TOO HUGE PICTURES

CurryLeafTreehugger

I'm not sure why, but since returning here, all pictures posted are ginormous, which makes it FREAKING HARD to read any thread in which they appear. Most of them are larger than will fit in my browser window (note if I am not signed in most of these appear as tiny thumbnails, but once signed in, I'm being glared at by huge pictures of people's otherwise perfectly nice goggies or paraphernalia or whatever.

Is there some way to limit the size of EVERY SINGLE PICTURE in our posts to something reasonable? And if people want or need to see it full size, they can click on it? Doesn't have to be teensy thumbnails, but how about not 4096x2048. Is there a forum wide setting that can fix this? Because, by and large, people aren't doing it, they just let it ALL hang out.

CurryLeafTreehugger,
Reactions: Shit Snacks

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
This isn't something that's configurable on a per-user basis in the forum software currently. As you mentioned, visitors who are not logged in will see thumbnail versions of images which were uploaded as attachments. When uploading images as attachments, a member has the option of inserting the image as a thumbnail or full-size. This choice will determine what you see when logged in. We recently imported roughly 1400 attachments from NewFC, and will be enabling the functionality here soon.

Images that are hotlinked from other websites are inserted at full-size unless manually set up with a thumbnail which can be linked to the full-size image.

You may be able to accomplish what you want using browser extensions.

Baron23

This isn't something that's configurable on a per-user basis in the forum software currently. As you mentioned, visitors who are not logged in will see thumbnail versions of images which were uploaded as attachments. When uploading images as attachments, a member has the option of inserting the image as a thumbnail or full-size. This choice will determine what you see when logged in. We recently imported roughly 1400 attachments from NewFC, and will be enabling the functionality here soon.

Images that are hotlinked from other websites are inserted at full-size unless manually set up with a thumbnail which can be linked to the full-size image.

You may be able to accomplish what you want using browser extensions.
How do we upload an image as an attachment vice third party hosting via a link?

I only see the one button to "insert image" and I think that just hot links....no???

Baron23,

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
It gets worse when a lot of people do not realize YOU DO NOT HAVE TO QUOTE ENTIRE POSTS INCLUDING THE IMAGES

Haze Mister,
Reactions: Siebter

CurryLeafTreehugger

It turns out you CAN set the picture size when you insert it but it is non-intuitive - the icon to do it is the "move" icon, the 4-way arrow that means move something absolutely every other time I've ever seen that icon used. It's not something you can set prior to picture insertion, nor do typical BB codes work. You have to actually insert the picture and then CLICK ON THE PHYSICAL PICTURE displayed in the post you are editing, Then it will popup a menu at the bottom of your picture (easy to miss if you don't know to look for it) and then click on the 4-way arrow icon. I set it to 150 which is apparently pixels. That displays it as a thumbnail and if they want to see the entire picture, they can click on the thumbnail.

Frankly I think it ought to DEFAULT to that. But whatever.

And yes, it did take me from whenever I first posted until fairly recently to accidentally stumble across this. And there are people who have been on these forums far longer than I have who did not know how to do this, because it is not typical of any other forum I have ever been on (and I assume atypical for a lot of other folks as well).

CurryLeafTreehugger,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
When I saw this I was afraid it was because of mine, I use imgbb to paste BB code here with photos from my phone that are cropped, but I have no idea how to resize anything lol so sometimes they do look big

Shit Snacks,

CurryLeafTreehugger

When I saw this I was afraid it was because of mine, I use imgbb to paste BB code here with photos from my phone that are cropped, but I have no idea how to resize anything lol so sometimes they do look big
Nope. Totally in response to MY OWN POSTS with giant huge pictures. The "explanation" didn't tell you HOW to change picture size, and its a weird way to boot. I mean seriously. I post asking how to make the pictures smaller, and somebody tells me to do that by changing the size LOL!

CurryLeafTreehugger,
  • Haha
Top Bottom