Terpenes and there Boiling Points (source PubChem)

LeftBased

I looked up all these boiling points for the terpenes that are in cannabis. I did my best to try and include most known terpenes. I may have missed some and there was some excluded because there was no boiling points listed on PubChem so they are unknown.

Here is the list:
(below 160c) Beta-caryophyllene > 128c = 264f alpha-pinene > 156c = 313f (below 170c) camphene > 160c = 320f beta-pinene > 166c = 329f beta-myrcene > 167c = 332f (below 180c) being at 180c seems like a sweet spot give or take some missing terps in upper range. delta-3-Carene > 170c = 338f beta-Phellandrene > 171c = 340f alpha-Phellandrene > 172c = 342f alpha-Terpinene > 175c = 347f Limonene > 176c = 349f Eucalyptol > 176c = 349f beta-Ocimene > 176c = 349f (below 190c) majority of most portables can hit this range and slightly above. gamma-Terpinene > 181c = 358f Terpinolene > 183c = 362f (below 220c) this range some portables can hit. linalool > 195c = 383f Terpinen-4-ol > 211c = 412f alpha-Terpineol > 218c = 425f (below 300c) this range seems to be super hot for most portables. geranyl acetate > 238c = 460f alpha-Bergamotene > 250c = 482f

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
And a related thread:

GoldenBud

I didn't know geranyl acetate / alpha-Bergamotene exist! I had never seen them on any HPLC result test..

I think if the boiling point of these terpz are much higher than Myrcene/Limonene etc', because the cannabis female plant use terpenes to attract the male plant, it's not much helpful for these ladies.... their molecules, also, look less stable and the molar mass is higher....Probably these terpenes are very very rare today....

maybe these terpenes are found in old genetics...

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Terpenes being volatile as they are will "hitch a ride" with the water vapor (steam distillation, essentially)
so you don't necessarily have to hit these temperatures to release the essential oils.

The cannabinoids on the other hand are much heavier and less volatile and need much more energy input to vaporize.

GoldenBud

If the boiling temp of these terpenes are over ~230C it means that their concentration is lower in the air too I think...even with the natural convection by the winds etc', comparing to Myrcene/Limonene etc', hence the female plant has less interest to create them...

and yes THCA is much heavier than terpz eh? its purpose to stick a seed to the female or so i think?

like, i think that it's easier for the female plant to produce something like Myrcene/Limonene which its molar mass is lower than geranyl acetate / alpha-Bergamotene and the male will smell it, although ofc indoor grow he will never arrive :lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom