Vaporists Peace of Mind

Troi

While I know there is little direct study where comparisons have been made on lungs that have combusted for years, then switched to full time vapor.

About 3 years ago my lungs were x-rayed for other reasons and my doctor noted that they were quite black, very obvious on the xray and he noted his concern for future complications from COPD, possible cancer ect. About 2 years ago I started vaporizing full time, and last week my lungs were xrayed, and the same doctor had simply assumed i stopped smoking all together because the blackness was completely gone, in fact the radiologist said on the observation that there's "no indication of lung infiltrates."

I'm going to try to get a copy of my before and after xrays if i can and I'll post them on here, but thought I would share this with everyone. At least I can attest that there's a significant health benefit to vaporizing, while i think all of us have known this all along, it would be great if there was more study into this so that public awareness can be increased on the health benefits of vaporizing.

I'd advise anyone on here who has recently switched to vapor, and has a long history of smoking to get a x-ray done, so that you can compare years later.

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
This is great news Troi! Congratulations on a clear xray.

I haven't had an xray in a while, but I certainly feel better and my lungs feel so much clearer than they did when I smoked.

momofthegoons,
Reactions: CarolKing

max

Out to lunch
I've heard this from others as well. Although there's no evidence that smoking herb causes cancer, who wants black lungs? Should be scary to anyone. Did you ever smoke cigs Troi?

Troi

I have smokd cigs, but mostly in college on rare ocassions, ive probably smoked less then 2 packs in my life. But I combusted daily for almost 5 years at the time of the xray (when the lungs were black)

max

Out to lunch
I don't think I've ever had a lung x-ray, but I'm sure one of mine would have looked like yours, or worse, back when I smoked. I smoked cigs for a long time, as well as herb. I quit the cigs 15 yrs. ago, and have been 99.99% vapor only for about the last 6 yrs., so hopefully an x-ray now would look as good as yours. Nice to know how well vapor allows the lungs to heal.

weedemon

enthusiast
i had pneumonia and got my lungs x rayed. Dr also commented on how black mine were. no ciggs, just pot smoker.

i ha been vaping only for about 5 -6 months i guess. in a while it owuld be cool to get more done and see what they look like again. :)

thanks for sharing troi!

weedemon,
Reactions: CarolKing

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Anyone who's used a pipe or water tool or even the same roach clip for a while knows that weed gives off lots of tar. The amazing thing to me is, as max says, there's no evidence that it causes cancer. On the other hand, there's also no doubt in my mind that the black crap from smoking collects in the lungs and impairs their operation. It's great news that your experience suggests that vapourizing doesn't have the same effect.

pakalolo,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
Tar in lungs is always bad. Just the weed smoke doesn't have some carcinogens that cig smoke has. Also cannabinoids prevent lungs from cancer somehow.

Seek,

Troi

Guys, While I am a huge proponet of cannibis, I'd have to disagree that there is no evidence that cannibis smoking causes lung cancer; there is evidence out there linking, just a few listed below. I had a deep conversation once with a few doctor friends of mine, and there is a property of cannibis (THC) specifically that causes cells to die and replicate faster, which in effect helps prevent cells that may be prone to mutation, die before they mutate. But my doctor friends pointed out if this is going on, eventually the cancer will appear.

This is currently why doctors feel there is less known cancer caused by cannibis smoking, however there has not been a enough money put into this for anyone to say that cannibis smoking causes lung cancer, or if it does not. Also the issue comes down to most patients do not admit to doctors that they smoke cannibis, and that is smart too, if that goes on your medical record, insurance companies could use that information to your disadvantage, never tell your doctor that you use cannibis, especially in a hopsital setting, primary maybe, but if that gets into your records health insurance can use it to tak pre-existing conditions, or treat you like a tobacco smoker. I fear that we will not know the truth of this until the US lets up on requirements for meidical studies on cannibis, or if it becomes legalized.

In my perspective though, one with black lungs, will meet his or her maker, much sooner then naturally expected, be it from many other complications, lung health sets the stage for the rest of the body, and other complications will arise such as heart problems, and possibly organ and tissue damage due to the lack of oxygen being absorbed by a clogged up lung over time, vs a healthy lung.

Some Cancer/cannibis smoking links

American Cancer Society. Lung Cancer (Small Cell). What are the risk factors for small cell lung cancer. Marijuana. Updated 07/28/10. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/LungCancer-SmallCell/DetailedGuide/small-cell-lung-cancer-risk-factors.

Berthiller, J. et al. Cannabis smoking and risk of lung cancer in men: a pooled analysis of three studies in Maghreb. Journal of Thoracic Oncology. 2008. 3(12):1398-403.

Chen, A. et al. Hypothesizing that marijuana smokers are at a significantly lower risk of carcinogenicity relative to tobacco-non-marijuana smokers: evidence based on reevaluation of current literature. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs. 2008. 40(3):263-72.

Hashibe, M. et al. Epidemiologic review of marijuana use and cancer risk. Alcohol. 2005. 35(3):265-75.

Mehra, R. et al. The association between marijuana smoking and lung cancer: a systematic review. Archives of Internal Medicine.

Sarafian, T. et al. Oxidative stress produced by marijuana smokers. An adverse effect enhanced by cannabinoids. American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology. 1999. 20(6):1286-93.

Tashkin, D. et al. Respiratory and immune consequences of marijuana smoking. Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2002. 42(11 Suppl):71S-81S.

Troi,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
I'd love to see a article that could prove that sole marijuana usage causes cancer. I know any kind of smoke inhalation has to be detrimental to the lungs but I've never heard of anyone developing cancer from only smoking herb.

Since I started vaping, I definitely feel alot healthier. My endurance and stamina have benefitted tremendously. It's good to hear that your lungs are doing much better.

tranceporter,

djonkoman

I've never combusted enough to notice any detrimental effect to my health, and vaping also hasn't noticable changed anything
but if I go on a combustionbinge(fr example smoke with friends who all smoke joints with tobacco mixed in) or I combust frequent over a few days I get a sore throat(especially in the morning), vaping usually never gives me that except when I'm sick and already have a sore throat, in that case combustion feels better at first since it burns away all feelings of pain, but after 15-20 minutes my throat starts hurting way worse
so if I'm sick I stick to vapor only

djonkoman,

aero18

vaporist
Any combusted organic material has carcinogens in it. Cannabis is not excluded. The reason that there haven't been conclusive studies to show that cannabis smokers have developed cancerous cells is the fact that there are numerous cannabinoids in the plant that act as mitotic "checkpoints" that causes cells to go through apoptosis when its genetic material has been deteriorated.

aero18,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
aero18 said:
Any combusted organic material has carcinogens in it. Cannabis is not excluded. The reason that there haven't been conclusive studies to show that cannabis smokers have developed cancerous cells is the fact that there are numerous cannabinoids in the plant that act as mitotic "checkpoints" that causes cells to go through apoptosis when its genetic material has been deteriorated.

Citation please.

pakalolo,

djonkoman

a study performed by dr. tashkin proved no higher risk on cancer to the airways with weedsmokers, risk of COPD was still there tough

studies of anticarcinogen effects of cannabinoids are numerous, apparently there's even a patent owned by the US government(haven't seen the patent myself, but I believe in the documentary 'what if cannabis cured cancer' they cite the patentnumber)

djonkoman,

omonibo

pakalolo said:
aero18 said:

Citation please.

I agree, this sounds interesting. Is there any way we can get a citation of this?

omonibo,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Combusted 8 years vaporizing almost 3-4 years!
I have better physical appearance + more power than i used to when i was training athletics on regular basis.. Just quitting smoke gave me so much power.
My lungs can take twice as much.. .And as far as i remember my schoolbooks .. Breathing is a process of taking and exhaling energy.. When you do exersizes like push ups or lifting.. You push with the exhale,recharge with inhale . .. Thats how you realease the power of the burnt and transformed energy.
In some martial arts ... it is one of the most important things when you do singles or combos.. Bruce Lee has written a special chapter on breathing combos and has found a way that you can do combo of 30-40 punches without getting a blackout or heartattack.. (Well i didn't manage to do it.. but at least he mentioned.. "if you feeling sick or fading black.. stop and sit down .. you are breathing wrong")..
Anyway i got carried away... What i wanted to point is that the health level of your lugs is reflecting on the ammount of energy you can take and realease.. which will result in less overall body power/energy..

kiefcamel

Vaporization is the future! Thanks for the story, reminds me that we are doing to right thing for our bodies..

Hey, if you like Bruce Lee there's a cool book of his called Wisdom Daily Living.. It's super easy to read, full of quotes of his and very insightful.

IF you want to strengthen your lungs (and HEART) evn more 30 minutes of cardio a day will do just that ;) and eating healthy (fruits veggies nuts whole grains beans lots of water )

kiefcamel,

Dafni

...I'm going to try to get a copy of my before and after xrays if i can and I'll post them on here...

If you could do that it would be great indeed.

Nice to hear anyway. Thanks for sharing. It's definitely encouraging news.

Dafni,
Top Bottom