The leaf tips on nugs - do they need trimming for vaping?

spacegoat

So when I used to smoke / combust spliffs / joints I would make sure that the rug / bud in question would be trimmed in a certain way before i smoked it.
One of the things I would do along with removing sticks / stalks is trim / pick off sugar leaves - especially those with leaf tips because they would make some harsh smoking...

Does anyone know if this is different for vaping? Or are the principles the same? I use obsidian by Magma.

Also, sometimes I see dark green leafy bits of my ABV.

Cheers.

spacegoat,

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
I wouldn't worry about picking out leaves, usually I just pull out big stems although my Flower Mill grinder does a pretty good job of keeping big stems out of the herb chamber.

GoldenBud

It's interesting to taste the same strain, same phenotype, same taste, high, but one time when the trim sux it just take you less higher. that's what i felt..if it comes instead of buds, on the scale, just gimme the buds... they're so stronger lol. although the less trimmed one had stronger taste, the high was lower.

**also if the trim is done by a machine or by hand, it matters. trimmer will hurt some of the trichomes heads, a macro photograph shoot can reveal it... by hand it preserves the trichomes heads much better.

Last edited:
GoldenBud,

GoldenBud

I don't mind well trimmed and cured bud, but I also don't mind less well trimmed but equally well cured buds. I guess it's about individual standards, and I have very low and lazy standards.
it all depends how much you pay for a gr, if it's like up to 10$ for a 1gr it really doesn't matter too much yeah

GoldenBud,

Farid

If you're not paying for it, the trim really doesn't matter.

The process of trimming knocks off a lot of trichs, even when done in the most delicate manner. The ripest trichs don't need much agitation at all to fall from the flower.

Keeping the leaves on there serves a couple purposes. It protects the sticky buds from pressing up against the jar, and it acts like an airbag, stopping trichs from falling off if the jar is shaken, and the buds bounce around.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but treating bud like it's a delicate piece of glass really does stop all those trichs from falling off in the jar, where they're very difficult to collect.

ginolicious

Smalls leaves usually have trichomes left on them and will assist in the getting high process. No need to pick off the sugar leaves

ginolicious,
Reactions: LesPlenty

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I know this sounds ridiculous, but treating bud like it's a delicate piece of glass really does stop all those trichs from falling off in the jar, where they're very difficult to collect.
I have a mason jar of iso that I keep to rinse out my herb jars when 'empty', it now a dark yellow color and getting close to needing a purge to see what has been collected over the last couple of years.
I try to catch most of the smaller sugar leaves during harvest to bubble wash. If I can see a leaf stem it gets snipped and also some tips if they stick out too far and will only get 'misplaced' in my drying/curing process...the rest gets vaped...sugar leaves are trichome holders and it would be a waste to remove them from your buds.

LesPlenty,
Reactions: howie105
Top Bottom