The OG DV VC CCD Inverter by TommyDee

TommyDee

Vaporitor

The OG DV VC CCD Inverter
by
TommyDee
20201010_210645.jpg

I am pleased to present the design elements behind the DVCI, the DynaVap VapCap CCD Inverter. Ever since I received my first DynaVap back in 2019, I dreaded the removal of the CCD. Having no spare and being told 'it's easy' only to finding that it just comes out a mangled mess after the CCD over-centered and bound up in the bore. Salvaged it and avoided that task for quite some time. Well, at the time, little did I know there was a better way. A better way in many ways. Interested? Read on...

What you are looking at in the image is my collection of DynaVap VapCap Inspired Lego; D'VIL for short. My collection happens to take root, literally 20 feet from where I type this, from a pair of Flowering Quince shrubs. Although limited in girth, these ancient blooms are blessed with a super tight grain and a highly stable form when machined. Turns out there is a harvest season for FQ so obviously the bigger pieces are limited as they are well over 30 years old. I love working this species and it just keeps on giving. Nature is a blessing when we discover her secrets.

Late last year I was working with the FQ for medicinal purposes. My wife has terrible arthritis. Somehow, when the FQ is running resins in earnest after the fall rains, the saps and resins exposed when removing the bark reduces the pain in her joints significantly. I end up with a few extra pieces of FQ neatly turned and waiting for a new purpose. I think I found a new life for an old friend.

The CCD Inverter, or CI for short, is an invention I came up with to turn the CCD in the VapCap tip 'upside down'. "Why would you do that?" one may ask. Seriously, because I could! And because it made sense when I took a hard look at the bottom of the tip where the CCD was seated. There is a serious amount of draw restriction in the cap where the CCD rests on a lip. Pull the cap sometime when drawing - fresh air, right? If not, inverting your CCD could make sure the tip draws easily. Have a look at how much more of the CCD allows vape to pass through when not resting on the bottom in its default concave orientation.

And this is to clarify - a CCD that sits flat already or for people already using intermediate positions successfully in their Ti tips, this is not for you. This is for the M-series SS tip user who want an easier way to insert and remove their CCDs. I'm not saying the CI won't work on ti tips, I'm saying the draw restriction advantage is not there. However, read on, there are more advantages - like no more over-centering your CCDs!

WIN_20201009_18_51_56_Pro.jpg

I have learned there are a few other tricks this simple little device can accomplish - that '20-M depth setting? Easy! In the opening image, there is a "8dot5" short-cut CCD installer. This shortening allows setting the CCD sub-full depth in any tip absolutely maximizing the draw resistance advantage from any tip. Maybe a "6dot0" is the right setting for your '20-M or even the Ti tip? I don't know your preferred depth setting for your CCD but a small collar could make for a few various settings. "8dot5" works on the '18 and '19 tip as well.

No More Overvcentering the CCD!
That's right. One of the HUGE advantages of this little gadget is to put the Ti CCD in without stressing the CCD. Furthermore, you can remove your CCD without the stress of over-centering the CCD which normally 'shrinks' Ti CCDs. The surface of the tool allows you to push the CCD and make it conical but not fully deform it. Using a pointy stick lets you slide the tip -over- the CCD. Releasing the pointy stick fixes the CCD in the current position. As to removal, use the same pointy stick, through the tip, and press on the CCD with the stick. The tip will be free of the CCD and can be pushed up on the stick freeing the CCD. Basically, all the CCD drama I experienced day 2 are now a distant memory. Of course, you can just shove it out like normal. It won't fight you like it use to, but it will still turn sideways on you unless you use the condenser in the resin-saturated tip... I prefer a shish kabob skewers for all my DV maintenance. Works great as a pointy device here too. I also have my everyday poker in the image. Works a treat as well.

WIN_20201009_18_48_00_Pro.jpg

Alright guys. I've been talking about this for some time. I thought it needed its own reference. I have an idea to get some of these into peoples' hands. Hang tight until I get some more built.

And mods, this is not a launch or anything. This is a discussion. I think knowing this is helpful and I think it should be shared with those having a hard time with their devices.

Last edited:

kenske

Great post! This will def help me address some of my own issues pertaining to dv screens/ screen options. I love the dv screens, but it just gets damaged too easily and its too costly to replace on a regular basis. There is no way to clean or unclog the bowl&screen without removing it 1st. But every time you remove, you can easily damage or warp the screen. Standard screens resized works, but can easily fallout when you empty and reload the bowl.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I no longer stress over having to pull a CCD @kenske . Not over-centering these thing makes a huge difference. I wonder if this could keep Ti CCD's from shrinkingas well. The only Ti CCD I had came with the Ti tip and on removing it, it shrank a lot. Went from concave in the bottom to dead flat.

kenske

I no longer stress over having to pull a CCD @kenske . Not over-centering these thing makes a huge difference. I wonder if this could keep Ti CCD's from shrinkingas well. The only Ti CCD I had came with the Ti tip and on removing it, it shrank a lot. Went from concave in the bottom to dead flat.
In the past, I have installed the screen with the convex side facing the cap end of the tip (just like you have it) . I liked how well it worked, but it was difficult for me to install the ccd this way all the time. Your DVCI looks like will be a great help , makes the task a lot more achievable and less of a chore. But I think I will explore DDave's screens option next. The cost is not much different, but maybe it is more durable and should be easier to work with on a regular basis than the ccd.

Even if your DVCI does not help with shrinkage, I think it will help with damages during maintenance/cleaning. I haven't experienced much shrinkage with the ti CCDs yet. Maybe its bc i never torch it and it never last long enough to shrink on me.

kenske,
Reactions: Xclerk

kendon

So if I want to recreate this as a 3d printable part, what radius should I use for the inverted dome?

kendon,
Reactions: TommyDee

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I believe the “RELOAD” has a similar convex CCD tool:

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: cosimo
Top Bottom