Strain does not vape well, smokes fine?

hillbill

Anyone found this happening besides me? I have a couple sativas that don't give much vapor until 410f or more and do not hit real hard but blows old hippy freaks' socks off when smoked. My Indica types seem to produce good vapor even at 385f. Temps approximate.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I've found that Green Crack does what you're describing where there's not much until you hit higher temps. I don't think you're going hot enough though. I use 430F in my Herbalizer for "high temp" strains to get the full effect, otherwise the strain seems to fall short of what it should be doing.

strictly vapor

Anyone found this happening besides me? I have a couple sativas that don't give much vapor until 410f or more and do not hit real hard but blows old hippy freaks' socks off when smoked. My Indica types seem to produce good vapor even at 385f. Temps approximate.

When it happens to me it's almost always sativa dominant strains. I've found that regardless of the quality or cure there are some strains that just require a higher temperature to release the actives.

hillbill

I have Oaxacan Zipolite from Bodhi and Peak c99 that are like that. Vaping gets harsher at those temps but having a hell of a time posting since the Oaxacan is vaping very well at red on my Flowermate Mini at the moment.

HD Springer

What about the other direction. I've found that Blue dream is a less then powerful strain when smoked. But you vaporize it and it's a whole different beast. My experiences is that It gives off never ending vapor. And the effects are awesome.

The way your talking @hillbill makes a little more sense in that if it's not a real "frosty" strain then you won't have those lower temp terp hits. IMO.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
What about the other direction. I've found that Blue dream is a less then powerful strain when smoked. But you vaporize it and it's a whole different beast. My experiences is that It gives off never ending vapor. And the effects are awesome.

The way your talking @hillbill makes a little more sense in that if it's not a real "frosty" strain then you won't have those lower temp terp hits. IMO.

Been doing loads of Blue Dream sift in the Vapcap, powerful! And awesome taste.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Are you talking huge vapor clouds that you visiblely can see? Huge vapor clouds that are big and visible isn't a sign of cannabis that has a lot of medicine. I've had shit weed that gave off huge visible vapor but didn't medicate worth a damn. For me you can't always depend on a name, it doesn't depend on Indica or Sativa IMO.

Other factors too is the dryness and if it's degraded over time or is it too damp. Cannabis losses its goodies if left to dry out in the open - sun and air will destroy the medicine.

Last edited:

herbivore21

Are you talking huge vapor clouds that you visiblely can see? Huge vapor clouds that are big and visible isn't a sign of cannabis that has a lot of medicine. I've had shit weed that gave off huge visible vapor but didn't medicate worth a damn. For me you can't always depend on a name, it doesn't depend on Indica or Sativa IMO.
This is actually only half of the explanation IME (not to pick on you of course :) ).

What you will notice with cannabis that has abundant resin (Which is the best kind of cannabis: It simply has more of the actives in it.) is that at low temps, it will give disproportionately large clouds compared to low-resin containing cannabis. The reason for this is as follows:

as @CarolKing suggests, any flower can make large clouds, even if it is not very good quality (ie: lacks resin) in a vape that can sufficiently heat the plant material (for argument's sake, if you use an evo at 2:30 on the dial, you are going to get large clouds from almost anything!). What you are inhaling in those large clouds however, is not necessarily what you wanted to inhale (the stuff with the cannabis psychoactivity!).

Flower with abundant resin will give large clouds at much lower temps. If you dialled the temp back down to 10 o'clock on the dial, you would nonetheless get whitewalling vapor. This is because cannabis resin boils at lower temps than the inactive plant components in the rest of the nug, which were causing the whitewall in the high temp, low resin cannabis scenario. In the low temp, high resin containing cannabis scenario, we get large clouds of cannabis actives, rather than stuff from overheating the less desirable plant material.

Cribnotes:

1. All cannabis will create large clouds of vapor at very high temps just below combustion. All cannabis will of course give you a large smokey rip if you burn it! Fire creates clouds, regardless of what you are combusting.

2. Only the best cannabis will create large dense clouds of vapor at low temps. This is a benchmark of quality.

hillbill

This seems strain related as I only have 2 that are like that but it takes more heat to release their goodness. At lower temps there is no "pulling sensation" as when vaporization is happening. All and all, the amount of vapor released may be similar, the temp needed is not. Without approaching the upper limits of temp a person may think they have mids when they have an elite.

The c99 in particular when smoked backs people off who have been smoking even since the '70's. But vaping requires some punch to make her shine.

hillbill,

herbivore21

This seems strain related as I only have 2 that are like that but it takes more heat to release their goodness. At lower temps there is no "pulling sensation" as when vaporization is happening. All and all, the amount of vapor released may be similar, the temp needed is not. Without approaching the upper limits of temp a person may think they have mids when they have an elite.

The c99 in particular when smoked backs people off who have been smoking even since the '70's. But vaping requires some punch to make her shine.
This can also occur due to wetness of the flower, if your flower is not completely dry (do the twigs snap, or twist?), it'll take some heat before it starts making clouds.

Some varieties (strains is a term to classify viruses ;)) tend to produce more resin more quickly than others. A narrow leaf variety (what people call 'sativa', I've explained the problem with this terminology elsewhere on FC many times) will finish flowering much later than a broad leaf variety. The majority of resin production tends to take place in the final 2 weeks of maturation. What this means is that immature flower will have less resin, and will therefore create less vapor at low temps. It will create plenty of smoke of course, as would a piece of paper if you burned it. That is combustion related, not resin related.

At lower temps, there is absolutely a 'pulling sensation' with high resin containing flower. Look at your flower under a jeweller's loupe or similarly high magnification. Can you see abundant resin glands?

2cZ4MSx.jpg

This is a flower at 300x, see those little clear/white balls on the end of stalks (which are also responsible for the blurred picture, as focus is hell with these little lens like balls)? Those are the resin glands. That is the part that gets you medicated/high/stoned/whatever you wanna call it, and it is these balls melting and boiling that produces huge clouds of vapor at low temps in my hypothetical evo example above.

You should not need high temperatures to get large hits off of high resin containing cannabis.

Little Bill

Oldest stoner on FC
This can also occur due to wetness of the flower, if your flower is not completely dry (do the twigs snap, or twist?), it'll take some heat before it starts making clouds.

Some varieties (strains is a term to classify viruses ;)) tend to produce more resin more quickly than others. A narrow leaf variety (what people call 'sativa', I've explained the problem with this terminology elsewhere on FC many times) will finish flowering much later than a broad leaf variety. The majority of resin production tends to take place in the final 2 weeks of maturation. What this means is that immature flower will have less resin, and will therefore create less vapor at low temps. It will create plenty of smoke of course, as would a piece of paper if you burned it. That is combustion related, not resin related.

At lower temps, there is absolutely a 'pulling sensation' with high resin containing flower. Look at your flower under a jeweller's loupe or similarly high magnification. Can you see abundant resin glands?

2cZ4MSx.jpg

This is a flower at 300x, see those little clear/white balls on the end of stalks (which are also responsible for the blurred picture, as focus is hell with these little lens like balls)? Those are the resin glands. That is the part that gets you medicated/high/stoned/whatever you wanna call it, and it is these balls melting and boiling that produces huge clouds of vapor at low temps in my hypothetical evo example above.

You should not need high temperatures to get large hits off of high resin containing cannabis.
@herbivore21 amazing information! A bit herb-erotic also.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
I had this recently, it turned out that the cheeky fuckers had stripped all the crystals off it. Still smelled good so I'm assuming it was tumbled rather than had the butane treatment.

EmDeemo,

whatitdew

Vapes R Great
I have had a lot of different strains that will not vape well. Sometimes it's not cured enough. Sometimes it's the strain. I actually have stopped using any sativas as they tend to not vape as well and also seems to irritate my throat. I find I go through too much herb with them to get the level of medication I need. It's crazy how picky I am now compared to when I combusted. All the terpenes opens up a whole nother world. Some Strains I use to love to smoke, I hate to vape haha.

TeeJay1952

Inasmuch as it pertains to vapor production and identifying characteristics of a strain, Waiting till 15% amber, Flushing and aging are all ever so mush important in bringing out the variations twixt strains. I submit it is rare and almost impossible to find commercial activities that match the home gourmand.
It is difficult to talk folks into getting quality vape instead of meds. ( even though it pays for itself in few months of usage) Asking someone to hold onto their harvest as opposed to getting cash now is another tough concept to sell.
Consequently as the OP says Strain does not vape well, smokes fine.

TeeJay1952,

howie105

We could spend a long time listing all the variables that go into a vape session. Operator, gear, product type variables are all legion so to a point I try to accept whatever another user observes about their situation as fact even if I can't see it.

howie105,

Little Bill

Oldest stoner on FC
:rant::rant:
I have had a lot of different strains that will not vape well. Sometimes it's not cured enough. Sometimes it's the strain. I actually have stopped using any sativas as they tend to not vape as well and also seems to irritate my throat. I find I go through too much herb with them to get the level of medication I need. It's crazy how picky I am now compared to when I combusted. All the terpenes opens up a whole nother world. Some Strains I use to love to smoke, I hate to vape haha.

@whatitdew I am so jealous you have access to so many choices!

Little Bill,
Reactions: Okla68

whatitdew

Vapes R Great
:rant::rant:

@whatitdew I am so jealous you have access to so many choices!

Lol yeah, that's like one of the only good things going on in with my life these days. I'm spoiled with high quality cannabis. I have friends who grow professionally, friends who own dispensaries and friends who grow cheap clean hippies weed from out in the sticks too if I want. This is why I love the Westcoast my friend!

whatitdew,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I like my bud bone dry for vaping.
When I smoked I liked it a bit fresh.
I don't vape much herb that does not crush into dry matter any more.
I have some strains that I grew 5 years ago (Yep... I guess by now it has cured),
that did not produce much visible vapor while it was still fresh (yet grindable).
Now after a couple of years of living in sealed jars (with a weekly "breather"),
they produce mountains of vapor.
Cure it well and the vapor comes forth more easily.

machine.screw

I thought it was just me...I have the same problem but in reverse sativa's/hybrids produce lots of vapor when elbow packed in my eq at 388. Every time I get a new strain I clean my parts. I also just do .2 dose each screen. At times .2 will be very tight other times it seems I could fit twice the amount. This is due to how dry and how resinated it is. Greasy buds seem week. Sticky buds seem strong. Have no clue if any of this helps.

machine.screw,

DrewVape

The vape is the end-all in quality determination. Assuming properly dried, good herb always vapes good. No way around that.

My friend always hated how his bud didn't create clouds like mine did. Because it didn't have the same oil content! He eventually admitted it when we started making wax.

That's why dispensaries dont sell vapes really. You actually learn quality and genetics by using them. Still cant find any relevance in thc content. Either somone is lying or it doesnt really matter. Because you can look at and feel a cut and tell how's its going to hit better than trusting some number. Its a quality issue. The only thing that can make herb vape bad is lack of medicine, or contaminants like horticultural sprays sold as resin boosters.

All depends on how its grown. Where I live, Sativas are premature and adulterated with fake smells, because the grower wants you to buy commercial 7 week indica strains instead (no one wants or needs these gmo Indicas, the grower just wants to grow them. Same with sensi. The smoker didn't start that trend, the seed hoarders did.)

Most modern herb is missing the resins it used to all have. Gorilla Glue hasn't even been sticky the last several times Ive purchased it.. The advent of greasy trichs and sweet-not-sour skunks... The end of natural weed..?

DrewVape,
Top Bottom