Vaping Juice from Shatter Made Easy

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Hey guys. I have tried many devices to vape shatter and only end up coughing up a headache.
Nails, coils, ceramic discs and both ceramic and steel hot plates.
I really liked the stuff you can get in vape pens which I researched some to find the main ingredient that makes it work. Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) was used for ecigs till 2013 when they decided propylene glycol (PG) was a better alternative. No idea of who the fuck "they" are..? Anyway, happens that PEG is a "combiner" and can allow oil to be mixed with water. In watching discovery channel when they were in a cosmetics factory, the process became clear. Many cosmetics are a mixture of water and oil based products and here is how they do it.
They add, you guessed it, PEG and bring up the temperature to just under boiling. Keeping the product agitated at all times. Keep the heat there for a while and then let it cool slowly again agitating the whole time.

The things you will need are:

An all glass 20ml (or bigger) syringe.
Some Polyethylene Glycol (PEG).
A decent atomizer.
VG and flavoring are optional.

Here's a video I did on the process. Turn the Closed Captioning ON.

The result is something you can vape anywhere and no one will be the wiser. Tastes very nice to boot! Any no more coughing.

Have fun! :science:

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Tincture can be use for cooking or dose under the tongue, not traditionally for vaping.
Was that some kind of bubble hash in your video? Looks like lot of plant material left in what you were scrapping of the paper.

Many threads/discussions on here you may want to check out to assist you.
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/best-cartridges-for-distillate.25628/
Lots of info in the Cooking with Cannabis thread too.
I didnt watch the whole video(stopped when you broke out torch), but you're gonna lose some potency/not convert all thca, if that was your decarb method, I believe.

For most people probably just easier to buy something like Wax Liquidizer.
On their website they have very simple instructions(and a video, but video not really necessary if you've used a microwave before):

"Add 2ml of Wax Liquidizer and 1 gram of your favorite herbal oil concentrate to a microwave-safe cup or shot glass.
Heat the mixture in the microwave for 10 seconds, then stir to obtain an even, smooth consistency.
Draw the beautifully-infused vape oil into the measuring syringe, add to your portable vaporizer and enjoy!"

Last edited:

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Tincture can be use for cooking or dose under the tongue, not traditionally for vaping.
Was that some kind of bubble hash in your video? Looks like lot of plant material left in what you were scrapping of the paper.

Many threads/discussions on here you may want to check out to assist you.
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/best-cartridges-for-distillate.25628/
Lots of info in the Cooking with Cannabis thread too.
I didnt watch the whole video(stopped when you broke out torch), but you're gonna lose some potency/not convert all thca, if that was your decarb method, I believe.

For most people probably just easier to buy something like Wax Liquidizer.
On their website they have very simple instructions(and a video, but video not really necessary if you've used a microwave before):

"Add 2ml of Wax Liquidizer and 1 gram of your favorite herbal oil concentrate to a microwave-safe cup or shot glass.
Heat the mixture in the microwave for 10 seconds, then stir to obtain an even, smooth consistency.
Draw the beautifully-infused vape oil into the measuring syringe, add to your portable vaporizer and enjoy!"
Thanks. You are correct. I had gotten some terminology mixed up. Going to edit title.
I think that stuff in the link you gave is likely mostly made from PEG, although just guessing, as using for same idea basically.
However, it does make this shatter I have much more palatable.
I found vape pens tend to clog and fluids separate but this stays nice and wicks great till the end and beyond.
The key point being, it stays together and with a glass atomizer, externally heated on the fly.
:science:

Last edited:

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Yes, I believe it is a PEG product, more than likely as good as any other. I just mentioned it as it seemed easy to use is all. Not a huge fan of carts myself but am very familiar with the process.

Is your "not so palatable" shatter something you chose on purpose? Or just only available?
That's the one component of this where I wouldnt skimp on cost. Quality in = quality out.
Good luck with making the ecig juice and fine tuning your process!

I dig your Vapcap heater builds too btw. I have used one thanks to a good friend on here at one of our sessions. Definitely gotta grab one at some point to compliment my DynaVap gear.

Silver420Surfer,
Reactions: Pipes

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
It's one of those, one thing led to another, and ended up with a few grams of it.
Fun at first but hard to vape. I don't like the coughing it brings on.
This seems to do the trick and makes it very enjoyable. :freak:
Price-wise, $3 for the syringe, $18 for 8 ozs of PEG. Good for a long time. :2c:
The Wax Liquidizer you posted wants almost $30 for 1 oz. (30ml)
The key is temperature, close to, but not boil. To me, trusting the microwave may be iffy.
:cool:

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
I think most modern microwaves are more than fine, especially for 30 sec. lol.
But even then, its just as easy to do a double-boiler method and use a candy thermometer(or other appropriate temp measuring device) to temp it. If I were to do this again, I'd prob decarb with a double-boiler then add whatever PEG-type mixture after that. Don't forget you lose like 10% of potency after the decarb process.

Also make sure whatever you use(ej mix, PEG-type mix,Wax liquidizer, etc) isn't separating after a while.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic

Deleted Member 1643

Hi @Pipes's - love your flower vape thread!

As @Silver420Surfer says, this is discussed in numerous threads. IMO, PEG is the riskiest of the glycols commonly used for this purpose. The causes for concern are highlighted in the thread PG UPDATE-TOXIC, which discusses a scholarly article comparing the concentrations of toxic breakdown products produced by VG, PG and PEG. PEG produced far higher concentrations of aldehydes, including formaldehyde and acetaldehyde, than the other glycols. In addition, because PEG is no longer used in nicotine e-liquid, there's little experience with inhaling it. Inhalation is generally the most sensitive route of exposure, because it bypasses liver metabolism, which can reduce toxicity. So, there's legitimate cause for concern that is NOT offset by human experience. Personally, no longer use PEG (also because tolerance is now too high to enjoy cannabis e-liquid).

Prior to this article's publication, several forum participants (including yours truly) were interested in removing PEG from e-liquid preparations. These efforts are discussed in this thread. At the time, the reason for this is that many find the flavor and overall experience with PEG to be unpleasant. @randomtoker found that it's possible to use only PG in relatively high volumes (low concentrations of shatter).

Products like Wax Liquidizer appear to be PEG-based. PEG is listed among the ingredients along with PG (and sometimes VG), but the concentrations of each are confidential business information. It's entirely possible that there products are mostly PEG with small amounts of the other glycols added in an attempt to improve flavor and alleviate customer safety concerns. Yes, the price is ridiculous. The manufacturers of these products are likely buying large quantities of PEG very cheaply, adding a little of the other glycols (even cheaper), repackaging in small bottles, and enjoying very high profit margins.

Top Bottom