Volcano Hybrid

SquirrelMaster

I've had mine for roughly 5 weeks and my housing has tiny char marks where it makes contact with the metal bowl. Bowl started falling out as well and one of the clips looks broken. I've contacted Storz and Bickel and I'll see what they say. I have left the chamber on for short periods of time but nothing crazy. It's been used roughly twice a day since it arrived.

I placed an order for bags and whips among other things from S&B as well as some elbow adapters in 14mm and 18mm

Nolan Kinshella

I've had mine for roughly 5 weeks and my housing has tiny char marks where it makes contact with the metal bowl. Bowl started falling out as well and one of the clips looks broken. I've contacted Storz and Bickel and I'll see what they say. I have left the chamber on for short periods of time but nothing crazy. It's been used roughly twice a day since it arrived.

I placed an order for bags and whips among other things from S&B as well as some elbow adapters in 14mm and 18mm

I ended up ordering 2 of the plastic housings at the Black Friday price, seems like it may need a more robust design.

silverharbinger

Maybe its oil or debris getting caught in there and with heat causing those marks, are you guys screwing that thing down, maybe secure connection with bowl and heater helps carry and dissipate heat away.

I can't speak for anyone else, but neither of these things are a problem in my case because I don't use concentrates with it, I brush out the screens and chamber after every use, and regularly clean everything with alcohol. Besides the burned indentions on the original housings they are still working perfectly with no clip tension issues whatsoever.

And I pretty much use the hybrid exclusively at 380° F with the whip attachment. If the chamber is not secured to the hybrid right in whip mode you'll know quickly. :lol:

What I'm wondering is if the chamber reducer could be a factor in this. Because it uses more metal than the regular chamber it may get hotter, and would retain heat longer. I also use the hybrid on some days repeatedly with the reducer, and that might be when the burning is happening.

For now, I'm just going to keep taking the chambers out of their housings right after the session is over, and periodically checking for any signs of damage. Thanks for the suggestions!

david8613

I can't speak for anyone else, but neither of these things are a problem in my case because I don't use concentrates with it, I brush out the screens and chamber after every use, and regularly clean everything with alcohol. Besides the burned indentions on the original housings they are still working perfectly with no clip tension issues whatsoever.

And I pretty much use the hybrid exclusively at 380° F with the whip attachment. If the chamber is not secured to the hybrid right in whip mode you'll know quickly. :lol:

What I'm wondering is if the chamber reducer could be a factor in this. Because it uses more metal than the regular chamber it may get hotter, and would retain heat longer. I also use the hybrid on some days repeatedly with the reducer, and that might be when the burning is happening.

For now, I'm just going to keep taking the chambers out of their housings right after the session is over, and periodically checking for any signs of damage. Thanks for the suggestions!

oh man this is a possibility, I hope its not the case, I love using chamber reducers with capsules with my S&B devices. I used them all the time with volcano classic, plenty and my mighty.

WakeVape&Bake

seriously, S&B should look into this and if necessary do a redesign and exchange those chambers, there seems to be something up with either the reducer or the plastic in general...there is no excuse for such a pricey device, it has to run 100% without faults. maybe there are faulty chambers out there where the plastic is not up to snuff or something else is causing these problems..

i use the reducer exclusively but i don´t go over 205 degree celsius, i have no burn marks at all.
but what i do since day one is after vaping, i always take off the whole chamber and i unscrew the black part off the orange part so that the chamber can breathe, maybe that saved me from damage.

Last edited:

david8613

so everyone who sees these burn marks are from using the reducer or are people seeing this with normal sized chambers also? I remember once boundless vapes had a problem with plastics awhile back that wasn't the right formulation and they had to get it corrected, its possible that a batch of plastic might have not been good and not up to spec. if that's the case I think it would be easy by serial numbers which batch was affected and S&B can replace those chambers.

I agree, this thing is very expensive and its supposed to be the very best desk top vaporizer on the market. I don't think any of us want to be inhaling any plastics. worried...

WakeVape&Bake

so everyone who sees these burn marks are from using the reducer or are people seeing this with normal sized chambers also? I remember once boundless vapes had a problem with plastics awhile back that wasn't the right formulation and they had to get it corrected, its possible that a batch of plastic might have not been good and not up to spec. if that's the case I think it would be easy by serial numbers which batch was affected and S&B can replace those chambers.

i seriously think that is the case, maybe something gone wrong in production. i use the reducer since i got the Hybrid and i have no burn marks at all.

what i thought was strange, in the vapecritic review video he talked about how he can squeeze the orange ring of the chamber and showed it. i can´t squeeze my orange ring at all, it is very stiff...

edit: now when i think about it, i had burn in on the screen inside the black part of the chamber, i think it was caused through kief, i vaped a few kief capsules and after that the screen was ruined.

did the people who have those burn ins vaped kief with the Hybrid? could be that the kief begins to burn inside the chamber...

other possible source of the problem: did the people who have burn in use the whip often? maybe the thing gets too hot when using the whip, i mean that is the new function of the Hybrid and it could be that through the whip there is much more heat soaked through the chamber than filling a balloon with the pump...

i would really like to know what exactly causes those burn marks if i am honest

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
this thing is very expensive and its supposed to be the very best desk top vaporizer on the market. I don't think any of us want to be inhaling any plastics. worried...

Definitely seems like an oversight on the engineering teams behalf, you always want to choose building materials capable of sustaining usage beyond maximum operating temperature as a fail-safe. The thermal limits of this polymer and the max operating temp of the Hybrid seem a lot closer than they should be. The housing should have a threshold well beyond the projected air temperature for proper reliability engineering. The engineering term "safety factor" expresses how much stronger a system is than it needs to be for an intended load.

silverharbinger

I don't think any of us want to be inhaling any plastics. worried...

You should be worried about it. Plastic gases are toxic, and I'm taking this very seriously.

did the people who have those burn ins vaped kief with the Hybrid? could be that the kief begins to burn inside the chamber...

other possible source of the problem: did the people who have burn in use the whip often? maybe the thing gets too hot when using the whip, i mean that is the new function of the Hybrid and it could be that through the whip there is much more heat soaked through the chamber than filling a balloon with the pump...

I've had tasty kief sessions with it for sure, but it doesn't appear to have done any damage to it that I can tell. I'll try to be more careful, but f**k me, the use of kief in a vaporizer of this kind should be an expected (and tested) use scenario, right?

And while I'm thinking about it, if you are popping the chambers out of the plastic housings directly after using the hybrid just use the butt end of the brush to tap them out. Don't use your fingers as they are going to be hot. Also, I drop them onto a sheet of metal because they could damage many other surfaces and paints, etc.. Just FYI, and so far I am seeing no burn damage on the new chamber housings. This workaround is looking more promising than I thought it would be. :D

Last edited:
silverharbinger,
Reactions: Vaporooni

blackstone

Guys does anyone remember an instance where something was made from perfectly suitable heat resistant plastics, and just certain batches of the product did not offer the same resistant capabilities, maybe due to the wrong mix or curing procedure being used?
Because it rings a bell with me and something like that might explain what is being seen here, and would be a favorable outcome!

Anyway I'm just here because I had the app connection issue with serial number requiring an "o" where I was repeatedly trying a zero.
This was on Crafty+ but thought I read about it here and that helped me!
Just saying it's a thing, that might catch new Hybrid users in future too.
Watch out for it!

Nolan Kinshella

I have been on a new housing now for as long as I was on my initial one, so far the clips on this one are holding strong. I did change a few things in regards to how I use the chamber/housing between them. Before I would leave things together between hits, though removing the chamber from the Volcano, I would also lightly tap it into my ABV container to empty. Now the chamber is removed anytime I am going to be more than 45 seconds or so between the hits, and I found that when you undo the 2 halves of the chamber there is a natural hard stop, if you slightly lift, you can "park" the upper half so that there is a space between the metal parts, this allows a bit of cooling for the chamber, and the herb. Also I use a wooden poker to gently coax the material out of the chamber, it usually just tumbles out. So far this housing is still tight, with no marks at all.

Poostuff

Please delete
Hey everyone,
I've got a question about the hybrid, I have one for about a week now and I'm a seasoned smoker for like 13 years.

Yet every time I use the volcano at say 170c - 195c I cough my brains out.
cant even go higher than that because that's not even enjoyable. any advice on how to not seem like im dying everytime i use the volcano?

I tried packing it light or tight and whether using the whip or the bags, I still cough like a madman.

edit: i do have a mighty aswell which doesn't seem to be that harsh so I'm kinda used to using a vaporizer but the volcano is something else entirely

much appreciated

Occasionally I find the first couple of draws to be harsh which ruins my session.
You could try turning the fan on for a few seconds with the packed chamber connected before you attach a bag or whip. That’s what I do when this happens & it seems to help.
Best of luck.

david8613

My volcano hybrid is home finally!!!! I want give some details about her, my volcano hybrid did not need any firmware updates like I have read from others here, she had the latest firmware on board from the factory. I also noticed the plastic from my chamber is not flexible at all like the one vapecritic had on his YT video. the plastic is very stiff and not bendable. my volcano hybrid connected to my phone very quickly and easily no problems there either. although I wish the Bluetooth range was farther, I cannot control from living to bedroom where my volcano hybrid is. I also noticed the air pump is not as loud as my volcano classic it is definitely more quiet which I like very much. I did the normal burn off as recommended, no weird smells or anything that I noticed. later on I ran a bag at 380f, man that vapor is thicker and more dense for sure, but it was a little peppery in the throat, I thought it would be more fluffy, smoother. is that the dryness In the vapor some talk about? what temps are you guys running? I didn't put a lot of product in my unit, by the second bag everything was basically spent very pop corny. on my volcano classic I was able to get a third bag out of the same amount of product. it seems the volcano hybrid extracts all the goodies out much faster than the classic. vapecritic said there is not much difference in vapor quality between the classic and hybrid, I am not an expert but I can tell the difference easily , I have to experiment more to find my sweet spot, I had with my classic. you can tell the hybrid seems more brutal at extracting, than the classic, where my classic was more smoother I think. I have not tried the whip yet but will very soon. I am interested to try the iterations for the super bag! any tips to avoid the dryness I felt besides using a water piece? it would have been cool if S&B had a way on the app to shut off the conduction part of it to use only convection, to really see the difference, it would have been a cool option.
[url=https://postimg.cc/G8zsk8Qd] [/URL]

Last edited:

Vape_Or_Die420

My volcano hybrid is home finally!!!! I want give some details about her, my volcano hybrid did not need any firmware updates like I have read from others here, she had the latest firmware on board from the factory. I also noticed the plastic from my chamber is not flexible at all like the one vapecritic had on his YT video. the plastic is very stiff and not bendable. my volcano hybrid connected to my phone very quickly and easily no problems there either. although I wish the Bluetooth range was farther, I cannot control from living to bedroom where my volcano hybrid is. I also noticed the air pump is not as loud as my volcano classic it is definitely more quiet which I like very much. I did the normal burn off as recommended, no weird smells or anything that I noticed. later on I ran a bag at 380f, man that vapor is thicker and more dense for sure, but it was a little peppery in the throat, I thought it would be more fluffy, smoother. is that the dryness In the vapor some talk about? what temps are you guys running? I didn't put a lot of product in my unit, by the second bag everything was basically spent very pop corny. on my volcano classic I was able to get a third bag out of the same amount of product. it seems the volcano hybrid extracts all the goodies out much faster than the classic. vapecritic said there is not much difference in vapor quality between the classic and hybrid, I am not an expert but I can tell the difference easily , I have to experiment more to find my sweet spot, I had with my classic. you can tell the hybrid seems more brutal at extracting, than the classic, where my classic was more smoother I think. I have not tried the whip yet but will very soon. I am interested to try the iterations for the super bag! any tips to avoid the dryness I felt besides using a water piece? it would have been cool if S&B had a way on the app to shut off the conduction part of it to use only convection, to really see the difference, it would have been a cool option.
[url=https://postimg.cc/G8zsk8Qd] [/URL]
Glad she finally arrived. Plenty is out for delivery now!

Pabs

After 3 months with my Volcano HYBRID, I can say : dawn !!! I was impressed how great you have described the difference between classic and Hybrid:tup:. I have both and I agree with you !
Flavor (and smooth) is still better with Classic. I try to use classic Easy chamber on HYBRID to stop conduction, but it doesn't fit. Very sad that there is no way to shut off the conduction with the app:doh:.
Now... Day by day I only use HYBRID. Is this a paradox?
No, I just prefer the Hybrid by the fact that you can vaporize immediately, no waiting like with classic, so long:myday:
So I am learning how to use it. Vapor by conduction mix with convection...is another science.
After 3 months here is my best experience to have better taste and quality vapor :
With Volcano Hybrid I fill 1 big full bag and enjoying in 3 session (3 different temperatures) :
  1. 350°F : 1-2 sec AIR without the bag and 5 AIR sec with bag
  2. Immediately, I put off the chamber (to avoid "popcorn" taste caused by too much conduction)
  3. Enjoy the Vapor, excellent taste
  4. 360°F : when I am ready I put on the chamber - wait 5-10 sec - AIR 7-9 sec with bag
  5. Immediately, I put off the chamber (to avoid "popcorn" taste caused by too much conduction)
  6. Enjoy the Vapor, It tastes incredible and thicker
  7. 380°F : when I am ready I put on the chamber - wait 5-10 sec - AIR 15-20 sec with bag
  8. Immediately, I put off the chamber
  9. Enjoy the Vapor, it still tastes incredible and very thick, but dry...
  10. Drink glass of water immediately:lol:
  11. I stop here
Cheers:wave:

Top Bottom