Variable voltage power supply (pd, mz, wdz)

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
well, about a week and a half ago, i received a variable voltage power supply, from the link that nicelytoasted originally posted
http://www.web-tronics.com/00addcreposu.html

i think this thing is great its awesome to be able to dial in the temp on my pd, my average temp range is from 11.5v-13.2v depending on my mood

my ratings of temperature are based on my own preferences and experience
11.5 is good low temp, 11.7-11.9 is high low temp, 12v-12.3v is low medium 12.3v-12.7 is medium and 13v is medium high (when flavor isnt spoiled but heavier cannabinoids are extracted) occasionally i go up to 13.5 v but thats def high temp i wouldnt want to go any higher

edited for typos

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Ben

Looks very interesting AoZ, and they do have also resellers in Europe... :brow:

I'm ordering one soon and let you know about my favorite temperature settings.

Anyway, this can only be more accurate than my current adjustable temperature settings :" kozie off" or "koozie on"! :D

Ben,
IAmKrazy2 said:
Anyone used anything that isn't close to $60?
Yeah, that thing looks quite nice for the price (for a lab or workbench) but seems like more than overkill as far as money and desk space required for hooking up to your vape.

(Edit: Post number 69! - FTW)

Howie Feltersnatch,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Acolyte of Zinglon said:
well, about a week and a half ago, i recieved a variable voltage power supply, from the link that nicelytoasted originally posted
http://www.web-tronics.com/00addcreposu.html

i thikn ithis thing is great its awesome to be able to dial in the temp on my pd, my average temp range is from 11.5v-13.2v depending on my mood

my ratings of temperature are based on my own preferences and experience
11.5 is good low temp, 11.7-11.9 is high low temp, 12v-12.3v is low medium 12.3v-12.7 is medium and 13v is medium high (when flavor isnt spoiled but heavier cannabinoids are extracted) occasionally i go up to 13.5 v but thats def high temp i wouldnt want to go any higher
Wow.... I totally forgot I have one of these at my work. I had never even thought to hook it up to my PD. Thanks for the info. Now I have something to use this thing for, it is just sitting there collecting dust.

DevoTheStrange,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
Ben said:
Looks very interesting AoZ, and they do have also resellers in Europe... :brow:

I'm ordering one soon and let you know about my favorite temperature settings.

Anyway, this can only be more accurate than my current adjustable temperature settings :" kozie off" or "koozie on"! :D
indeed ive noticed a definate difference using the well-regulated power, there seem to be a lot of variances in local power grid that effect the voltage of an unregulated power source, its better than the koozie method too

i generally like to switch temps between sessions to give the exchanger plenty of time to change temp, iim not sure how long it actually takes but i definately notice differences between temps

one thing about this power supply is that to change the temp by about 0.5 you only give the knob a tiny little nudge, we're dealing with a much smaller voltage range than the supply's full range

im not aware of anything cheaper but this is one high quality peice of equipment, i feel it was worth it to expand the functionality of my favorite vape

Acolyte of Zinglon,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Do you leave your unit plugged into the power supply all the time? I know with the one I own, that thing will get damn hot after a few hours. The one I have has a bit more control on it (four knobs instead of two, two course adjustments and two fine adjustments), and these huge black heat fins in the back of it.... after use they get too hot to even touch.
I used one of these every day and found that I would only plug it in when in use. When not in use I would unplug it. Ive seen these power supplies over heat after long periods of time.

At least with the variable lab supply I have, I would only use it when i want to use my PD. I would not leave my PD plugged into the supply 24/7. I would take the PD off and plug it into the normal wall wart when not using. It is really easy to blow the fuse in this type of supply with prolonged heavy use. Thank god its just a fuse too, would suck if the whole supply went.

Now I gotta run to the store and get some new wire, banana plugs, and an M plug so I can use my supply.

DevoTheStrange,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
mine gets warm after a full day of use, but not hot. i do turn it off at night because its by my bed and the lit screen is too bright to ignore, i usually keep one pd on a wall wart for morning sessions

imo pd isnt really suitable for "as needed" power, it takes at least an hour to fully heat up, as the heat exhanger is designed to take a low power heating source ans store the energy

Acolyte of Zinglon,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
yeah the one I get is warm after an hour, and hot after two.... the fins do their job, I just think it is pretty amazing how hot these power supplies get compared to others I have seen.
However the one I have goes up to 24v, not 18v. I was going to sell it... not now, knowing that I can use it for my PD.
Have you noticed how long it takes your Vaporizer to adjust to the different Temps?

DevoTheStrange,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
DevoTheStrange said:
yeah the one I get is warm after an hour, and hot after two.... the fins do their job, I just think it is pretty amazing how hot these power supplies get compared to others I have seen.
However the one I have goes up to 24v, not 18v. I was going to sell it... not now, knowing that I can use it for my PD.
Have you noticed how long it takes your Vaporizer to adjust to the different Temps?
i usually change the temp after a session so that its ajdusted by my nest session, or a half hour before a session to give it plenty of time. unless im low temping im fine with one temp from start to finish for a session, if i want to change temps ill usually switch pds

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
ive started using the current regulation feature on this power supply rather than the voltage, it seems to give a much more consistant temperature that way, the amount of current i give it is 0.5-0.6A, 0.5A being low temp and 0.6A being high temp

Acolyte of Zinglon,

wolf torn

this looks nice

getting mine tomorrow hopefuly and ntd just pointed this out

looks promising

anyone else try it out?

wolf torn,

deathduck

Acolyte of Zinglon said:
ive started using the current regulation feature on this power supply rather than the voltage, it seems to give a much more consistant temperature that way, the amount of current i give it is 0.5-0.6A, 0.5A being low temp and 0.6A being high temp

Why would you use .5 or .6A when the default power supply is 1.0A?

I'm thinking about getting a new power supply for my PD to increase the temp to around 415'F, can anyone recommend what I should get? I'm thinking 13.5v 1A... any help here?

deathduck,

lwien

deathduck said:
I'm thinking about getting a new power supply for my PD to increase the temp to around 415'F, can anyone recommend what I should get? I'm thinking 13.5v 1A... any help here?

Man, I wouldn't do that. The PD isn't really designed to operate that warm. Could cause additional charring inside thereby causing the HE to loosen up amongst other possible issues.

Trying to force a vape beyond it's design isn't really a good idea. If you want to go that high in temp, I'd suggest getting another vape.

lwien,

stinkmeaner

I don't own one so I cant comment for sure but it would seem that if you adjusted the temperature that it would take a while to take effect since it uses a low watt resistor instead of a typical heating element. Higher wattage heaters will also heat faster, in theory anyways.

stinkmeaner,
Top Bottom