Varieties of tomatoes

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Since I moved into a new house, I was almost ecstatic to find I was only 1.5 miles from a farmer's market. So today I was semi smart and went with a friend from work at 10 am instead of 4 pm. I picked up these weird tomatoes that I tried at someone's house a week ago (they got them from the same market).

They aren't Beefsteak, Roma, Heirloom, Grape or Cherry tomatoes.

BVVNM.jpg

Very sharp in taste and the skin is thicker, rather like a Green Pepper.

Anyone have a name for these things?

Tom

tdavie,

weedemon

enthusiast
weedemon,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
@FLskwat it looks like you are correct. Thanks! The picture of the inside of the plumito looks like the inside of the tomatoes I bought (thick skin like a pepper).

Tom

tdavie,

NiceLungs

Account Closed
Tomatoes are delicious and healthy :) Those look like a nice specimen. Good snag.

NiceLungs,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Heirloom tomatoes are my 'killer' tomatoes. :)

I saw a sign at the farmer's market saying "brand new variety of heirloom tomatoes". I had thought "arent heirloom varieties 100 years or older? (what the he'll is brand new heirloom???)".

Delicious either way :drool: (purple and small with a toughish skin and a purple tomato concentrate pulpy/seedy center).

Progress,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
@Progress; take this with a very large grain of salt, but Heirloom tomatoes are varieties that have supposedly been 'isolated' from tomato hybridization that started occurring late 40's early 50's?

And the stores are starting to carry these :)

Purple tomatoes? Would give a purple tomato sauce/salsa? Hmmmm.

Tom

[meant to ask; what do they taste like in a grilled cheese sandwich if you know]

tdavie,

djonkoman

purple tomatoes are better resistant against mold I think I read somewhere(because of the chemical that makes them purple, anthocyaan or so it's called I believe)

djonkoman,

lepstadder

An heirloom plant, heirloom variety, or (especially in the UK) heirloom vegetable is a cultivar that was commonly grown during earlier periods in human history, but which is not used in modern large-scale agriculture. Many heirloom vegetables have kept their traits through open pollination, while fruit varieties such as apples have been propagated over the centuries through grafts and cuttings. The trend of growing heirloom plants in gardens has been growing in popularity in North America and Europe over the last decade.

from WIKI

lepstadder,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
Heirlooms also often lack modern disease resistance and generally do not ship well so they are not profitable for large scale farming.

The op's toms look like a variety i'm growing called san marzano.

Those purple tomatoes ones may be Cherokee Purple if they are big slicers. i grow them but do not like tomatoes, hubby makes salsa, he loves them. He says they are sweet and juicy. they are kind of purplish red, not as striking in color say as a purple potato, but very pretty nonetheless. They are a fairly common heirloom.

herbgirl,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
I'm growing just one sweet 100 cherry tomato and one red currant tomato this year. Both are doing well, almost too sweet for me.

rabblerouser,
Top Bottom