Swamp Water / Golden Dragon a use for your abv/avb

Beezleb

I take no credit as all I did was was follow this simple recipe from here.
Edited in "Youtube says the video was removed by the user"

We have named this swamp water due its appearance when poured. It is traditionally referred to as golden dragon (I know some refer to that with tincture with Kief, hence the confusion) but we are fond of the phrase of "swamp water" and it just seems to fit much better. Regardless what its called, we hope you enjoy it and that it helps you find another way to make the efficiency in overall vaping far greater.

This method has surpassed my expectations on what I could get out of my abv but I am sure its not for everyone. If you try this method, please write a review so others may gain from our collective experiences.

What I do:
Just take twice as much ever clear alcohol or very high percentage alcohol, 151 rum is said to work well and shake up for a bit with abv. An example as for 1oz ounce of abv you would use 2 ounces of ever clear. Shake it up. Let it sit then shake it some more and let sit in dark. The video says for 1/2 an hour but ive always did for half to most of a day. I shake it up do it then go and do something. The second batch which sat longer was stronger but I also I let it evap some too. I recommend on grinding it up some more as well.

I then let it strain it with a coffee filter (updated to cheese cloth) and squeeze out all the drops. The filter will break when squeezing so you may need to double filter. Pour slowly into coffee filter or it can get messy.

When using cheese cloth it is easy to strain well but I recommend a final straining of the solution to ensure the particles are removed.

Then I let it evaporate in dark for a 1/2 a day to a day and it looses maybe 1/3 volume. The more evap the stronger I imagine.

Put in dark dropper container or dark container of choice. A mister would be great for taking under the tongue I think, (painful). Keep it out of the light as light will degrade the tincture and I can attest to this as this happened with my first batch. I notice some recipes to say refrigerate or that they keep refrigerated but is not said if it is necessary.

I do about a tablespoon to a full shot mixed with coke or so as it varies on strength and I believe the main dosage strength for me is going to be in the 1/2 shot range but am still learning and keep in mind that the strength will always vary based on the other factors such as the strength of the ABV. A dose in the afternoon and im good during the day. Its not the same as vaping but good enough for me and I am happy with it. I notice a marked improvement in effect when taking on an empty stomach.

Since I am just some guy who was dumb enough to follow some instruction from a youtube video I may not be able to answer many questions but I will do what I can and I hope to read about the experiences from others who try this method. I find it appealing that small amounts can be done versus using larger amounts in say cooking with it thus making it easy for people to try a small amount to decide if they like it or not.

As a community effort to explore. learn and share this vape product I submit to you the following:

Here is a good site about green dragon information. Since the abv has already been activated via the act of vaporizing it is not necessary to heat it.
http://www.greendragonsoda.com/#intro

http://www.greenbridgemed.com/how-to-make-cannabis-tinctures-at-home/
they speak about using hash in the document and its a very good read on the subject.

Need a dropper bottle? (Use a dark color as light breaks down the goodness).
Check out health food stores, perfume store, online or possibly a pharmacy. I have also found that a Worcestershire sauce bottle works greatly.

Straining info provided by momofthegoons:
momofthegoons said:
They're called potato ricers. I've been looking for a used one ever since I started vaping. Saw all kinds of them before, at resale and antique places. Now, I can't find a one. I sort of wanted a vintage one, but found one online at Target for $12.99. It actually looks better than the older ones I've seen and the price is right. The link wouldn't post for some reason, but if you go to the Target site, it comes right up. It's the red one.
Straining info provided by MoeOnTheMoon:
MoeOnTheMoon said:
Interesting... I plan to try this very soon.
Just wanted to say that I would make sure to use only brown - unbleached - coffee filters for those who use coffee filters. The white ones have dioxyn in them, a nasty chemical. You can usually get the brown ones at the grocery stores if you look for them.
Straining info provided by Raf007:
Raf007 said:
I repeat, do not use paper coffee filter ! as it will drink a lot of the alcohol in the process.
I wholly concur with this but if its all you have I think its fine but I believe its better to use cheese cloth or other methods.

Straining info provided by Indigal
indigal said:
I just strained it with this - product page no longer exist but was basically a camping coffee press. We have one for camping, no it does not make the best cup of coffee you've ever had. It did however, despite my doubts, handle the powdered sludge perfectly and got every last drop w/o clogging the filter. The abv tincture was perfectly clear and has the color of dark tea. Taste is not great, but I am evap it now in a wide bowl to reduce it enough to fit in my 2oz dropper bottle.
Information on how long to let the ABV sit before straining by Lo.
Lo said:
I've experimented w/ different lengths of time but honestly I don't think you need to let it sit very long. Shaking is good though. The times I left it sit longer it just made it in my opinion 'dirtier' and also had more viscosity, required extra filtering too yet still looked like used motor oil. I 'think' the stuff I do a quicker wash with is a cleaner product and still effective as all get out! Earned my white-knuckle club membership and have given out a few too ;)
For other great ideas on how to use your ABV from bake goods to candy check out these other threads by other great contributors:
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=9 Vapor Brownies (ABV Cannaoil)
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=61627#p61627 The recipe box, with pics!
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=2150 Dark oil - ABV extract
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=3650 Candies. Special thanks to Vapenstien's Monster (post #1) and CompassRosie (post #4)

If anyone has any other links or information that should be added please let me know.

I am just a messenger, don't shoot me hehe.

Beezleb,

11eleven11

So cool! Thanks for sharing man. :D

You could also buy some of that sour candy spray stuff, use it or empty it out, then waaa laaa - THC spray to use inconspicuously wherever you are.

11eleven11,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I have been very intrigued by this method. Easy and quick considering i have ounces upon ounces of ABV thought it might be a winner. Was looking for a tea strainer last time I was at the store.... no dice though.

Any suggestions where to get a good dark eye dropper? If you have any more details i vaping nugs with golden dragon drops on it get at us... that is most intriguing to me

IAmKrazy2,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
If you have any more details i vaping nugs with golden dragon drops on it get at us... that is most intriguing to me
Me too!! Was wondering if vaping the leftovers from my everclear tincture was a good idea, not sure it evaporates as well as ISO but intrigued by the idea!

I have been making batches of Golden Dragon with Everclear (which is HARD to find but IS available in FL)and I also let it evaporate down. I am not a big drinker though so finding yet another no or low cal way to use ABV - like back onto some nuggets sounds very interesting. I have given several friends some of my Everclear to try and all are surprised with how well it works.

I found that it is nice to use a couple strainers. I have 2 fine mesh strainers that fit into each other (wal-mart). I then put coffee filters into both before I fit them together. That way when things bust in the upper strainer they hopefully don't get past that 2nd strainer with the filter. I noticed a big difference in the amount of sediment when I started straining this way...much improved!

Lo,

VapoFish

lo said:
I have 2 fine mesh strainers that fit into each other (wal-mart). I then put coffee filters into both before I fit them together. I noticed a big difference in the amount of sediment when I started straining this way...much improved!
Thanks for that tip Lo.

:peace:

VapoFish,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Yeah, thanks Lo. Wally's world it is.... I had tried other places but i'll check there.

IAmKrazy2,

Beezleb

For the last two days I have been putting about 5 drops on some bud and letting it evap over night. The bud crumbles very well once dried. Their is no issue using it after it has evaporated, I let it sit all night.

I like it a lot, it does seem to intensify it but I would like to see what others have to say on it. I am still learning about it and am really surprised by it. I wont say never but I pretty much see my abv being used with this method from now on. The perfect addition to a drink but I would be careful with it in public as I would imagine being seen with a dropper bottle and drinks would not lead no where good.

Beezleb,

Beezleb

I hope it works out for you. I am a fan of it but I would like to see how others do it and their results.

Beezleb,

Beezleb

I had one but I would check at a perfume store in a mall or somewhere. Online search brings em up for less than 2 bucks.

Beezleb,

quomist

Rock the Casbah
Made a batch using 4 oz of 63% rum and 4.5 gms of abv. Gave it a water bath over the stove using this method:

http://boards.cannabis.com/concentrates/82380-definitive-green-dragon-revised-updated-combined.html

Trying it the first time left me underwhelmed. So I left it to evaporate in a closet for 6 hours and tested again when I woke up. Here is a log of my test:

1:08 - Have 2 dropperfuls
2:10 - Feel next to nothing, have another 2 dropperfuls
2:38 - Starting to feel nice
3:45 - buzz starting to wear off
4:30 - zzzzzzzzz.............
6:00 - stumble out of bed feeling fine

I'm going to leave it my closet for another day before I bottle it up. I also found out a local place selling 95% alcohol so I will try the non cook method and compare the potency to a fresh cooked batch.

quomist,

indigal

Amongst the corn
I've not tried the abv- but will as soon as I have enough.

I have soaked my well resin'd IO stems in just a few shotglasses of Everclear- it was light straw colored and very, very potent. I believe that 1/2 tsp of it would have been fine to be happy for hours, I had too much the 1st time (about a tablespoon plus.)

I am the edibles person my friends come to when they have trim to get rid of.

My method for green dragon from fresh dried resiny trim is inexact. Large mason jar filled about 1/3 or slightly more with loosely packed high quality trim, fill to top with Everclear and place open w/o a lid in a crockpot *edited for PSA, do use a crock pot when working with high proof stuff like everclear. The fumes can ignite with an open flame* of water. Turn on high until solution in mason jar comes to a boil (alc boils lower than water- 172 deg or something like that) boil it for 20mins or so and remove from bath.
Strain thru mesh strainer, then thru coffee filter if needed to remove debris. Bottle when cool. I find about 1/2 shot +/- mixed with something else works very well. Dosage depends on quality, proof of alcohol (extraction rates) and tolerance. Empty stomach is best for any edible imo.

I do chocolates too. Filled chocolates are next for the holidays. And potent dulce de leche cookies- that's another topic! :)

SometimesY

Indigal, you're making me hungry. I'll be interested to see your further posts.

As I said in another thread (on brownies), my next trick is going to be to try lollipops. I'm not much of a candy maker (more of a cook than a baker, apart from bread), though, so it should be fun.

I just wish I could get my hands on some cheap green to use -- I can't put $500/oz green in anything other than my vape.

One thing that I've noticed is wildly disparate ratios of ABV/alcohol between people that have posted. I've had good experiences with 2 oz of 151 to ~20g duff, with no evap. I will be more precise in my next batch, so as to report accurate results. I'd be interested to hear more from people as to what has (and hasn't) worked for them.

Beez - good on ya for starting a GD thread. It needs to be socialized amongst the vaporists a bit more -- it's a great, and easy, way to use ABV.

SometimesY,

indigal

Amongst the corn
I may start a psychoactive foodie thread eventually. I'll just need to put together what I've made and how. I'm a bit of a kitchen witch cook that never goes by a recipe- I wing it and it usually works good. Lollipops would be great- break out the candy-thermometer.

My thoughts about ABV tincture- or even stem residue tinctures, is if you can get the dosage down by raising the potency way up- you can add it to just about anything you make. Guac dip with a few drops of tincture. Sorbets always freeze better with a couple tsp of booze in them- makes them silkier, less icy-hard. I've been aiming to make green tea ice cream with some enhanced cream.

indigal,

Beezleb

After you make a weed butter or oil or whatever medium works for you then the options on what you can make is about anything.

Here is some good recipes for cooking:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/archive/index.php/f-23.html

Thanks quomist for your experiences. Look forward to your future endeavors with it. For abv you do not need to cook it first as the remaining thc has been activated already by the act of your prior vaporization as is my understanding. I use about half the dose you do.

I wonder if cooking it again as you did might have further removed some of the remaining thc and raising the cbn ratio in the mix, which would tend to make one tired is my understanding.

Beezleb,

Lo

Following this thread like a HAWK!! :)

You made me crave chocolate Indigal! Would love to see some of your recipes... Hell, wish you were my neighbor...I'd come borrow some chocolate :D

Okay, so for those following... I had always heard the sugars OR SOMETHING left behind in drinking alcohol were not so good for smoking... Not sure if that applies to vaping as well or not. I REALLY like the idea of putting the goodies back into some bud though!!

Anyone know much about the science of this?? Safe for smoking or vaping?

I'm thinking about testing ;) Thanks for starting this thread!!!

Lo,

StickyShisha2

lo said:
I had always heard the sugars OR SOMETHING left behind in drinking alcohol were not so good for smoking... Not sure if that applies to vaping as well or not. I REALLY like the idea of putting the goodies back into some bud though!!
I've cooked down some 151 to syrup and i wouldn't want to smoke that.
i guess i'll need to make a still first, to make some white lightning.

StickyShisha2,

Lo

My husband would be all over that white lightening ;)

Lo,

SometimesY

Before I discovered the wonders of this forum, I lurked at GrassCity for quite a while. There's a reasonably good edibles forum there (http://forum.grasscity.com/incredible-edible-herb/, which seems, these days, to be inexplicably mostly devoted to firecrackers. By and large, I think the discussion here surpasses most of what's posted there, but it's worth a look for some inspiration.

Little of what's there is geared specifically to our medium, being about green rather than ABV, so much of it doesn't apply. But there are a few folks that know what they're doing.

I look forward to a bit of kitchen alchemy this weekend - I'll let you know how it turns out.

SometimesY,

indigal

Amongst the corn
lo said:
Following this thread like a HAWK!! :)

You made me crave chocolate Indigal! Would love to see some of your recipes... Hell, wish you were my neighbor...I'd come borrow some chocolate :D

Okay, so for those following... I had always heard the sugars OR SOMETHING left behind in drinking alcohol were not so good for smoking... Not sure if that applies to vaping as well or not. I REALLY like the idea of putting the goodies back into some bud though!!

Anyone know much about the science of this?? Safe for smoking or vaping?

I'm thinking about testing ;) Thanks for starting this thread!!!
Thanks! I will start a thread after I make my treats, with pics. Closer to the holidays.. :)

As far as sugars, I do believe (have not tested, but easy to do) that Everclear would evap and leave little to no residue (is a great base for perfume fyi). Most spirits are fairly clean distilled alcohol with nothing but the residual flavors from the barrel & char (bourbon) or grain they came from (sugar in the case of rum.) Spirits are "dry" meaning no to minuscule remaining sugars. would not want to vape bourbon flavored weed (then again :p it may be good!) but depositing goodies on bud with a neutral spirit tincture I believe would be almost unnoticeable. Must try this.

You do not want to use things like Iso Alc labeled -rubbing alc- commonly found in drugstores, there is a bittering agent added- tastes nasty, prob not good for you. Everclear or hardware store pure isopropyl is best.

indigal,

wthanna

In response to the previous post. NEVER drink Isopropyl alcohol!!! Google for yourself, please.

wthanna,

indigal

Amongst the corn
It was in response to adding the tincture to dried buds, drying it and vaping it. See the quoted question in my post.

Not drinking it. Don't think anyone would be that :ko: to do that.

indigal,

indigal

Amongst the corn
So,
I'd be interested in hearing some comparisons from someone whose made green dragon from fresh trim vs the taste/flavor of golden dragon from ABV.

I've only made it from fresh dried trim, and also resin..

indigal,
Top Bottom