The Angus vs Tetra X / P80.

breiter_fighter

I am very interested in this comparison as well. Is there anybody who owns all of them and willing to write a little review?

breiter_fighter,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I consider the Tetra X / P80 the best tasting portable out there.

How does the Angus compare from a taste perspective?

I'm not sure I agree that my Tetra are the best tasting for me out of my collection and experience, however definitely preferring it to Angus so far (being mass produced Chinese vape it seems to need more breaking in whereas Tetra is pretty good to go Swiss artisan)

I am very interested in this comparison as well. Is there anybody who owns all of them and willing to write a little review?

I don't have the X, but I have a few TP80, only just got Angus so it is too soon, though I feel like they are not too much alike actually at all?

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
I'm not sure I agree that my Tetra are the best tasting for me out of my collection and experience, however definitely preferring it to Angus so far (being mass produced Chinese vape it seems to need more breaking in whereas Tetra is pretty good to go Swiss artisan)

I don't have the X, but I have a few TP80, only just got Angus so it is too soon, though I feel like they are not too much alike actually at all?
Thanks @Shit Snacks

What would you say has better flavour than a tetra?

oddjobold,

Shit Snacks

Thanks @Shit Snacks

What would you say has better flavour than a tetra?

It depends, so many variables, but I prefer my tinymight/2 for flavor chasing milking low temps dry... Though I also felt like I get better flavor from Milaanas as well, potentially SplinterZ, and of course Cloud Connoisseur Halo, sometimes Atlas, and Heat Islands can be pretty capable too? Not to mention Piro, can be extremely pure, like a Brick without any wood pathways... I'm not sure I would necessarily say Tetra taste worse than all of these all the time, I just do not think it tastes better per se, depends on so many factors as I alluded to above...? And to the topic of the thread, I don't think the Angus comes close at least factory brand new fully cleaned and burned off and used a bit still, it is more like xmax v3pro xlux roffu fury edge etc type flavor to me so far...

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
It depends, so many variables, but I prefer my tinymight/2 for flavor chasing milking low temps dry... Though I also felt like I get better flavor from Milaanas as well, potentially SplinterZ, and of course Cloud Connoisseur Halo, sometimes Atlas, and Heat Islands can be pretty capable too? Not to mention Piro, can be extremely pure, like a Brick without any wood pathways... I'm not sure I would necessarily say Tetra taste worse than all of these all the time, I just do not think it tastes better per se, depends on so many factors as I alluded to above...? And to the topic of the thread, I don't think the Angus comes close at least factory brand new fully cleaned and burned off and used a bit still, it is more like xmax v3pro xlux roffu fury edge etc
type flavor to me so far...

Thanks again. I think this thread has saved me £200.

GoldenBud

when a comparison like this happens, for portables, people usually compare only the low temps right? because outdoors you won't use 225C+?
I wonder how Tetra v Angus on the high temps, but 0.15gr capacity, not full bowl of Angus/Joint load

GoldenBud,
Reactions: Tweakz

Shit Snacks

Can't speak to Tetra specifically but @Shit Snacks experience is based on what, a week with the Angus? And differs from most impressions of Angus in the general thread. Not sure why that is, and not to denigrate that experience (I too pay close attention to SS impressions). But worth noting.

Could be a defective unit possibly, and also certainly seems I simply do not like session style vapes (apparently especially with such large powerful heater), but aside from that I really don't think it should be so surprising that this mass produced device can't hold a candle to the artisan stuff for flavorful vapor quality... I've said I need to take more time with it, but if other people can say how great it tastes right away, I should be able to say how bad it tastes right away, for me, without too much skepticism, I would hope lol

GoldenBud

I can make TP80 looks like the half bowl or even bull bowl of Angus, with just 0.1gr~
@Shit Snacks check out top shelf weed, 500F, Improvaper tip....for fast drawers.... with wooden stem ABV.... after 4 months, the Tetra definately HAS LANDED!
abv:
abv500f.jpg

Last edited:

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
Can't speak to Tetra specifically but @Shit Snacks experience is based on what, a week with the Angus? And differs from most impressions of Angus in the general thread. Not sure why that is, and not to denigrate that experience (I too pay close attention to SS impressions). But worth noting.
a week is more than enough to comment on taste and, as you imply in your post, @Shit Snacks is not the only one reporting angus taste being under expectations.

FWIW i have and use an apollo 2 (halogen powered), it is not 100% convection (bulb heats everything is reached by its light) but there is never been a hint of off flavor

hope off flavours fade out but more so i hope yll find out why they are (at least on few units) and how get rid of them
and if that happens we (you too) can say big “thank you” to @Shit Snacks and friends

Texus

a week is more than enough to comment on taste and, as you imply in your post, @Shit Snacks is not the only one reporting angus taste being under expectations.

FWIW i have and use an apollo 2 (halogen powered), it is not 100% convection (bulb heats everything is reached by its light) but there is never been a hint of off flavor

hope off flavours fade out but more so i hope yll find out why they are (at least on few units) and how get rid of them
and if that happens we (you too) can say big “thank you” to @Shit Snacks and friends
Did not mean to imply SS is alone in this impression. I would have said "only one" in that case. But if you tally impressions up, "most" feels accurate.

And to be clear, no disrespect intended to SS. He's a killer contributor here, whose opinion probably carries more weight for me than about anyone else on FC I can think of. But to base a decision on a single, minority opinion (esp of a new owner, in this case one who has pointed out elsewhere that some of these off tastes he's reporting often go away with time) is not something I'd recommend. And that was the intent behind my post above.

Not owning a Tetra, I'll just back out now.

And BTW zero off flavor for me at any point in my month+ of ownership. Weigh my experience vs others as you will.

Shit Snacks

Thank you both, just wanted to share this quote from you in another thread Tex, just so anyone can see between us our frames of references a bit more here for posterity:
These are always fun. In no particular order:
  1. Anvil (efficient concentrated hits; only true heavy hitter portable IME)
  2. Herborizer (best flavor)
  3. B2 (heaviest hitter)
  4. Collyland OAB (killer airflow)
  5. Vapman (beautiful light hits full of flavor, can't go hard all the time)
Honorable mentions:
CC Halo (hit & flavor profile covered by Herbo)
YLL Angus (hit & flavor profile covered by Herbo; not quite at same level for flavor but not too far off and bonuspoints for price and portability)
Bowle (that cooling!! And tough not to have an on-demand on the list)
Dynavap (profile covered by Anvil if you heat it more lightly)
OWW BSS (also tough not to include a butane powered vape that uses an air intake)

And so I have never used Anvil, Herborizer, or any Flowerpots myself by the way... :tup:

Last edited:

jasp3r

Did not mean to imply SS is alone in this impression. I would have said "only one" in that case. But if you tally impressions up, "most" feels accurate.

And to be clear, no disrespect intended to SS. He's a killer contributor here, whose opinion probably carries more weight for me than about anyone else on FC I can think of. But to base a decision on a single, minority opinion (esp of a new owner, in this case one who has pointed out elsewhere that some of these off tastes he's reporting often go away with time) is not something I'd recommend. And that was the intent behind my post above.

Not owning a Tetra, I'll just back out now.

And BTW zero off flavor for me at any point in my month+ of ownership. Weigh my experience vs others as you will.
Idk if it's just me but a vape's flavor profile is something is pretty clear from the first couple sessions. I also am with Shit Snacks in the regard I don't see where the flavor accolades are coming from. Have tried and all glass connection as well with WPA and just not impressed to the standard you and the rest of the thread are.

This though has crossed my mind and I thought I would bring it up, do you know if there was any significant changes in the pre production units you and the other testers possesed vs the edition we got shipped from vgoodiez?

I just find it hard to believe a group of beta testers said this had killer flavor vs what production unit reviews are saying. And please correct me if I'm wrong, but a vast majoirty of the reviews and discussions of the angus started before any production units landed so its expected that us production members are going to have less reviews than the beta testers thus give an illusion of us being a minority opinion but perhaps we should start segmenting the reviews by pre/post production and see those splits.

Flavor is such a sensitive quality for vapes, I woulnd't be suprise if a tiny change in the production units created a rippling effect, thus why I think this should be brought up

Just a thought!

Edit: Didn't answer thread's question about angus vs tetra x... with both of those in my possesion can confidently say tetra x all day. Tubo x (older gen of tetra x) all day over angus

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Idk if it's just me but a vape's flavor profile is something is pretty clear from the first couple sessions.
Yeah agreed, there can be a break in period but that's more to solidify/finetune what's already there than that it'll alter that profile.

I also am with Shit Snacks in the regard I don't see where the flavor accolades are coming from.

Maybe part of expectations? I have been raving about flavor and I stand by that. But Inwas raving about specifically a session style vape (iirc I mentioned this when i shared my first thoughts). It's the best tasting I've tried even, prefer it over my MV with glass wpa kit no doubt. I think the halogen and beads combo impresses me, hadn't used halo before. But theres vapes like my TM2 or Herbo with near complete glass vapor path with on demand heating helping retain flavor. Current technology doesn't allow for a session device to compete with such devices on flavor.

do you know if there was any significant changes in the pre production units you and the other testers possesed vs the edition we got shipped from vgoodiez?

There's been a few minor changes I know off but nothing that would impact flavor. I have had both versions and both perform similar wrt flavor.

@jasp3r since you said how a small change can have impact. After I had an issue with my first unit, a sort of spacer was added to create a tighter fit between the bottom plastic part and the top steel plate. But like I said i don't notice a difference between the two.

jasp3r

Maybe part of expectations? I have been raving about flavor and I stand by that. But Inwas raving about specifically a session style vape (iirc I mentioned this when i shared my first thoughts). It's the best tasting I've tried even, prefer it over my MV with glass wpa kit no doubt. I think the halogen and beads combo impresses me, hadn't used halo before. But theres vapes like my TM2 or Herbo with near complete glass vapor path with on demand heating helping retain flavor. Current technology doesn't allow for a session device to compete with such devices on flavor.
Interesting! So to me the Minivap is the king of the session space and it's not close to me. Which Minivap do you have that the flavor trails the Angus?

Razhumikin

Interesting! So to me the Minivap is the king of the session space and it's not close to me. Which Minivap do you have that the flavor trails the Angus?
Yea, this is also super interesting to me. I would say that the minivap is one of the best tasting vapes I have, but I dont have and have never tried an angus so I cant comment on the comparison. I do have a lot of other vapes though, and the minivap is something special flavor wise. I do have the teflon model though, and also (and crucially) the old model all glass wpa, so if you have the hybrid model and the new teflon wpa it might explain the differences in our perception.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

I have the glass (hybrid pretty sure) core with limited temp settings. Have the nylon wpa with glass insert. The silicone that's involved always bothered me. It also is vey underpowered at low temps, so I can't enjoy the low temps for flavor. And even a bigger hit with some flavor loss at high temp isn't ideal, also suffering from lousy heat retention. Maybe my battery is faulty? I ordered the wall adapter as well but it don't work and cs sorta gave up I think? Maybe I should try another battery? I can imagine more vapor production could help bring out better flavor of the herb itself as well as mask that hint of silicone that's always there at the low temps.

Vaporware

After I had an issue with my first unit, a sort of spacer was added to create a tighter fit between the bottom plastic part and the top steel plate.

Do you know what that part is made of?

If the steel plate gets hot a metal spacer would conduct heat to the plastic part, and a plastic spacer would just be more directly heated plastic…that could explain the flavor difference.

Vaporware,
Reactions: jasp3r

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Do you know what that part is made of?

If the steel plate gets hot a metal spacer would conduct heat to the plastic part, and a plastic spacer would just be more directly heated plastic…that could explain the flavor difference.
I believe the spacer was added at the bottom part, not the top. I also don't think there is a flavor difference just because the 10 or something persons that got to use it before general release were positive about taste, and now that it's out people are still positive but also some less positive reviews. That's just expected when a product gets into more hands imo.

Shit Snacks

To be fair the air path starts in the bottom part though, and the heater is all up in there, I don't know haha just saying the unpleasant taste and smell comes from deep inside mine, whatever the hell it may be really lol

Shit Snacks,

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Ah yeah I don't know about thermodynamics and shit lol I was just responding to the question that seemed to assume the spacer was added near the hot ss plate ;)

Abele Rizieri Ferrari,
Reactions: Shit Snacks

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
For me - due to size the Angus fits in to the home portable category.

I already have a Cosmic xtractor, Tetra-x, Dani, and Sticky Brick that fall in to this category. A bit crowded.

The only way an Angus could win a place is if it had 9.5/10 flavour. Looks like from the mixed results people are having it's not worth the risk.

Top Bottom