Thoughts of combining Silicon IC and Functional glass...

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
FC’er’s I had a thought... Not many I know, but every once in a while I have one.

So they put minerals and fancy rocks in Millie and marbles to add style to water pipes and functional glass.

What about a IC die - a Silicon chip before it has been packaged... Its made out of silicon, same as glass. Has a lot of detail and I find interesting. I have large prints in my office of some of the IC’s I have done...

Well, I have some wafters from several of my pass projects. Here is one named VChip. I think there are several patents on it from our team. One of the first IC’s that used silicon for precise timing. When this was done it was mostly bipolar in the early 90’s. 1.6u technology pretty old because main stream tday is 20 times smaller in feature size...

Here is a shot of the wafer:
VChip_wafer-1.jpg

add a close up. Each die is about 1/4” square...
VChip_wafer-2.jpg

I am going to send a piece of this wafer to a blower who wants to do a custom for me. Thought it would make it unique :)

Any thoughts from other members out there. Do you think this makes sense?

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Very cool idea! Thanks for sharing the pics and story, it's incredible to think how far technology has come, with Moore's law still holding up. That will make a truly unique custom. I hope it works. :)

vtac,
Reactions: SD_haze

PhotoRider

Well, I am sending him about 1/3rd of the wafer so maybe he will have some more after mine.... I am just going to give them to him to use for whatever. Figure some electrical/glass nerds such as myself would love them... Maybe just a pendent, dish, dabber etc. Glad to see I am not alone here.

Just don’t want to steer the blower away from their art though. Just asuggestion and let them add their touch :)

PhotoRider,
Reactions: Hoops

JoeKickass

I originally had colie try to add an opal to my recycler as well as the color but the opal or the marble cracked when he was making it, so I wonder how a thin piece of silicon would survive the stress of cooling...

But that said I love the idea, I had a bunch of EPROM's and I bought a wafer because in my mind it was like 1000's of eproms in one piece lol, the EPROM's are pretty but there are some really nice wafer's out there: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicon-Waf...076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecad6b814
Wafer.jpg

photobooth

The important thing is that the piece you are trying to add is the same COE (coefficient of expansion) as borosilicate glass. This depends on the specific mix of elements forming the glass. If the COEs do not match, there will be too much internal tension between the two types of glass and cause it to crack.

photobooth,

PhotoRider

Sweet, I believe it can be done. The nice thing for me its my design :)

Even though any would be nice... That ebay 8” wafer is a lot newer in fact. Mine is 5”, a few generations back...

Top Bottom