The Illusive Materials Thread

Planck

believes in Dog
View attachment 15333

Anyone know if another ceramic would be appropriate as a tube in a IH ?
halocarbon vapor - Halocarbon compounds are chemicals in which one or more carbon atoms are linked by covalent bonds with one or more halogen atoms (fluorine, chlorine, bromine or iodine - group 17) resulting in the formation of organofluorine compounds, organochlorine compounds, organobromine compounds, and organoiodine compounds.Chlorine halocarbons are the most common and are called organochlorides. (wiki) aka not weed vapor.

But why? Glass is cheap safe and well suited to the purpose.

Concerned Mother

@florduh I believe that the oxide is a health risk to inhale as well, and many of us do inhale deep breaths from our vaporizers all day long each and every day for years and years.

Concerned Mother,

florduh

@florduh I believe that the oxide is a health risk to inhale as well, and many of us do inhale deep breaths from our vaporizers all day long each and every day for years and years.

Maybe. But even so, to get to the levels they're talking about in studies of industrial workers, you'd have to grind up your ceramic oven and huff it multiple times per day. These aren't comparable situations.

florduh,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Alumina doesn't sluff off oxides. All the oxides are fused into a bulk ceramic at well over 1,200C. Ceramic knives are made from alumina.

TommyDee,

gostavs

Accessory Maker
Alright! Thank you for informative answers. I tried a glass tube from an e-tank but it broke after a while, since then I have ran my IH without a tube. Not sure if I’m fooling my self but it feels like it got hotter without a glass tube. The glass isn’t stealing heat or something. I also think white ceramic looks nice!

gostavs,
Reactions: TommyDee

Farid

I've got a friend who has serious hypochondria about materials. It's not always logical either. For example he didn't want to get an Aeropress coffee maker because it's plastic, yet will drink from a plastic water bottle.

I think the stress he gets thinking about these things is probably more damaging to his health than the actual materials in question.

I manage a manufacturing/construction environment, and so some of this hair splitting seems silly to me. I know I'm exposed to a lot of potentially harmful substances, but if I were to think about it all the time it would only be worse for me.

In the end it's a personal decision about how much risk you want to expose yourself to. If you're still bothered I'd consider trying other administration methods. After all, the material you're vaping can easily contain harmful chemicals, even if you grow it yourself, and have a vaporizer which you feel is safe.

florduh

After all, the material you're vaping can easily contain harmful chemicals, even if you grow it yourself, and have a vaporizer which you feel is safe.

There was a recent news story about using cannabis to clean up toxic soil because it is so good at absorbing heavy metals. Didn't really love seeing that as a cannabis consumer.

I think the stress he gets thinking about these things is probably more damaging to his health than the actual materials in question.

Yes! Thank you. Whenever I see anguish filled posts about materials safety, I can't help but think the poster is taking more years off their life stressing over this than any plastic or metal in their vaporizer ever could.

Farid

I'm reminded of studies which showed places like Japan, Italy, and Spain having high life expectancies despite also having high smoking/drinking rates. One theory was that a lower stress lifestyle was a contributing factor to this strange phenomenon.

Farid,
Reactions: florduh

florduh

I'm reminded of studies which showed places like Japan, Italy, and Spain having high life expectancies despite also having high smoking/drinking rates. One theory was that a lower stress lifestyle was a contributing factor to this strange phenomenon.

For sure. Also, everyone knows that cannabis smokers don't really get cancer the way tobacco smokers often do. Because some component in cannabis seems to protect against the well known negative effects of smoking. Why wouldn't those components help protect consumers from the potential negative effects of vaping?

I fully support demanding high quality, reasonably safe materials in vaporizers. Just don't turn what's supposed to be a stress relieving hobby into a stress generator.

florduh,

gostavs

Accessory Maker
No stress here, I’m only wondering. It’s not like I’m climbing up the walls about these things.

What temperatures is safe for brass? I’m planning a stem that would look really nice with brass endings. Not sure what temps are around the “base” of the tip going in to the stem though..

gostavs,

El Rawn Hubbard

Does anyone know much about sterling silver?

If I understand correctly :hmm: it seems like the silver itself is generally considered safe, but there might be issues related to the copper and oxides formed?

El Rawn Hubbard,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I don't much like most of the possible constituent elements in order to come up with the alloy called Sterling Silver. Pure silver is not the most pleasant of tastes when it oxides.

TommyDee,
Reactions: Planck
Top Bottom