Tweak that wobbly china-glass-joints...

Marlox

...because today this piece of china-glass bothered me once too often! I really can't have such wobbly glass-joints, it is like using such a stinky self-made plastic-bottle-bong from the youth time. 😝

So let's think for a moment...
The connections are ground. So why not just regrind better?

Since, at least here in Germany, glass processing tools are very difficult to get, and for one-time use an expensive purchase is certainly not worth it, I went into my shop and to the lathe.
Result:
2 cones with the right angle, and an additional ring for the opposite side made out of whatlaysaround^^ (male-cones are made of steel, ring is aluminum).
Crosscut with the handsaw for the abrasive and ready to go!

Using SiC powder in P240 / P400 and a little water, it actually went very well!
Here are a few pictures. Starting with this:
1.jpg

First i made some lines with an edding (sharpy) to see where we startet. Then add some SiC-powder P240 mixed with water, and let go:

3.jpg

After maybe 2min of grinding (and always adding some drips of water!) :
4.jpg

The same for the outside of the joint using the ring (turning by hand this time) :
6.jpg

And again after some minutes:
7.jpg

I also did the upper 19/26-joint and the one in the mouthpiece. Tomorrow i will make another ring for the male 19/26 joint on the bubbler and regrind that, too.
But here is what it looks like now:
8.jpg

Where the lines are gone, the glass has be reground and offers a matching fit now.
Sure i could grind that longer and deeper, but it already offeres a nice and snug fit and i don't want to grind too much because of stress in the glass.
The tools show no wear, so it seems like they can be made only out of aluminum for such individual applications.

It's fascinating how much of a difference it can make....
The joints can now be plugged and unplugged very well, and that short lift for emptying the glass is finally fun.
This was definitely worth it!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Cool thanks! So it is from the same seller, but it is different from the one I have:

I bought just the main can and mouthpiece with circ perc downstem, and it fits pretty well and even, although the mouthpiece does kind of suck lol my GooRoo is better, but also very different and much more $$$!

Marlox

Yeah... we have some capable glass-companies here in germany, too, and they also do it a LOT better! Smile, Ehle, ROOR, ...
But they want my firstborn, at least the pricing is very similar to that, so that's why i decided to give that china-glass a chance^^

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah... we have some capable glass-companies here in germany, too, and they also do it a LOT better! Smile, Ehle, ROOR, ...
But they want my firstborn, at least the pricing is very similar to that, so that's why i decided to give that china-glass a chance^^

Oh haha yeah those sellers are crazy, GooRoo are actually super reasonably priced, they may outsource their ground glass joints in fact lol but still! There are a lot of American glass workers who charge insane prices, I can't fathom why anyone pays that, I'd rather have several cheaper pieces myself and yeah I guess I do now!

davesmith

Glass Blower
...because today this piece of china-glass bothered me once too often! I really can't have such wobbly glass-joints, it is like using such a stinky self-made plastic-bottle-bong from the youth time. 😝

So let's think for a moment...
The connections are ground. So why not just regrind better?

Since, at least here in Germany, glass processing tools are very difficult to get, and for one-time use an expensive purchase is certainly not worth it, I went into my shop and to the lathe.
Result:
2 cones with the right angle, and an additional ring for the opposite side made out of whatlaysaround^^ (male-cones are made of steel, ring is aluminum).
Crosscut with the handsaw for the abrasive and ready to go!

Using SiC powder in P240 / P400 and a little water, it actually went very well!
Here are a few pictures. Starting with this:
View attachment 14078

First i made some lines with an edding (sharpy) to see where we startet. Then add some SiC-powder P240 mixed with water, and let go:

View attachment 14079

After maybe 2min of grinding (and always adding some drips of water!) :
View attachment 14080

The same for the outside of the joint using the ring (turning by hand this time) :
View attachment 14081

And again after some minutes:
View attachment 14082

I also did the upper 19/26-joint and the one in the mouthpiece. Tomorrow i will make another ring for the male 19/26 joint on the bubbler and regrind that, too.
But here is what it looks like now:
View attachment 14083

Where the lines are gone, the glass has be reground and offers a matching fit now.
Sure i could grind that longer and deeper, but it already offeres a nice and snug fit and i don't want to grind too much because of stress in the glass.
The tools show no wear, so it seems like they can be made only out of aluminum for such individual applications.

It's fascinating how much of a difference it can make....
The joints can now be plugged and unplugged very well, and that short lift for emptying the glass is finally fun.
This was definitely worth it!
I'm a glassblower in the uk and if you'd consider making me some of those tapered joint grinding tools (a 10mm and 18mm male tool) id happily buy or trade them with you! You're right these tools are not easy things to get hold of! Well done

Top Bottom