Vaping and dental/oral health

Scrimshaw

Vaped Crusader
If someone have been vaping heavy hitters desktops for a long time (2013 EVO and the rest is history) , it takes a toll not only at your lungs, tolerance, and something that I’ve never paid attention before, but it gets real when you are 40yo plus, it’s “gum receding”.
Have anyone noticed that gum line has receded like 1mm after all those years of vaping??
I’ve read about it, and started to drink some water and make myself salivate more before and after taking a hit from any vaporizer nowadays.
As a fellow "man of a certain age" I'm curious @Zangano Cruel where you read this?

I did find this link from the ADA, but it's mostly related to smoking cannabis. Elsewhere, most info on vaping is predictably about nicotine.

Those rubber gum stimulators are known to work wonders on receding gum issues. And drinking water certainly before/after makes sense. Anything else we can do?

Any dental/medical professionals or experienced patients care to weigh in?

ginolicious

Receding gums from vaping? Never heard of such a thing. I know it happens from chewing tobacco. Also tote guns can recede for various reasons

ginolicious,

Zangano Cruel

IG zan.cru (code) zancru (5% NV checkout discount)
As a fellow "man of a certain age" I'm curious @Zangano Cruel where you read this?

I did find this link from the ADA, but it's mostly related to smoking cannabis. Elsewhere, most info on vaping is predictably about nicotine.

Those rubber gum stimulators are known to work wonders on receding gum issues. And drinking water certainly before/after makes sense. Anything else we can do?

Any dental/medical professionals or experienced patients care to weigh in?
Very interesting link. Thanks. Much appreciated.

I’d like to read and listen more from people working on the matter as well.
The little info I read and got, isn’t enough.

I read about it a long time ago at this same forum. I’ve been a lurker since 2010, and a permanent FC member since 2012.
You know how many things get posted at this forum, and how many are opinions and else.

I had a dentist, do a fast check up at my oral health around 2 years ago, it was more like a general let’s see how bad are you doing since you never visit a dentist thing, and I don’t have health insurance.

After he fast checked for like a couple minutes, he told me as usual, floss more often, you have some small cavities that’ll need treatment in the future, and he asked me if I was a smoker?

I told him I smoked and vaped, but not what I smoked and vaped. I don’t really smoke, but I can’t tell the doctor I smoke/vape weed.
He told me he saw some smoking symptoms, in medical words I can’t remember now, but one of the most common are related to gums and their decay.

Besides a good oral hygiene, and rinsing/gargling with water, before/after a vapor hit, I’d recommend using a pipe, or any extension possible to cool off vapors.
Whips, dropdowns, extra stems etc etc
Everything helps!!!

And if using a glass pipe, I’ll try using water. Your lungs 🫁 and mouth will thank you during your retirement.
I use my common sense on the “dry vs wet glass pipegate” percolation.
I’ve used dry pipes with every vape I own, and after a few hours of vaping, I’ll start feeling uncomfortable.
Next day I’ll have a tight chest, some wheezing and some shortness of breath.
I vape my herbs to dark chocolate roasted ABV.
I’m always on the high end temperatures spectrum.

Using water on the glass pipes, will prevent almost all the negatives mentioned above and again, using common sense, I’d imagine it’ll help oral hygiene and prevent bigger gum diseases.
Stay vaped.
Mantente de la mente!!!

Zangano Cruel

Answer:

GOOD ORAL HYGENE.
Brush yo teef and gum.
Floss.

I would argue that if you do this regularly, any dental affects from vaping will be nominal or entirely non-existent.
Had you asked your dentist or a person that suffers from those conditions???

I’d argue even if you have “GOOD ORAL HYGIENE” and you “brush yo teef and gum” and “ya” “floss” you would have nominal to non existent effects from smoking/vaping.

With that in mind, we’ll be living in a perfect world.
Where I can eat and drink and do any drugs, but if I am very clean and eat healthy and do sports, I’d never get any disease, get sick, don’t get HIV/AIDS having unprotected sex with only very clean people, or get prostate or colon cancer, or lung 🫁 cancer, or any cancer, I wouldn’t don’t lose teeth or get cavities, wear & tear on my teeth????

Im guessing I’m going to start going annually to visit an Oncologist, that way “I prevent from developing any cancer”???

Sorry to go to this extent, because I’m guessing many people, if not all have lost people to cancer.
Mostly all my family have died from cancer, not counting 3 suicides.

Imho & experience there’s more to just “brush yo teef and gum” involved in oral hygiene, but ymmv.

Stay vaped.
Mantente de la mente!!!

Zangano Cruel,
Reactions: Scrimshaw

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Well i discussed this subject a dentists who is also a vaporist. He noticed two bad effects from vaping. One is the resin that builds up on teeth,helps accumulating more plaque,which requires to bump up on hygiene ,by using an ultra sonic brush and alcohol based mouthwash. The second thing is heat stress from very hot vapor,I.E vaping dry with a short airpath. It does damaged similar to the one you get from very hot drinks ot hot/cold combos. He recommends making the airpath longer and best case scenario to use some water filtration.

Zangano Cruel

Unluckily I don’t have scientific proof of what I’m common sensing, but we all know that nowadays, even breathing at certain cities or even certain “monsanto fumigated fields” could potentially harm/kill you in the long run.

I believe we don’t need to be doctors or professionals to assume that anything that our own bodies don’t produce, and we use to provide any effects on our bodies, needed for our own survival or pleasure, will have many many pros, and a lot of cons. Some very short term, some in the long run.

Some people are very lucky, carrying an unhealthy life, and live well to their 90yo and sleep to death.
Others are unlucky, behave all their lives, carrying a healthy non drugs lifestyles, to die of a cancer or else, painfully, in their youth.
Again, sorry about this dark moment comparisons.

And yes, anything that enhances the vapor path, cooling down vapor and the airflow entering your mouth will definitely help with any negative effects of vaping/smoking anything.

Stay vaped.
Mantente de la mente!!!

Zangano Cruel,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Im guessing I’m going to start going annually to visit an Oncologist, that way “I prevent from developing any cancer”

I have received a routine physical once a year for 30 years. They always do a blood workup. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one here in the forum, but my understanding is "they" can tell if something is amiss: cancer leaves a signature as do other illnesses.

At least I hope that is true.

EDIT: turns out, blood work doesn't show all cancers and illnesses.

Last edited:

Zangano Cruel

I have received a routine physical once a year for 30 years. They always do a blood workup. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one here in the forum, but my understanding is "they" can tell if something is amiss: cancer leaves a signature as do other illnesses.

At least I hope that is true.
I totally agree with that, but still doesn’t prevent or assure you that you aren’t getting cancer, right??

Even if “they” doctors can tell you something is amiss, cancer will get to people, even if they go to the doctor.
Prevention doesn’t mean we aren’t getting affected.

If so, please DM me your oncologist phone number, seems like you find the “oncologist grail” that will tell you, “you aren’t getting any cancer if you visit him for 30 years, and if you do a “blood work panel” you wouldn’t get any cancer!!!
I WANT that doctor/oncologist PLEASE.
For sure it’ll be really reassuring to visit him.

Do I need to worry about my words, since one of the rules of this forum is, “do not argue or go against moderators??” 😂🤣

“I am not a doctor, nor do I play one here in the forum”
Macbill (Staff member)
But as a “member or a moderator??” are you posting that comment??? 🤔🧐

Did I talked too much??
Am I getting a “warning”??
Am I getting banned??
Being sarcastic and believing I’m funny will “prevent me from getting banned??” 😂🤣

Stay vaped!
Mantente de la mente!!

Zangano Cruel,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Not knowing what you were getting at, I should have kept my mouth shut. You are right: we can't know what will get us; I was commenting that yearly exams help doctors sometime find our illnesses before they become physically apparent or kill us.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Well i discussed this subject a dentists who is also a vaporist. He noticed two bad effects from vaping. One is the resin that builds up on teeth,helps accumulating more plaque,which requires to bump up on hygiene ,by using an ultra sonic brush and alcohol based mouthwash. The second thing is heat stress from very hot vapor,I.E vaping dry with a short airpath. It does damaged similar to the one you get from very hot drinks ot hot/cold combos. He recommends making the airpath longer and best case scenario to use some water filtration.

Damn, this makes a lot of sense, but I really don't like to use mouthwash with alcohol, I have an aloe vera coconut oil one that I got into, and I also just use sensodyne toothpaste and a regular old toothbrush (colgate 360)... Probably what makes matters the worst for me is that I typically only floss mouthwash and brush in the mornings, always too lazy at night...

Abysmal Vapor

@Shit Snacks Oil based sounds like it could do the job too. I went OCD towards my dental hygiene ,because of an unrelated event with a sloppy dental job which cause an infection that made a hole in my jaw,and i had to undergo a bone graft . Things in your mouth heal much slower, i had to wear stitches for 3 months which involved immaculate hygiene levels and also no sugar to prevent bacteria growth.Good oral hygiene is how i cope with the PTSD of that event ,it gives me false security and hope that i will have to visit my dentist less frequently :D..
I got carried away with personal stuff,haha.. I recommend to anyone that can cope with a little buzzing to get an ultrasonic toothbrush,i have one of the phillips brand and it will never go to my old toothbrush :)). I even use the old heads to clean my vape screens,all it takes is some hot water or a drop of alcohol :).
Forgot to add i clean my SS grinder with it and alcohol of course.

Last edited:

Zangano Cruel

Not knowing what you were getting at, I should have kept my mouth shut. You are right: we can't know what will get us; I was commenting that yearly exams help doctors sometime find our illnesses before they become physically apparent or kill us.
I’m just kidding with you man.
Sarcasm sarcastic is one of my known virtues since 2012 when I joined this FC forum.
I’ve managed to create a fair enough of haters through 8 years of non paid unbiased 😂😂🤣🤣 “sarcastic opinions” at this forum, while I got myself banned several times too.

Please, do not keep your mouth shut!!!
I can’t keep mine shut, why should you???

Keeping the thread on point, and to try not to derail it anymore,
I’m very interested in oral health, since I’m brushing often daily, but still see gum receding.

It’s not that my gums are diseased, but I’ve noticed my teeth look longer, and gums smaller.
Nevertheless, I can’t stop vaping or consuming cannabis orally, inhaled or not.

At certain point I started spooning coconut AVB oil to coat my mouth, before a long session or an IG livestream, but sometimes (often) I forget.

I read that coconut oil is a natural bacterial killer, is that correct??
Our coconut ABV oil could be a solution??
Another good use for vaping leftovers??

Stay vaped.
Mantente de la mente!!!

p.s: do you still have your EVOs??
I need to contact Seibo, both my Early Bird 2013 IndieGoGo EVO and PhotoRider EVO are blinking christmas lights and no heating 🥺

Alexis

Bud, Vapecritic, reported this very exact same side effect. His dentist told him it was related to vaping.

But heat is certainly a factor. Dry vaping, and smoking pure joints as Bud also does, plus the high daily amount, like 3.5 to 5 grams, also play a big part.

There is possibly a link.

Regarding coconut oil for teeth, gum, oral health- Oil Pulling is where it is at.

Been doing it for years with exactly 6 grams coconut oil in the morning. It works wonders for allergy symptoms, infeftions, is actually an ancient powerful detox method originating from Ayurvedic medicine.

But in recent decades, Oil Pulling has really hit the headlines as an amazing way of keeping excellent all round oral health.

Abysmal Vapor

@Alexis Yeah oil pulling is great for detox, you gotta do it before you wash your teeth. Unrefined sunflower oil works best of all oils i tried,also price is in the bottom compared to the others at least at my geographic location.
The worst thing i can imagine one can do to his teeth is to drink cold drinks after hot vapor hit. Also i wash my glass pieces like i wash my teeth,a habit i adopted during the recovery after dental graft implant.. Bacteria from your WP can easily end up in your mouth,i imagine this is not good combo with paradontosis/bleeding gums and after dental operations/teeth extractions when you gotta make sure you dont get an infection.

Alexis

@Alexis Yeah oil pulling is great for detox, you gotta do it before you wash your teeth. Unrefined sunflower oil works best of all oils i tried,also price is in the bottom compared to the others at least at my geographic location.
The worst thing i can imagine one can do to his teeth is to drink cold drinks after hot vapor hit. Also i wash my glass pieces like i wash my teeth,a habit i adopted during the recovery after dental graft implant.. Bacteria from your WP can easily end up in your mouth,i imagine this is not good combo with paradontosis/bleeding gums and after dental operations/teeth extractions when you gotta make sure you dont get an infection.
Interesting, I did originally use cold pressed sunflower oil for a few years, partly on account of price logic, I also tried seseme but way more expensive.

But coconut oil is as cheap if not cheaper to me here in UK I believe now, than sunflower oil.

And I actually get better results personally with coconut oil.

On paper, it should be the superior choice, having a much greater antimicrobial action.

But sunflower oil, or any cold pressed one, will work more or less as well.

C No Ego

a great regimen is to use Oregano oil mixed with olive oil @ a 70% olive oil to 30% oregano oil blen and add a few drops of it to your toothbrush and toothpaste ETC.... we use baking soda and that oil ... that mouth burn YO

Alexis

a great regimen is to use Oregano oil mixed with olive oil @ a 70% olive oil to 30% oregano oil blen and add a few drops of it to your toothbrush and toothpaste ETC.... we use baking soda and that oil ... that mouth burn YO
Not really an option for me though. I depend on oil of oregano daily at certain points.

However, I had my wisdom teeth removed under general anarsthetic in 2006.

As soon as I came round, my immune system had somehow suddenly sensitized to the oregano oil, and it would trigger sinus inflammation. To this day.

I still need to use it for survival sake, but only at select, regimented points.

Not knocking your suggestion at all.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i found my nutrition has a great impact on my oral health ... when i switched to a lo carb/good fat diet (two years ago) my systemic inflammation went away - this has been verified by blood work recently - this has made my gums/teeth very healthy. i'm 72 and do have receded gums but stable now. vaping for the last 20 years. my body uses ketones, rather than glucose, which also is less stressful/inflammatory on the body.

Dayseed

@Alexis Also i wash my glass pieces like i wash my teeth,a habit i adopted during the recovery after dental graft implant.

Sorry for necro-bumping this thread, but I’m be really interested in hearing how you got on with your implant. I’m due to have an implant fitted in a month and I’m concerned about what impact vaping might have - especially as I’ll also need a particulate graft.

Dayseed,
Reactions: C No Ego

Abysmal Vapor

Hey @DravidianHermit . I just wanna clarify that i did not have a tooth implant,just a graft. I still have my crappy tooth. The sloppy dental job was that the idiot punctured my one of my roots and cement went under it where it cause an infection which manage to eat like 2 cubic cm ot my jaw . Also it was on the upper row of teeth,so during the operation he had to drill out the infected area and my sinus opened . Until my sinus closed it was the worse i couldnt walk without feeling pain in my sinus ,forget running or climbing stairs. Other than that the biggest obstacle was not getting involved in hard labor and also not sneezing or coughing . This could result in losing the graft and ripping the stitches.
I dont know how bad is you situation,but if it is on your lower jaw,it is better,but still until stitches are removed you will have hard time with vaping.
Also you cannot use mouthwash cause it slows down healing for at least a month,also brushing teeth might be not very pleasant so adding vapor resin is not a good idea, i even stopped eating sugar,so i can keep inflammation and secondary infection away.

Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: Dayseed

Dayseed

Thanks for the response @Abysmal Vapor

That sounds really nasty. I hope you received some form of compensation for all the trouble you went through.

My situation isn't that bad. I had a molar removed from my lower jaw and need an implant because I can't eat on that side with only one molar remaining. The only complication is that the I had difficulty with healing after the extraction and the bone hasn't grown back as much as my dentist would have liked. Consequently I'll need a graft when the implant and healing cap are fitted.

My main concern is that the implant might fail and that's the last thing I need after spending a fortune on something I can barely afford. From what I've been reading vaped THC can hinder bone growth, so that's going to increase the risk of the implant not taking.

It sounds like it would probably be best to take a three month break just to be on the safe side.

Dayseed,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I've had so many sinus surgeries and accompanying dental procedures, that just reading your experiences are painful for me....

Best advice I can offer, is restriction is your enemy.
Make vaping as effortless as breathing.

Volcano bags would be my first recommendation, but even I don't have a Volcano anymore... I'd really consider a Tafee if you do not have one. Super cool, no real restriction, and super medicating with each draw (you want a fast medicating, not a session vape).

Abysmal Vapor

I actually did a 6 month break and was surprised how easy it was for me. I went back to it cause i think it is an essential part of the diet and also a fun way to cope with stress .

Top Bottom