• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

VAS: Vape Aquisition Syndrome The malady we love to hate

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
VAS, or Vape Acquisition Syndrome is a malady that many of us suffer from, that leads us to accumulate large numbers of vapes for our own use and that of our guests and family members. Along with its sister maladies, GAS (Glass acquisition Syndrome), TAS (Torch Acquisition Syndrome), GRASS (Grinder Acquisition Syndrome, and MAS (Mod Acquisition Syndrome), VAS has a tendency to drain our bank accounts, start family fights, cause us to redecorate our living rooms (in legal states) or dedicate a "Special Closet" in non legal states and hover around special holidays either dedicated to cannabis (420) or just to purchasing (Black Friday) so that we can be sure we didn't miss something "important" .

Before I started vapng I was a combuster for many years (decades). I had what I considered to be a significant amount of accoutrements, but it was purely a means to an end. I had a couple glass pieces, rolling papers, maybe even a rolling plate, a couple dugouts and a few pipes made from lamp parts. I had occasionally (ok, reasonably often) created an instrument of consumption from a piece of fruit or a potato and some aluminum foil or window screen if I didn't have some papers. But this was all to enable the consumption of cannabis, it was not an end in itself.

When I started vaping, everything changed. It began, of course, as an effort to find the "best vape". That means a lot of different things to different people, and probably even to oneself as time goes on and new things come out and our needs change for a variety of reasons. Vaping is not like rolling a joint and lighting a match, it is a much more complicated and dare I say sophisticated process of pulling the goodness out of our herb without burning it and creating particulate filled smoke and resulting in ash. To combust is to fail, but pulling all of the goodness you can, short of combustion, is the sport or the game at hand. That is our goal, one that can be reached in myriad ways and through various methods. And THAT variety and ingenuity and even scientific inquiry is what makes this into a hobby as much as it is a method of consumption. And that is what leads to constantly looking for new and "better" methods of separating the goodness from the plant and getting it to our brains. And almost invariably, to collecting just like people collect cars or baseball cards or wives... okay maybe not like wives, but you get what I mean. Rather than just a means to the end of getting high or quenching pain, it becomes much more than that. For some of us, maybe even a compulsion.

Anyway, this is a thread to talk about your VAS and other related acquisition syndromes and maybe how you manage them or fail to do so. You can describe how yours developed, what it has led to, how you keep it at bay or can't and whether your partner suffers with you or makes you suffer. Enjoy.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
It's kind of developed into, something to look forward to to arrive in the mail, then it arrives and the excitement is gone lol Starting to feel like I'm mostly wasting time on frivolous decisions too, but getting dopamine when the decision is made, then on to the next one!

But yeah it started innocently enough, need to try more to find the best one for me, then you discover there are many "best" and the collection becomes justifiable for variety, then it becomes stocking up on spares, then it becomes admitting its excessive yet unstoppable...

Last edited:

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
VAS hit me pretty hard and quick... much more so then from my combustion days. All I ever owned my entire time of combustion was (1) free spoon pipe (aka bowl), (1) cheap grinder from amazon, I always had those RAW cones because I never learned to roll a proper joint or blunt...and eventually I bought (1) grav bubbler.

Coming up on 11 months ago, I bought my first vape and got hooked. Really happy with how my little collection has turned out so far and its obviously grown way faster than I expected...and I've spent much more and own much more weed related shit now than I ever did before lol.

Went from 1 cheapo grinder to 1 BCG, 1 Large BCG on order, and a flower mill...a bunch of different vapes even though they all essentially "do the same thing" (as we know they dont) etc etc.

At least I can finally say my obsessive need has died down quite a bit. Hoping to eventually get this more to a background hobby than a primary obsession lol

NimChimpsky

VAS hit me pretty hard and quick... much more so then from my combustion days. All I ever owned my entire time of combustion was (1) free spoon pipe (aka bowl), (1) cheap grinder from amazon, I always had those RAW cones because I never learned to roll a proper joint or blunt...and eventually I bought (1) grav bubbler.

Coming up on 11 months ago, I bought my first vape and got hooked. Really happy with how my little collection has turned out so far and its obviously grown way faster than I expected...and I've spent much more and own much more weed related shit now than I ever did before lol.

Went from 1 cheapo grinder to 1 BCG, 1 Large BCG on order, and a flower mill...a bunch of different vapes even though they all essentially "do the same thing" (as we know they dont) etc etc.

At least I can finally say my obsessive need has died down quite a bit. Hoping to eventually get this more to a background hobby than a primary obsession lol
Very similar story and timeline with me. Almost a year into my journey as well and finally feel like I'm closing in on vaporizer homeostasis. @Shit Snacks summarized it well too lol.

So far, my VAS (along with "Glass/Grinder/Tool/Accessory acquisition syndromes) has served me well. I've been through ~20 vapes in the last year (currently have like 10 and sold the others for typically 70-90% of what I paid) and my most recent acquisitions have become my favs and daily drivers (Aromatizer/TB/TM/Neo - also have a FW7 otw so we'll see how that fits in :brow: ).. so I'm glad I kept on exploring!

But now, with the great satisfaction in my current lineup, there's very little I feel like I need to invest in anymore and feel like I can conserve my money for future product launches that I know I will want (SS BCG, Tafée wpa, unexpected shit). I also feel like my glass/tool/accessory game is now strong as fuck and I (finally/so far) have no desires for anything else in these categories.

Of course, I won't kid myself into thinking my VAS has been vanquished - and I don't really think it should be as long as it brings you joy and you can afford it - but as @BrianTL said, I feel like it's finally tamped down to a sustainable level now that I've explored most of the areas I am interested in.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I've embraced the Dark Side. With no Partner-In-Life (a bitter PIL) to encourage moderation, nor any other engaging hobby to occupy my time, I vape a lot because I like it. I'm always curious about new products, and I get the ones that pique my interest. I'm not missing any meals because of my VAS; rather, I wouldn't be surprised if I have put a few extra lbs on. "Harmless fun", I tell myself. Could be worse. I could be into So. Korean Boy Band music.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I think it's correctly identified as a syndrome, because it's something that is in your genetic makeup and you manage it. It never truly goes away for good. For me it usually subsides because of either guilt or because you are still in a honeymoon phase with your new purchase(s), or both.

VAS is compounded by the fact that I do not sell my old vape stuff to recoupe some of the money. I just stick in the vape graveyard and move on.

Sometimes VAS hits me to fill a need. The right vape for the right situation.
Sometimes it's due to an older vape breaking or being forsaken.
Sometimes it's because all the cool kids have one.
Sometimes the artisan thing kicks in and you want it for it's beauty or quality of build. You know what I mean, those of you who gotta have it in exotic burl. :nod:

RPAS (Rosin Press Acquisition Syndrome), that was an expensive one!

I have another thing with great looking concentrates. When the dispensary has something new and terpy and saucy, I gotta run down there and get it. I have quite a collection of little jars filling up the butter drawer in the refrigerator!

arb

Semi shaved ape
I had it until I found satisfying devices.
Now I only lust after different species and shapes of the same plug in.
Fortunately the portable I love is a souless hunk of steel and I got lucky with finding a good mod fairly quickly.
I have been losing it over glass for a few years and it has grown........a bit out of control.
Waiting on 3 more pieces now and after they come in that's it.
Except for some 18\18 downstems........gotta have those for fucks sake.
😆

Gigsabits53

When I first started vaping I went a bit crazy. It's that feeling when you try something new and then you just have to find out everything you can about it. My initial vape was the Boundless CFX, not the best vape but it was a start. That's when I found FC and have made much better decisions since then.

Anyway, I bought a lot of vapes in a short amount of time. My VAS was out of control for about 8 months. I finally decided that I have what I need for the most part. The Flowerpot was a big help in controlling my VAS also. It has been the holy grail for me the last few years.

I mostly am on the lookout for accessories to vaping, glass, grinders, dropdowns, etc. I know I will buy more vapes in the future because it really has turned into a big part of my life. I absolutely love vaping :)

shredder

I had it bad, but I lost it, then it came back again in a different form.

I haven't bought a vape since the firewood 6 came out, what 2 years maybe? But I really haven't vaped in a year or more, unless you count a couple puffs after harvesting a new variety, and maybe 2 or 3 dab hits in a year.

Now I have decarbing, cooking, baking and lab equipment acquisition syndrome. It never really stopped, it just metastasized into another form.

Last edited:
VAS has come in waves for me over the years. There was the initial rush when I first started vaping, and then again when I revamped my lineup over the past couple of years.

Lately, the VAS has been dissipating for me. I think it’s because I found some devices that I’m really happy with, and fit all of my possible use cases. In fact, I’m thinking about subtracting, not adding, as I really only use the same 2-3 vapes now, while the others have gone unused for months...

Kins

I actually tend to like desktop vapes a lot more than portables. Seems like whenever I waste money on a new portable it's great for a week or so and then I go back to my flowerpot. I don't travel or anything so I really don't need any portable. Portables are fun for a week or several weeks and then get regulated to the closet with the rest of the portables. Still I would like to see more innovation with desktop vapes.

oldfool

About 8 or 10 years ago I was combusting about an ounce a week.
And every couple of weeks I would get sick and spend a couple of days coughing up black shit.

Got me a VAPORBLUNT BAKER DAB. Used it for a year or so vaping flower and concentrate. Just broke it out last week, still working great.
Then I went through the Dr Dabber pen and then the Puffco pen. the Puffco was my daily driver for a year or more.
The I got the Source Vape Orb4 and many other SV items. First with an iStick Pico and then with a 2 cell Vaporesso mod.
Stocked up on attys and the Orb4 has been my only way to medicate till a couple of months ago. Still got 25+ attys.

I've gone a little crazy. Focus V Carta, Dr Dabber Switch, Divine Tribe V4 with polished SiC cup. New 2 cell mod with Arctic Fox.
Sapphire, SiC and S-Tier+ Inserts for the Switch. Using all of them plus the Baker.

Got a Ditanium and ruby balls on the way, also a Lift Innovations reject grinder on the way.

I think I'm done again. :rofl:

kadjo

About 8 or 10 years ago I was combusting about an ounce a week.
And every couple of weeks I would get sick and spend a couple of days coughing up black shit.

Got me a VAPORBLUNT BAKER DAB. Used it for a year or so vaping flower and concentrate. Just broke it out last week, still working great.
Then I went through the Dr Dabber pen and then the Puffco pen. the Puffco was my daily driver for a year or more.
The I got the Source Vape Orb4 and many other SV items. First with an iStick Pico and then with a 2 cell Vaporesso mod.
Stocked up on attys and the Orb4 has been my only way to medicate till a couple of months ago. Still got 25+ attys.

I've gone a little crazy. Focus V Carta, Dr Dabber Switch, Divine Tribe V4 with polished SiC cup. New 2 cell mod with Arctic Fox.
Sapphire, SiC and S-Tier+ Inserts for the Switch. Using all of them plus the Baker.

Got a Ditanium and ruby balls on the way, also a Lift Innovations reject grinder on the way.

I think I'm done again. :rofl:
Where did you find that DTV4 polished SiC cup....asking for a friend.....

west-elec

The good thing about VAS compared with a regular shopping addiction (that is what you have, time to admit it) is we get to do all the after purchase playing around and comparing and testing. Then we stimulate the dopamine and cannabinoid receptors both at once. Every session as we enjoy the great hits we can congratulate ourselves on our clever purchase and get that release happening all over again.
Your VAS kicks in when the dopamine side is no longer giving the reward. So unconsciously you find yourself in the forum again and the wheel keeps on turning...

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I have found that reason behind my VAS itches was that i am not getting what i want . Since i started DIYing , fiddling concepts and exploring their variations,this new hobby, kind of replaced the classic VAS,now i am more interested in getting tooling and parts . Took a while but i have mastered 1 torched powered with 4 variations in sizes (my take on the Gn0me concept),4 variations of glass ball logs, 3 variations of Halo-logs,1 x 510-halogen portable ,2 other all glass desktops in the vain of vapolution and probably we can add the various cooling stems and j-hooks ,lol... I have like 6 concepts,with multiple variations as mentioned this results in having like at least 15 DIY vaporizers.
:D Did i replaced cigarettes with e-juice ,or is it the other way around,at times i feel like DIYing might end up more harmful to my wallet than just buying a few vapes,i will never buy 15 vapes...

darbarikanada

as one who doesn't have VAS, I just want to thank all of you for sharing your experiences. between you and people like Troy (420 vape zone), we get detailed descriptions of how these devices work in real-world conditions so we can benefit from your experiences when we make our more occasional purchases. I personally was caught up in the excitement about a certain unnamed vape when it came out, but cooled my heels to see how it would play out and - sure enough - the device ended up being more of a pain than the early reviews said and is no longer in production. I'll be curious to see if the rapid pace of innovation levels off now; batteries and convection devices have gotten close to the holy grail everyone said they wanted not too long ago: quick heat-up, portability, big rips. batteries will continue to improve, and maybe someone will make an all-convection device that doesn't require special technique (e.g. grind, pack, amount) to not need stirring, but I think we should all raise a glass - or vape - to how far things have come.

condition

Lots of well written replies here, mine would low impact the thread, but here it is

I am more like the OP, started combusting decades ago but around 10 years ago I got a volcano digit and used it with solid & easy valve. Some years later my first portable, the pinnacle pro and after a year one of first mighty versions. I wasn't happy with pinnacle but I was with mighty, so I stopped using volcano for good, but I was still combusting and using the Mighty together.

Mighty had housing and battery problems, so beginning 2020 I got a Crafty+ and a Firefly 2+. However somedays I was still combusting a lot, so on January this year I got an Omnivap and a TinyMight. Was very impressed with DynaVap system and immediately ordered a Simrell Vortex. On March when the Bowle arrived in EU I bought the small one. But Then the new improved 2021 model of Omnivap appeared (without me knowing at the time of ordering the old model) so I got it. I have also acquired some cheaper models like Snoop's. After the arrival of the Bowle and the new omni I have reduced combusting to a minimum, a joint per day after work, as I used for years...

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
I have found that reason behind my VAS itches was that i am not getting what i want . Since i started DIYing , fiddling concepts and exploring their variations,this new hobby, kind of replaced the classic VAS,now i am more interested in getting tooling and parts . Took a while but i have mastered 1 torched powered with 4 variations in sizes (my take on the Gn0me concept),4 variations of glass ball logs, 3 variations of Halo-logs,1 x 510-halogen portable ,2 other all glass desktops in the vain of vapolution and probably we can add the various cooling stems and j-hooks ,lol... I have like 6 concepts,with multiple variations as mentioned this results in having like at least 15 DIY vaporizers.
:D Did i replaced cigarettes with e-juice ,or is it the other way around,at times i feel like DIYing might end up more harmful to my wallet than just buying a few vapes,i will never buy 15 vapes...
I feel you. I was VASing bad until I started making my own stuff, now I'm addicted to that. All in all pretty good exchange though, feels much nicer. Although setups sound seriously cool, you should do a thread with them!

Top Bottom