• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Vaporstar portable vaporizer review

Beezleb

vaporcloud said:
I have converted my VG to a bong setup that uses water and I have no issues with it. It works the same way as a bong except you have to draw a little slower and longer to ensure the heat is drawn through the herb rather than a quick lick of the flame when combusting. The vapor passes through the water but the technique is no different with or without H2O.

:2c: I will say though when there is water, the drawing in of air does of course create bubbles so a bic flame sort of does a little dance instead of being pulled directly in. Even though this works fine I do prefer a torch flame and aim it at the VG flame filter. The bubbling air intake has no effect on a blue flame.

:peace:
nice, do they make them that you can adapt it or did you mgyver it up?

Beezleb,

SuperTorch

For the VaporStar or VG to work with water you need more than comes with it at original purchase. The wooden bowl of the VaporStar or VG is not meant to be submerged in water, but the VS is designed to fit a 14.4 opening. So to be clear you have to buy a diffuser(perffered) or standard down stem then put the VaporStar in that down stem and place the down stem with the water in your fav water pipe. The VaporStar requires no modification to be used with water just and additional part that can be found at most and pipe shops. The VG requires you to modify it to be easy to use with a waterpipe.

The VaporStar might require small modification depending on how deep the channel of the down stem is, the very bottom of the VaporStar will hit before seating perfectly this just mean see/fit your down stem in person before you buy it. This down stem is almost perfect but you would have to cut about 1/4-1/2 inch off the bottom of the VaporStar to have it sit all the way down in the diffuser.

http://www.everyonedoesit.co.uk/online_headshop/GSpot_Diffuser_145.cfm?iProductID=4073

SuperTorch,

alucard

SuperTorch said:
So to be clear you have to buy a diffuser(perffered) or standard down stem then put the VaporStar in that down stem and place the down stem with the water in your fav water pipe. .
Thank you, that clears up the issue with the creation of vapor. I'm still not sure about what I would need to buy. If I want to use the VS as a water pipe, do I need to buy a waterpipe and a diffuser, or just a diffuser?

alucard,

SuperTorch

You need a water pipe that has a down stem and that down stem needs to have a 14.4-18.8 opening so you can sit the VS in it. Then put your herbs in and lighter up and your rocking.

SuperTorch,

runner

Basshead
Sorry for bringing up old threads but how long has the vaporstar been out of stock and are they still selling them?

runner,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
ts been in and out several times since this thread was updated, its probably just that theyre having trouble keeping up with their popularity

Acolyte of Zinglon,

marcuss

above the clouds
yes man...Vaporstar Dave(the creator) is UP and running...just send an email and he will appear!!

marcuss,

max

Out to lunch
runner said:
Sorry for bringing up old threads but how long has the vaporstar been out of stock and are they still selling them?
No apology necessary. It's exactly where your post belongs. And as marcuss said, he's open for business. You can even order on-line.

max,

runner

Basshead
Alright cause on his website all of them were sold out and I remember people asking if he still offered them before, but I think I'm gonna go with the Genie.

runner,

Benny

can u guess?
They definitely have some in stock now... I just received my second Vaporstar yesterday! (still got my original star, just wanted a second for my girls house)

:2c: btw, I own a Vapor Genie as well... and I'd go with the Vaporstar if I was you. Imo, yes the genie works, but not like the star. Not even close.

Benny,

SuperTorch

I don't want to start any war with VaporGenie owners but the record is starting to show that people who have owned both consider the VaporStar quite superior. I haven't ever owned a VaporGenie but felt like that would probably be the case for me also since I like to clean my glass and bowl to like new routinely. I wouldn't post this at all in the VaporGenie thread as Im not trying to change minds but more to help help with first decisions, but I've heard from about 5 now and all find the VaporStar as the keeper product. We know that they both work so we don't need to get into that, I think the VG probably breaks more and you burn more often with the VG. With the Vaporstar the visual the glass pipe offers as to when to heat up or let off allows for much more control to not scorch is a major plus feature for sure. With the VaporGenie your just trying to recall time of flame, temp of herb, changing moisture level of herbs(at every hit) to hit it right, with the VaporStar you just eyeball the (Glass(if its clean, if its dirty it can be hard to see)) and as the vapors start to appear you know where you stand, thats a no brainier. The VaporStar is also just rugged, very hard wood bowl and a stainless steal cap, simplicity equals reliability.

I also want to point out my experience vs electric units. With electric units there becomes a dial game, where should the temp be with the herb I have today, dry herb less than moist herb or you will burn it, and as hits get drier and drier you want to use less heat to not burn but you need more heat to get the last amount. I found that electric units are not as controlled as someone who has never owned one might think(like me before I bought them) and it really made me appreciate my VaporStar even more. The VaporStar also used less herb but since herb is so cheap I don't necessarily see that as a huge plus. With electric units sometimes I burnt it while pushing for the last amount, other times hit after hit I got nothing when I was trying to get the last amount out of a bowl that should have still had some left. With the VaporStar you know just about every time how much of a hit your getting and proved more predictable than even the electric units. If you don't overload the VaporStar it has an uncanny ability to stop dead in its tracks at the point of no more vapors, then you know if you want to push it and leave the flame on for a long time you can but will most likely scorch it, ie the vaporstar accurately clues you in on when its time to give up(like 3 good flame attempts late in a bowl yielding nothing), you can push it-even force it, but when you do that scorch is on your record not the vaporstar that stop delivering vapors before you decided to push for more. 2 years of ownership and zero complaints, I go to forums looking for info and clues as to where to put my cash/time to smart use, At $50 shipped w/glass I believe this combo is unbeatable. :2c: :ninja:

SuperTorch,

SuperTorch

Benny, Weird that I'd be in the process of posting my above thread and you'd come in and post something related. :cool:

SuperTorch,

SuperTorch

Some have reported, the ceramic part separating from the bowl, others have broken the pipestem. If anyone loves the VaporGenie then Rock On, as I do with my VaporStar.

SuperTorch,

lwien

The VS requires a bong to work, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

I just don't see how we can compare the two being that they really are two different animals. One is pipe based, which makes it super portable (a lot of people just take the stem off and throw it away because they feel that they have more air control that way) , and the other is bong based, which makes it virtually non-portable, as I just can't see one loading a bong in their pants pocket and headin' out the door.

(Is that a bong in your pocket or are you just really happy to see me? :o)

And talk about breaking. I'd sure hate to have anything that's made out of glass breaking in my pocket.

Maybe I'm off base here, and if I am, please give me a bit more info. From everything that I have read, they are BOTH great products in their specific uses and comparing them just seems a bit odd, other than the fact that they are both butane based, and both sell for around 50 bucks but their applications are so different...............unless you take portability out of the equation, which is one of the main selling points of the VG.

lwien,

SuperTorch

The Vaporgenie is technically more portable if your talking about a bong, but I don't think of the VaporStar as be "Not Portable" your talking about a few inches and there are tons of cool all glass mini-bongs that are 4 inches and if you want to add tubing to the end of the VaporStar like what is on a whip, then the VaporStar become ultra portable(especially if you cut the tubing to 6 inches). The Genie doesn't stir as easily as the VaporStar, if you want to stir your VaporGenie you have to unscrew the bowl stir and replace the bowl which is threaded(no help). With the VaporStar there are 3 marks on it at 33.33 degrees and after every hit you just rotate 1/3rd and the air turbulence will be hitting a different portion of the herbs. Its designed to open with the tweezers and stir with the tweezers(your stir stick and always on hand) every three draws, but I've did a 6 count rotation and it worked beautifully as well in stoping from scorching while still getting good vapors.

SuperTorch,

lwien

SuperTorch said:
The Vaporgenie is technically more portable if your talking about a bong, but I don't think of the VaporStar as be "Not Portable" your talking about a few inches and there are tons of cool all glass mini-bongs that are 4 inches and if you want to add tubing to the end of the VaporStar like what is on a whip, then the VaporStar become ultra portable(especially if you cut the tubing to 6 inches). The Genie doesn't stir as easily as the VaporStar, if you want to stir your VaporGenie you have to unscrew the bowl stir and replace the bowl which is threaded(no help). With the VaporStar there are 3 marks on it at 33.33 degrees and after every hit you just rotate 1/3rd and the air turbulence will be hitting a different portion of the herbs. Its designed to open with the tweezers and stir with the tweezers(your stir stick and always on hand) every three draws, but I've did a 6 count rotation and it worked beautifully as well in stoping from scorching while still getting good vapors.
Naw, I never take the top off to stir. I just shake it a bit and tap it against the palm of my hand between hits and whaala, everything is redistributed.

Ok, this is a VapoStar thread, so I'll just bow out, but again, I don't see how one can compare one to the other or claim that one is better than the other. The way I see it, they're both great at what they are designed to do and how they are designed to do it.

lwien,

gak hater

i see them as two totally different animals myself
one is a vapor bowl that needs something added to it to operate
and the other a vapor pipe
its like comparing an apple and a orange
yes they are both fruit, but totally different...

gak hater,

SuperTorch

Well like I said I've never owned a VaporGenie but to me it seems like a lighter based vaporizer that I would use around the house pick up and carry here or there, and I would never buy the VaporStar with out the glass, I speak about it in terms of using with the original glass bong I have no idea why anyone would not buy the glass. The Vaporstar can also be use with water if you have the right sized downstem(the easiest way is to cut off the end of the Vaporstar and it will fit almost any 14.4 Down Stem snuggly its length sometimes stops it on some down stems). I don't see them as being that different that they shouldn't be compared but like I said anyone who loves there VaporGenie cool thats what we all striving for. I did pause my thoughts about the VaporStar vs the VaporGenie until now I've heard to many times from people who have owned BOTH and the are not slamming the VaporGenie they are just supporting the VaporStar which lends to the credibility of their comments. I found it funny that when I was typing my large post above Benny had not made his comment but when I posted it followed his.

SuperTorch,

max

Out to lunch
I have both and my preference is the Vaporstar, but it is just personal preference. The Genie has the edge for portability, but the Vaporstar with the Micro Pipe can fit in a shirt pocket just as easily. It doesn't require glass at all. You could connect it directly to a length of tubing. The top comes off quicker and easier, but it also gets hot.

As for comparing them, they're not as similar as two box vapes, but comparison is warranted IMO. They are very much alike in design and price. They both have pluses and minuses in their features, compared to each other, and I think for most, preferences in the features dept. would be the deciding factor, rather than performance.

max,

runner

Basshead
I was going to get the Genie for the sake of portability. I would mostly be using it at a friend's house and it would be a lot easier imo, to carry a pipe than glass, although I haven't looked at the mini-pipe.

runner,

max

Out to lunch
Vaporstar (Dave) calls it the 'Micro-pipe', but it's not a selection on his site now. It's actually called the 'Mini Traveller', a 'made in China' piece that's kind of hard to find. This site shows it, but you can't order.

http://www.chronicglass.com/products2/372.html

It seems to be more available in the UK.

max,

Bananiq

Yes, the Micro-pipe is well-designed but the glass is not so durable imo. Mine was shattered after one day of usage. At least, I can keep the leather pouch :p

Bananiq,
Top Bottom