TinyMight / TM 2

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I gotta go dumpster diving into the meh ones I bought on eBay. [...] Maybe there’ll be a few I can salvage.
In my experience it's more important to provide the groove facing away from the heater with a not too flimsy o ring; if you can do that, it should still work with a thinner one in the bottom ridge without sliding down. The other way around will not work. Good luck!

trevytrev

Happy little clouds
Morning all, sorry I had a busy evening so only just managing to get back on here. So, this is what has happened to me, the screen has come out of the rung and pushed on to the oven, I've tried to prise it out gently but it just moved further in so I have stopped! Any advice?
2JrRL56.jpg
50cWwCs.jpg

trevytrev,

trevytrev

Happy little clouds
I can't really get tweezers to it, I can't get to the side of the screen if that makes sense?
I sorted it! My wife comes to the rescue yet again, she got these out of her sewing kit, thread pickers. I managed to get that tiny hook just underneath it enough to get the screen a bit more vertical, then could pick it out with some small tweezers. I recommend everyone buys one!

Yo3Nnr9.jpg

Vaporware

Edit: Great! You got it as I was rewriting this to not suggest exactly what worked...I was mostly afraid it would damage something and I’d have felt bad for advising it. :(

Original (rewritten before posting) message:

I was going to suggest sticking something long and sharp down the edge and trying to get it into one of the little gaps that appear to be there, but then I realized that you’d probably get it out easiest with something sticky.

Not sure what you have available, but put a little bit of it on the end of a pen or whatever and lightly touch the screen until you can get it to come up. Just try to make sure it’s non-toxic and still wash the screen and anything else the sticky part touches before using it again.

At least that’s what I’d probably do at this point, for fear of damaging the heater with other tools.

trevytrev

Happy little clouds
Edit: Great! You got it as I was rewriting this to not suggest exactly what worked...I was mostly afraid it would damage something and I’d have felt bad for advising it. :(

Original (rewritten before posting) message:

I was going to suggest sticking something long and sharp down the edge and trying to get it into one of the little gaps that appear to be there, but then I realized that you’d probably get it out easiest with something sticky.

Not sure what you have available, but put a little bit of it on the end of a pen or whatever and lightly touch the screen until you can get it to come up. Just try to make sure it’s non-toxic and still wash the screen and anything else the sticky part touches before using it again.

At least that’s what I’d probably do at this point, for fear of damaging the heater with other tools.
Yeah, I was worried about damaging it, but fingers crossed seems to be OK, I haven't tried to use it yet as it's too early for me to have a blast plus I figured whilst it was apart, I may as well clean it. But the unit turns on and was getting warm in session mode just standing idle so I think it's OK!

CremeFraiche1127

When this happens....turn it off and take the battery out. Then put it back in and turn on......see if it resets and gives you full power again.
This sometimes works but it's hit or miss. Usually it will go back to being inconsistent after a couple hits. Pretty frustrating that this is happening only a few months after having it.

CremeFraiche1127,
  • Sad
Reactions: arb

LabPong

This sometimes works but it's hit or miss. Usually it will go back to being inconsistent after a couple hits. Pretty frustrating that this is happening only a few months after having it.

noting this.....I will trying to push mine to do more hits/sessions when this happens to see if I get the same situation. Might take me several days to go through this scenario.....I will report back after I find something out here.

Thanks for your feedback on this problem!

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
Did you take it apart (bottom screw) and clean all the contact points discussed earlier in the thread?

WisePenny,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@ TM owners experiencing the inconsistent behavior described here: how do you guys store your TM? It seems like dust and dirt is the culprit, on the other hand I never had those problems (after almost a year now) – I store my TM in its hemp bag, where it sits most of the time (I mostly use it in the evening only). I suppose others just store it store it on a shelf or stuff.

What I also do is blowing through both compartments when swapping a battery. So I always have this idea in mind that the TM with its rather open layout needs to be kept away from dust. My TM works just as fine as on day one, I never had to take it apart.

Bazinga

One of my TMs will not produce vapor (not enough heat) at all until I set the dial to 7. I then step temp to 10. Although, it's still usable I would like it to work as the other one. The other TM works great on setting 5 and then step temp to 7.

Has a fix for this been discussed?

Bazinga,
  • Sad
Reactions: arb

LabPong

@ TM owners experiencing the inconsistent behavior described here: how do you guys store your TM? It seems like dust and dirt is the culprit, on the other hand I never had those problems (after almost a year now) – I store my TM in its hemp bag, where it sits most of the time (I mostly use it in the evening only). I suppose others just store it store it on a shelf or stuff.

What I also do is blowing through both compartments when swapping a battery. So I always have this idea in mind that the TM with its rather open layout needs to be kept away from dust. My TM works just as fine as on day one, I never had to take it apart.

I can guarentee it is not a problem of dust/debris getting into anything. It is an electrical issue of sorts....I still think it could be with software/sensors.

dzoinp

Accessory Maker
I can guarentee it is not a problem of dust/debris getting into anything. It is an electrical issue of sorts....
Agree
I never cleaned the contacts on the plates. I just clean the battery cover and the respective threads, both, on the top cover as well.

I think that the bad contacts on the plates in several units may have to do with insufficient tightening of the main screw.:myday:

In my Tm (the most used, the other is kept in reserve) the main screw was not sufficiently tight and it was even possible to move the plates slightly. After having tightened it, the plates do not move and it was never necessary to clean these contacts.

SquirrelMaster

Agree
I never cleaned the contacts on the plates. I just clean the battery cover and the respective threads, both, on the top cover as well.

I think that the bad contacts on the plates in several units may have to do with insufficient tightening of the main screw.:myday:

In my Tm (the most used, the other is kept in reserve) the main screw was not sufficiently tight and it was even possible to move the plates slightly. After having tightened it, the plates do not move and it was never necessary to clean these contacts.
For anyone having lower performance the spots to check seem to be the battery latch, the metal strip that makes contact with the top metal cap (through the stem hole), the three tabs on the board that make contact with the bottom metal cap and the screw tightness. Those seem to be the spots that raise the electrical resistance of the device and lower power output so they're worth checking if you know you have a good sealed air path.

I see where you're going @Siebter that dust or debris could get between contact points but a device would have to be stored in very harsh conditions to cause that so I don't think that's the culprit. I do wonder if the environment could be factor though for devices stored in high humidity. That would speed up oxidization which by itself might not be enough to do any harm but if that same device wasn't assembled as snug as others could those same areas be worse off allowing oxygen to get between the contact points?

If I had any issues I would order some medical grade anti oxidization paste that's rated for a decent temperature and put some at each of those areas and see what happens. If anyone has to take their units apart and clean more than once I think this would be a good route. That's after bending the metal strip so it makes good contact.

I keep meaning to measure my Tinymight body height (just the wood) as well to compare to problematic units. With the slightly varying heights that could be affecting electrical continuity. My device has been problem free like many others so I think that would make it a good benchmark candidate.

I just ripped a bowl on temp 5 and I love how I still find myself saying "OOHHHHH SHIIIIITTTTT!!!!!!" as I take a lung buster of a hit. Season 2 Episode 1 of The Mandalorian was fucking epic after that session!

LabPong

Good points there SquirrelMaster.....

I live in MI. so the humidity in my home the past several summer months was averaging 55-66% RH. Winter is averaging about 25-35%.

The unit I am having the issues with it the oldest one I have...from the start of the year. I do have some really great contact sprays that are awesome...but not safe. I shall look for something food grade now.

dzoinp

Accessory Maker
With the slightly varying heights that could be affecting electrical continuity
I Don't think so...
Regardless of the height of the wood, the lower contacts on the board are made directly on the lower plate and there are several, however in the contact of the strip on the upper plate, there may be irregularities in the wood that cause loss of continuity.
So in some cases already described here, folding the strip has resolved.
The height of the wood does not affect the continuity of the circuit, but the main screw must be tightly....my opinion

dzoinp,
Reactions: Siebter

SquirrelMaster

@SquirrelMaster I just checked my notes, mine measures at an even 65mm, no issues to report performance has been consistent.
Hopefully, we can get more data points to see if there Is any correlation of note.

I had to laugh because I posted about measuring then immediately used the device and forgot to measure, but your post reminded me so I went and grabbed my unit and disassembled it only to pass out on the couch :zzz:.

Long story short My Tinymight is 63.73mm long.

Good points there SquirrelMaster.....

I live in MI. so the humidity in my home the past several summer months was averaging 55-66% RH. Winter is averaging about 25-35%.

The unit I am having the issues with it the oldest one I have...from the start of the year. I do have some really great contact sprays that are awesome...but not safe. I shall look for something food grade now.

My screw was super tight which makes me think the RH of my area was lower when I last opened it and so the wood must have expanded slightly since. One thing is for sure, there was excellent contact and zero signs of oxidation at any contact point minus the battery latch (which I clean nearly everytime I change a battery with a push and spin on some paper or paper towel.

I Don't think so...
Regardless of the height of the wood, the lower contacts on the board are made directly on the lower plate and there are several, however in the contact of the strip on the upper plate, there may be irregularities in the wood that cause loss of continuity.
So in some cases already described here, folding the strip has resolved.
The height of the wood does not affect the continuity of the circuit, but the main screw must be tightly....my opinion

I thought I remember one person, not even on FC, that cleaned those 3 points on the board and had better output but after just pulling my device apart again I agree that if the screw is relatively tight that those points make good contact independent of wood height.

The wood weight would affect the continuity at the top though which you said but then you contradicted yourself which in guessing is a typo.

My strip was visibly dented so when I initially looked it over and I thought there might be paste but it was spotless. It's tough to see in the picture so I circled the area.

Top Bottom