Vaporizations and flavonoids

TiSteamo

VAPEnsiero... sull'ali dorate...
I recently heard an antiprohibitionist doctor say about the method of taking it: "From a strictly medical point of view, smoking is bad, in fact I advise my patients to vaporize it but... there is a but: vaporization does not vaporize the flavonoids which are the anti-inflammatories....and after a while the vape burns everyone's throat....it's not a complete method of intake...a quite healthy way to smoke would be the sebsi which is a long, thin, Moroccan pipe take one hit at a time and the smoke comes out quite fresh.
What do you think about it?

TiSteamo,

Knewt

I recently heard an antiprohibitionist doctor say about the method of taking it: "From a strictly medical point of view, smoking is bad, in fact I advise my patients to vaporize it but... there is a but: vaporization does not vaporize the flavonoids which are the anti-inflammatories....and after a while the vape burns everyone's throat....it's not a complete method of intake...a quite healthy way to smoke would be the sebsi which is a long, thin, Moroccan pipe take one hit at a time and the smoke comes out quite fresh.
What do you think about it?
Does the doctor also sell long thin Moroccan pipes?

TiSteamo

For example, I often cough a lot while i'm vaping...
and if I remember correctly when I smoked I didn't cough so much...:hmm::nope:

TiSteamo,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member

So... flavonoids prevent coughing? I feel like I am going to have to see a citation on that one.

I am sure this is not your intention, but there is so much wellness junk that gets peddled these days. I would be worried about any claims from a random person online. Especially if they are saying the solution is some gimmick.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Well that is because vapor is very dry, need moisture (glass of water helps!) Also can be worse if herbal particles are part of your inhale as they often are... right angle bends and cooling spikes and such helps... Smoking isn't "smoother", just different?

TiSteamo

This is a serious and very competent person and I have no reason to think that he is in any way "selling a product"...
It just made me think because it's true that smoking is bad, *any smoke*, but I notice that it's actually true that vaping makes me cough a lot, although my sessions are always accompanied by a drink and I was wondering how much there was of true.

TiSteamo,

TiSteamo

It is also true that coughing is not necessarily a bad thing: cannabis is a bronchodilator and expectorant: the "cough" that often follows smoking (or vaporizing) good quality cannabis (especially pure, not mixed with tobacco) is not an indication of a negative action of the substance: on the contrary, with the cough our body tries to expel foreign substances (dust, tar, etc.)

I read: "Certainly the heat of any smoke (including cannabis) can irritate and damage the respiratory tract, but there is no evidence of a correlation between cannabis smoke and lung damage; indeed, there is a vast medical literature in favor of the use of substance also smoked for the treatment of numerous diseases.

TiSteamo,

Vaporware

I rarely cough unless I take in a huge amount of vapor in one draw…have you considered that it might be the amount of THC or other compounds and not a difference between vapor and smoke?

In addition to drinking, I also make sure to breathe in extra air without vapor at the end of each draw. If my throat still has a lot of vapor in it when I stop inhaling that can also make me cough. :2c:

Shit Snacks

Keep in mind guys that I am a vaping enthusiast but I was curious about this opinion of a competent person who I respect very much

I would ask them for more scientific details? It is perhaps pretty likely they are not familiar with truly top tier modern vaporizers is all

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Keep in mind guys that I am a vaping enthusiast but I was curious about this opinion of a competent person who I respect very much
Since 80% of flavonoids are lost in cooking vegetables, I would assume lighting it on fire would do that and more.

However, when boiling vegetables, many of the flavonoids are lost to water vapor. So it sounds like vaping might contain more of those compounds.

I can't find a single study that measures the amount or impact of flavonoids in any human subject consumption of cannabis. There are some very dodgy lists of possible flavonoids in the whole plant. Although it is not clear to me what is in the flower, stalks or roots.

Common sense would imply eating cannabis would be best for maximizing flavonoids, although there are far better foods to accomplish that end.

I don't know who this expert is, or where they got their info, but it seems to be mostly pulled from thin air.

TiSteamo

Guys I'm talking about people who have written treatises on the subject of cannabis, people who have lived for years in remote villages in Malaana in India making the "cream" of charas ... the real one ... people who cultivate from '70s and have dedicated his entire life to this plant ... I think he is well versed on the subject .... maybe he will be less expert on vaporizers but he knows what he is talking about

TiSteamo,

Shit Snacks

Guys I'm talking about people who have written treatises on the subject of cannabis, people who have lived for years in remote villages in Malaana in India making the "cream" of charas ... the real one ... people who cultivate from '70s and have dedicated his entire life to this plant ... I think he is well versed on the subject .... maybe he will be less expert on vaporizers but he knows what he is talking about

We'd love to hear more specific info then! :D

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Given that there is not any evidence of flavonoids having an effect in human beings, and they are poorly absorbed and rapidly excreted, I suspect it is hardly worth considering. As I said, even in vitro there is not much to support claims of antiinflammatory properties. And of course, that is worse in vivo due to low bioavailability. And it doesn't seem like cannabis is a good source of flavonoids to begin with.

I would absolutely love to see the data that shows burning plant material increases the absorption or bioavailability. It goes against common sense, but many things do. However, nothing you have told me about your experts makes me think they have collected this data, or care to.

Anyone selling you flavonoids for health is probably selling you snake oil. If they are talking about cannabis flavor, that could prove interesting. Although smoking seems to destroy most of the flavor I find in vaping. So I would be surprised if smoking was prescribed to improve the flavor.

Anyway please share any specifics on the doctor and their dissertations. I would be really into reading it!

Grass Yes,
Reactions: hoptimum

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Guys I'm talking about people who have written treatises on the subject of cannabis, people who have lived for years in remote villages in Malaana in India making the "cream" of charas

maybe he will be less expert on vaporizers

You solved it. Time and technology have moved a bit over the years, we can scientifically determine when “flavonoids” are activated.

Top Bottom