Suggestions for a portable vape for microdosing with a glass/ceramic path?

garm

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a vape to replace my pipe with something healthier. I was hoping you guys could help me choose.

My use case:
  • Microdosing. I'm a complete lightweight with weed despite daily use for years so I have no interest in big clouds or long sessions. I only take one, maybe two puffs from a pipe or joint/blunt then don't hit again for a couple of hours. I don't weigh it but probably about 0.1g a day. Getting everything out of the herb isn't that concerning with how little I go through.
  • I'm buying a vape to be healthier so an all glass or ceramic vapor path including heating is strongly preferred. Having metals like aluminum in alloys for an exposed heating element doesn't quite sit right with me. Same goes with plastic getting hot near the intake. I'd appreciate any knowledge about this though.
  • Something fairly small and portable. I won't be taking it around much but I'd rather it not take up a lot more space than my pipe.
  • I'm looking for something that I'll be happy with for at least a few years. Not looking to start a collection, I have too many other hobbies as it is. I appreciate your expertise and making the scene better though.

What I'm considering:
  • DaVinci IQC - I'd probably replace the silicone with IQ2 ceramics.
  • DaVinci Miqro - I'm not sure if I'd really be missing out on anything by getting the miqro over the IQC given how little I use.
  • Xlux Roffu - Not sure if convection is right for microdosing. If it has a heating element like the xmax v3 I have some concerns about aluminum and chromium in the coil. Info seems limited on this though apart from it being ceramic.
  • Arizer ArGo - I've heard people say the pastic shell gets pretty hot but depending on what kind of plastic it is and how hot it might be ok.
  • Tinymight - A little pricey and a lot of stainless steel, but still considering it given the reviews and warranty. Same question before about if it's right for microdosing.

Any help or recommendations are appreciated. I'm open to ones I haven't listed. Even pointing me in the right direction of conduction vs convection vapes for how little I use would help. I'm not sure if convection is right for me since I hear some people saying you inhale a lot of hot air and I'm not that used to that since I mouth to lung one puff at a time with a pipe and inhale a lot of air to cool it. I'd probably be using anything at a low temperature though.

garm,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Tinymight or Firewood7 if you can score one somewhere (keep an eye out for the FW8 coming soon though) personally for your situation I would not bother with any of the other options you mentioned, but check out Tafée Bowle, secondhand RBT Vapes, Vapman, TetraP80 (tough to get but should be having a drop soon) and Piro if you don't mind using a torch... Yes absolutely pure convection is great for microdosing on demand, I would also suggest checking out plug-in units like a log vape, cheapest email alan@toasty-top.com to get the heat island, my favorite one! Xmax v3pro is solid though

MorningMist

Just some comments on the ArGo: you have to work pretty hard to get more than a light buzz with it and this is coming from someone with a low tolerance who hasn’t smoked for a few years before I got my Argo recently. Think longer sessions, long draws, higher temps, and higher THC flower, so if you do any of those things more moderately in that sense it’s great for “microdosing” if you rethink what that means. It’s definitely a slow easy going device if that suits your needs/style. Some will criticize it’s too slow, weak heater or old tech or whatever, but I love it.

I usually get 2 ~6min sessions(over time) per bowl and gradually increase temperature depending on herb type, until I start getting the burnt popcorn taste. You can also use glass backspacers or domed screens to decrease amount of herb needed to load stem- ie microdosing in the traditional sense. I’ve had no issues with mine getting too hot but I never run it above 390-395f or so.

Last edited:

JaaCeeDee

Listen to Shit Snacks, who forgot more than most know about vapes!

Get a TM, can't go wrong, that's what I did last Thanksgiving after reading her posts.

The best choice if small, pocketable, well-made with10yr warranty, simple to use and keep clean, combined with great taste & customer service is what you want in a vape. And if you don't mind waiting, and waiting, like me since last September, you can pickup a FW8, Lamart P80, when they drop, maybe even a TafeeBowle when the battery get's fixed, or a small log later if you want to experiment.

Welcome to FC & good luck, you've already joined the premier online vaping community!

Last edited:

TeaCup

I'm looking to buy a vape to replace my pipe
If this is truly all your looking to do and you stand faithful to all you wrote, then there will be little, if anything better than an FW8.

FW8 and call it a day. Wait three years, then FW11 and call it another day. My advice would be to go and enjoy your other hobbies.

garm

Thanks for the replies.

A question about the Tinymight - I heard there's potentially some airflow from the pcb through a couple of holes below the coil. Is this true? If you block off the holes on top is there much flow through the bottom ones? Are there any detailed disassembly videos or pictures around? The thread is 500 pages and google images takes me to the wrong pages 🤦‍♂️

The Tetra P80 looks good too.

The firewood 7 looks good but I'm turned off by the bowl design. Having two pieces of porous aluminum silicate slide against each other seems like some dust will end up in my lungs over time. Feel free to correct me if they don't touch though.

The vapman seems interesting. I kinda avoided the dynavap cuz i'd probably burn myself one day but this seems safer and with better materials as long as the copper doesn't get exposed.

Also any particular reason to go for those over the IQC or roffu? The xmax V3 is a maybe - there's probably nothing wrong with the coil but I'd like the piece of mind. Although from what I've read the roffu is a really similar vape but smaller? Looking at the solo 2 as well but it's a little bulky with the mouth piece attached.

Last edited:
garm,

garm

Update: I just bought a new vapman pure out of FOMO cuz they had a 4/20 deal supposedly ending today and It's half the price of the other vapes. I like the size and design too.

My only concern is I might want to sanitize the inside of the wood air path eventually and don't know how. I guess steam could work.

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Thanks for the replies.

A question about the Tinymight - I heard there's potentially some airflow from the pcb through a couple of holes below the coil. Is this true? If you block off the holes on top is there much flow through the bottom ones? Are there any detailed disassembly videos or pictures around? The thread is 500 pages and google images takes me to the wrong pages 🤦‍♂️

No, there is no airflow through the PCB, at least in the originals, there was open there so it wasn't fully sealed away, but the airflow does not go through that, it only flows through the actual air path from the top through the heater then through the load and vapor path stem... I wouldn't be interested in it if this was an issue, trust me there is no issue... Yes there are many photos in that thread, there is a search feature at the top here, but it is best to just skim backwards through the thread, a lot of the same questions get asked over and over, specifically photos of the disassembled unit have been shared many times there...

The Tetra P80 looks good too.

The firewood 7 looks good but I'm turned off by the bowl design. Having two pieces of porous aluminum silicate slide against each other seems like some dust will end up in my lungs over time. Feel free to correct me if they don't touch though.

That is how the bowl works yes, you are not inhaling directly from there, so I don't know why dust would end up in your lungs? The ceramic there is smooth, glass on glass connection seems more risky than that to me...

The vapman seems interesting. I kinda avoided the dynavap cuz i'd probably burn myself one day but this seems safer and with better materials as long as the copper doesn't get exposed.

Yeah I don't like dynavap myself really, but I also only use my Vapman with the station, not a torch person anymore...

Also any particular reason to go for those over the IQC or roffu?

The xmax V3 is a maybe - there's probably nothing wrong with the coil but I'd like the piece of mind. Although from what I've read the roffu is a really similar vape but smaller? Looking at the solo 2 as well but it's a little bulky with the mouth piece attached.

Yeah they are made by the same manufacturer, they are similar, but for some reason I find the vapor quality in the Roffu I got to be pretty awful, impressive extraction and design otherwise, but v3pro is much better for me at least...

Solo and Air do not use convection the way these do, they are more session conduction style, slower heat up, slow extraction, nice to be able to use glass stem as chamber and vapor path here too though, but their tech is much more outdated, not really comparable in the same way (HealthyRips Rogue function performance style is in between them though)

Update: I just bought a new vapman pure out of FOMO cuz they had a 4/20 deal supposedly ending today and It's half the price of the other vapes. I like the size and design too.

My only concern is I might want to sanitize the inside of the wood air path eventually and don't know how. I guess steam could work.

Thanks again for the help!

Nice! Hope you enjoy it, post in the thread with these specific questions about it, I've never heard of anyone trying to sanitize a wood pathway before, does not sound like something necessary, steam could add moisture to the wood and warp, ruin it?

Vaporware

@garm You may be able to clean the wood with acetone, but you’d want to wait a while before using it again. Water or steam would probably do more harm than good.

Maybe look at how people clean wooden pipes? I think they just use pipe cleaners to remove large debris?

If you combust in the Vapman it will probably take a few uses before you stop tasting it, but it should fade on its own.

I hope that helps and that the Vapman works out for you! It seems like a good fit (and others recommended above would be too if the wood doesn’t work for you). :)

No, there is no airflow through the PCB, at least in the originals, there was open there so it wasn't fully sealed away, but the airflow does not go through that, it only flows through the actual air path from the top through the heater then through the load and vapor path stem... I wouldn't be interested in it if this was an issue, trust me there is no issue... Yes there are many photos in that thread, there is a search feature at the top here, but it is best to just skim backwards through the thread, a lot of the same questions get asked over and over, specifically photos of the disassembled unit have been shared many times there...

I don’t want to have/share misinformation, so please tell me if I’m wrong about this:

From my understanding there is still a hole for the post below the heater which goes into the electronics compartment. From there, the bottom cap does not make an airtight seal so there is a small secondary intake of air through that hole.

Clearly the main airflow does not pass over the electronics, the little air that does come through is not heated, and many popular vaporizers have had a lot worse configurations.

Even the Firewood 7 has a bit of a similar air leak. I still use it, but I do hope the 8 has that sealed off completely.

I think if anyone cared very much about the small leak in the TinyMight they could seal that hole around the post…I’m just not sure what the right material would be to do it with. Maybe a little ring of PEEK?

Edit: Fixed typo or autocorrect mistake.

Last edited:

passenger

is this thing on?
@garm
I think if anyone cared very much about the small leak in the TinyMight they could seal that hole around the post…I’m just not sure what the right material would be to do it with. Maybe a like ring of PEEK?
I don't like such leaks at all, because to me it is a design flaw. It shouldn't have to be fixed by the user, who knows what goes wrong in the fix.
The Tetra P80 is really clean from what I know, never dissambled it but should not have such a leak. @Shit Snacks should be right about a coming drop it's kinda overdue! :) Be fast when that happens in case you want in.

The Vapman has a very clean path. Butane is no problem with it, you never heat and pull at the same time.

passenger,
Top Bottom