough dose that you could wake up during surgery.

I have no idea how accurate the articles I read were, or the validity of the studies they were referring to...as I never looked into it enough further to have any idea if the claims showed any validity or not.

Is anyone else aware of any studies that support this conclusion?

I don't think anesthesia work on the Dopamine systems. THC is nothing but Dopamine blocker. (it blocks the Dopamine inside the synapses so you feel high)

The truth is THC stimulates Dopamine production: “THC stimulates neurons in the reward system to release the signaling chemical dopamine at levels higher than typically observed in response to natural rewarding stimuli.”https://nida.nih.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/how-does-marijuana-produce-its-effects

archangelz001,

GoldenBud

yeah THC blocks the Dopamine inside the Synapses, it doesn't produce Dopamine, it makes sure the Dopamine stays in the Synapses and that's why you feel effects. if the Dopamine would return to the cells, you won't feel high.

The reason THC makes you feel much higher than Anandamide it's because Anandamide fades much quickly than THC, which means it leaves the Dopamine in less concentration in the Synapses other than THC. THC is much stronger than Anandamide.

my bad then, THC doesn't *produce* Dopamine, it makes sure the Dopamine concentration will be higher in the Synapses. So it's not a producer, but it makes sure the concentration is higher in the Synapses.

Anesthesia has nothing to do with Dopamine..it affects the CNS

about THC and Dopamine see here:
Whats-App-Image-2023-05-26-at-8-44-06-PM.jpg

as you can see, the THC is not a "manufacturer", it's just an inhibitor/blocker lol

Last edited:
GoldenBud,
Top Bottom