Tincture: dry avb after water cure?

Megaton

Hi all!

Wondering if it is necessary to oven dry my avb after water curing pre- alcohol tincure? Or can i just squeeze as much water out as possible and then let the rest evaporate off while i am reducing the tincture down at the end?

Megaton,
Reactions: Kozzmozz

Doktor Dub

You will get much better answers from the experts here but:

You should decarb before making a tincture so oven is a good idea even without water curing (look up right temp & time)

alcohol evaporates much faster then water so you should get the water out first (and water contains just the nasty stuff, which is the argument for a water cure in the first place...)

:2c:

Megaton

Im thinking as im doing this with avb it is already decarbed, but you raise a point with the time it will take to evaporate the water off!

Megaton,

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Haha it cant hurt, im just being lazy and trying to cut a step out! :rofl:
I find I can skip drying water cured ABV before alcohol tincture. I water cure until the water is clear, plus one day. That means what I wanted gone is gone, and no need to oven dry . I oven dry when I'm going to store washed ABV for later use and want to prevent mold. Drying ABV with dirty water still in it won't remove what you want. The water will evaporate, but the rest won't . It would be great if it did, then we could just decarb and you wouldn't have to wash it. If you wash until clear, you can skip this step. The last thing to consider is you don't have to wash the ABV to use in tincture, and alcohol tincture is fine. Using it washed doesn't make it less fine. Washing it at this point removes smell and flavor more than "nasty stuff", which hopefully isn't much because you already vaped that stuff.
Your Already Been Vaped done Already Been Decarbed, so you can skip that too, unless you leave a lot if green.
This works for me. The ABV isn't entirely flavorless, but when I wash my ABV and use in cooking, baking, tintures and elixers , I barely notice the flavor. Nice to have it as an option.

Megaton

Thank you @Madri-Gal lots of food for thought there. So you wouldnt tend to water cure for a tincture? As i cant imagine it will taste nice either way, so i am considering skipping the step entirely.

Also thinking i might just start off with a 30ml - ish run as its my first time.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I make tincture using watercured ABV, and I make it using not watercured. I only watercure if I am wanting to blend with something else, such as make a cocktail using some tincture as an ingredient . For me personally, I find tincture whether it be from bud, trim, ABV or washed ABV to be unpleasant tasting because I find the alcohol unpleasant tasting. I still happily make and use it by either adding it to something else, but most usually by putting a few drops under my tongue. I leave it a few seconds, and don't drop my tongue. The tincture absorbs and I avoid most of the flavor. It also works quickly this way.
For me, it's no more difficult to dump ABV in a jar than the trash. It's easy to pour alcohol over the top, and put in the freezer or cabinet. I shake when I am getting ingredients to cook with. It can sit there happily for weeks until I can strain it. I use a mesh coffee filter and strain into a jar or measuring cup, then either pop on a lid, or transfer to dropper bottles and label if I want it to look cute. This doesn't take long .
So save, cover, freezer, shake, wait, strain, jar, label, done.
I live in California, so Everclear and other high proof alcohol isn't available, and it works fine with regular vodka, or whatever spirit I choose. If my tincture isn't strong enough, I will blend with a stronger batch of tincture or elixer, or I just add more ABV, put it back in the freezer, and wait again.

Last edited:

Megaton

Hmm you have me wondering now if it would be worth me doing it in two washes, half my avb in each so that i can use half the alcohol (im usimg spirytus, a 95% vodka) so that its as strong as possible. Im similar to you in that i want as little alcohol as possible, but as much herb!

Megaton

@ubardog i am! i got it from thedrinkshop.com but thats just because i googled it and they had the best price/ were in stock at the time. Pretty pricey at £30 for half a litre, but its worth it to see if it's worth it as it were.

Megaton,

sickmanfraud

If you want to make a tincture out of water cured AVB you should not add extra water to the tincture.

When making an AVB tincture one of the later steps is reduction where you make the tincture strong enough for medical usage.

If there is more moisture in the mix the tincture could separate during the reduction stage (ethanol boils at about 160-170 F) water at 212 F.

To save a tincture that has reduced and separated you need to carefully reduce the tincture to cannabis oil and then add back some fresh ethanol.

Making a tincture using the freezer method can be accomplished in a short time (24 hrs in the freezer for ethanol and AVB) combine shake 5-15 minutes 2 times strain, add some fresh ethanol to the damp AVB shake again and then strain.

If anyone wants help with making an ethanol tincture PM me and I will help. For informational purposes, I have been an mmj patient for almost 6 years and I make 2-4 batches of tincture per month.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
If you want to make a tincture out of water cured AVB you should not add extra water to the tincture.

When making an AVB tincture one of the later steps is reduction where you make the tincture strong enough for medical usage.

If there is more moisture in the mix the tincture could separate during the reduction stage (ethanol boils at about 160-170 F) water at 212 F.

To save a tincture that has reduced and separated you need to carefully reduce the tincture to cannabis oil and then add back some fresh ethanol.

Making a tincture using the freezer method can be accomplished in a short time (24 hrs in the freezer for ethanol and AVB) combine shake 5-15 minutes 2 times strain, add some fresh ethanol to the damp AVB shake again and then strain.

If anyone wants help with making an ethanol tincture PM me and I will help. For informational purposes, I have been an mmj patient for almost 6 years and I make 2-4 batches of tincture per month.
Great information and a generous offer! Doesn't get much better than that. I myself, would love to improve my tinctures.

Madri-Gal,
Reactions: Megaton

Megaton

Oh wow, thank you @sickmanfraud ! I will definitely be taking you up on your offer!

So out of curiosity- are you generally making your tincture from avb or from fresh? And do you bother water curing at all?

sickmanfraud

I usually make my tinctures from my allocation (currently 70 grams a month).

I save vaped bud and make an AVB tincture about once a year or so.

I also save the leftovers from tincture making and recover the little left in them to use in a topical pain cream.

I have read many articles on water curing, but I have never done it. The most likely use would be in the water curing my AVB. If I do that I need to get the excess water out before making the tincture or waste large amounts of ethanol. The price of ethanol and the fact that I really filter my tinctures and I decided against it.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I washed and water cured some bud that I'm now vaping. I'm wondering if the ABV will taste cleaner, and how would it be if I washed the ABV? And, bonus question, which would taste cleaner, washed and Vaped bud, or washed ABV?
I think I'm high.

Madri-Gal,
Reactions: Megaton

aoaiwof

Think I will try making a tincture soon. I have a bunch of ABV saved up so I'm thinking water cure, oven dry, add to rum, room temp extraction (will freezing help that much?) for 2 weeks, then try to evap to 50% volume to get to medicinal-grade.

Megaton

I have done a tiny 30ml run as a first test.

I added my stem cleaning Spirytus to cover some (not water cured) abv. It has been sitting in a dark cupboard for almost a week now, soon i will drain off and filter, and hopefully reduce by 50%.

I imagine the taste will be pretty heinous purely due to the 95% vodka it is primarily made of, but the plan is to see if the taste is too awful so i can decide if water curing may be beneficial.

Very much excited to see how my first use of avb goes! I have a jar of the stuff waiting to be made useful!

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
Well... question for me is, is it even worth the trouble, when the AVB used is already so friggin' dead from vaping, that it's just dark brown dust more or les? Can't really imagine much of an active principle left there.

aoaiwof

Well... question for me is, is it even worth the trouble, when the AVB used is already so friggin' dead from vaping, that it's just dark brown dust more or les? Can't really imagine much of an active principle left there.
I have only had success eating ABV once, which was a while ago and I don't know how much I used. More recently (last couple months) I tried eating several grams of ABV with no effect, so either I have a weird digestion or my tolerance is too high. I am hoping a sublingual tincture will be more effective.

Megaton

My hope is that i will be able to gather the little that is left in the tincture so i can concentrate it as it were.

If i manage to produce nothing more than a cbd tincture then i will be happy enough with that!

hans solo

Left coast Canada
I have 4 ounces of lightly vaped abv that I am planing to turn into a tincture over the holidays.
My last 2 ounce batch yielded 20 ml so with full evaporation my target will be 30ml.
Due to limited access my alcohol of choice is 70% absinthe.
I wash 7 days then dry.

Top Bottom