Wax Pen Vs. Mods - Differences?

darbarikanada

I've never used a mod-based device, but have a linx hypnos pen. I'm not looking for the giant rips I see people getting from mods in online videos, so what (if anything) would I gain by getting a mod? I'd only be using it ~1x/week, so I don't care about the battery life and cleaning issues people who use more frequently seem to have.

this might just be VAS...

vapviking

Old & In the Way
fwiw, I have a HVT Sai (Ti bucket) on a mod and I tend to use the Terp Pen (and the xl of that) more.
I am not a power-dabber, actually I'm only familiar with these two methods for 'trates, and my own use, but this is how it has wound up; the Sai does not get much use. I'm sure there are some vapes that do better in almost all ways than the terp pen, I just haven't put money in that direction to find one. This morning I was just checking out the Dr. Dabber Boost Evo, but they are pricey, and the Terp Pen fits in my pocket so easily...

florduh

A bucket style atomizer like the Sai or Divine Tribe offerings will let you get a much cleaner flavor than a bare coil option. You can get the whole bucket completely clean with a q-tip.

MyCollie

I own the HVT Sai and Sequoia. I thought these had been stolen but I ordered a couple of each and thankfully I'm somewhat back in business. However, multiple coils were taken. I also owned the Lynx Hypnos Zero and I didn't like it. The vapor was weak. The Sai/Sequoia are in a totally different league. The vapor production is huge. I also own a Boost Evo and it's a beast with the right glass. If you search around on YouTube you'll find a video where a guy explains the problems with the glass and connector. I have the TDE Perc and the hits I'm getting are huge. The right glass was a total game changer with this thing. I also bought the hemisphere (sort of a half globe/dome, as you would expect) but I haven't tried it yet.

I have a tarp pen on the way.

So, I'd recommend the Sai/New Sequoia over the Lynx Hypnos. Zero. The Boost Evo is much larger and while it's portable it's not discreet at all, If you want an atomizer style vape it's a great choice.

Last edited:
MyCollie,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
What is your opinion of concentrate pads that are placed in the oven of a portable vaporizer such as the POTV "One"?
That's what I've been using and I think it works great.
The reason I'm not going to invest in any further hardware for concentrates is because concentrates are expensive and seem to go very quickly.
But it is most enjoyable, no question.

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
I originally looked at mod based solutions for two reasons. First was the ability to use concentrates that were NOT cartridges and second to get longer battery life. Being technically inclined, I also found them to be fun to play with because of the myriad options available including temp control and PID based regulation (Arctic Fox firmware). I've been a Divine Tribe fan since the v3 came out and still recommend Matt's gear, but use is relegated to times of leaving the house for local trips. I'm not a huge fan of battery powered devices in general - so at home the banger/torch or enail is the go-to.

florduh

I'm just gonna throw it out there since carts came up. Depending on your market, I don't believe carts are as dangerous as people think. In Cali, there's standards for heavy metals and other chemicals. In a way, they may be some of the safest hardware out there. I'm not sure most companies that sell load as you go vaporizers are continually testing every batch for heavy metal contamination.

Cali is a huge market, so that puts pressure on cartridge manufacturers. If you make a cart that can't be sold in the largest cannabis market on earth, you don't really have a business. If you're not in Cali, @invertedisdead posted about a way to make hash rosin work in carts with no additives.

From a pocket space and ease of use perspective, there's not really a better portable concentrate option than a high quality full spec concentrate in a cartridge.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Not all cartridges are created equal, even in California, it's still easy to find shit lol

I can't use coil pen type shit anymore either, Sai Plus Sequoia quartz bucket on a mod with bottomless banger is cool, but has not been so fun for me... DabLamp is simpler, but I don't know cold start, meh for me?

I still think hot start dab torching a banger is best, simple and effective, super efficient, my dab supply lasts forever now haha

darbarikanada

What is your opinion of concentrate pads that are placed in the oven of a portable vaporizer such as the POTV "One"?
funny you should ask... I use my mighty with its 'liquid pad' for concentrates 99% of the time (I use a banger or wax pen very occasionally). I think it works great - and fits my needs perfectly:

- no lung-busting rips
- lots of flavor at low temps
- since it takes ~15 hits to finish .04g, I get high gradually, don't get higher than I want

it's definitely the wrong tool for people wanting huge rips; I can get big hits at the high temperatures, but nothing like this (!): https://streamable.com/3smxqf

some people say it's inefficient, but I don't find that to be the case; I live in a legal state, and wax can be had for $10/g., which means that I get 25 .04g doses for that.

Shit Snacks

$10 a gram does not sound like high quality wax to me... Yeah I don't know I also never had great flavor regardless, herbs for life!

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: vapviking

Shit Snacks

Okay, now I'm getting jealous!
Back east wax is $50+10tx=$60/gram.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, it's like that on the west, $60 a gram for live resin is typical, you can also get $40 on sale buying multiple of certain brands... I never look at the shatter but that could be $20 a gram sometimes?

Zipford

I have the Hypnos and if you're not looking for bigger clouds, I'm not sure why you'd change. I use mine on yellow, get great flavor and effects with a small amount of vapor. I find that pre-heating it for 10 seconds before releasing the button and then pressing it again gives better hits. I also once must have loaded the exact right amount to just cover the heated circle and trench, and that gave a big hit.

I have a question though: how do people clean the atomizer, and specifically the trench that accumulates thick sticky reclaim? The walls can be easily wiped with ISO and a q-tip, but the bottom of the atomizer is hard to clean given how fragile it is.

Specifically, has anyone just soaked the whole atomizer in ISO? Linx used to say this was fine, and now says not to submerge the atomizer. But they also say to put it upside down in 1 cm of ISO, which never even touches the bottom of the atomizer (like a cup upside down in water does not fill up). I was soaking the atomizer repeatedly in 7-8 drops of ISO and gently scarping a toothpick in the trench, but that eventually broke the atomizer.

Zipford,

darbarikanada

$10 a gram does not sound like high quality wax to me... Yeah I don't know I also never had great flavor regardless,
the higher-priced stuff tends to have slightly higher THC, but not by much. as far as flavor goes, I haven't found the more expensive stuff to taste noticeably better. I avoid the dirt-cheap (e.g. $7/g) stuff that's pretty dark, but otherwise have been very impressed by the $10 stuff. I think there's so much shake (leaf) left over from all the flower production that there's a glut, making it feasible for concentrate producers to release surplus production on 'second label' (even 'third label') brands at bargain-basement prices.
Okay, now I'm getting jealous!
Back east wax is $50+10tx=$60/gram.
it's crazy: flower usually costs more per g - and I only get ~7 doses from that much... go figure.

darbarikanada

I have a question though: how do people clean the atomizer, and specifically the trench that accumulates thick sticky reclaim? The walls can be easily wiped with ISO and a q-tip, but the bottom of the atomizer is hard to clean given how fragile it is.
have you seen this already?

darbarikanada,

Zipford

have you seen this already?

Yes I have, and I have scoured the web for answers and gone back and forth with Linx on this too. I can get it clean, but it takes a long time putting a few drops in the atomizer, swabbing it out and repeating, while gently rubbing a toothpick around the trench. And impatience led me to use too much force and break my last one. Turning it upside down and doing a high power burn off helps, but the Linx rep said he would not do that more than 1-2 times in a row, which isn't enough.

Ideally I'd just throw the entire atomizer in ISO overnight and it would be clean the next day. I've seen some people say they do that with no bad effects, but Linx says not to. But now that I've bought a few atomizers, I may just try that with one and see how it works.

Zipford,

darbarikanada

I have the Hypnos and if you're not looking for bigger clouds, I'm not sure why you'd change.
from everything I've heard, you nailed it (I think I just like the hi-tech-y look of devices like the divine tribe).

darbarikanada,
Top Bottom