Starting a headshop?

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I imagine $10k would not be enough to get any sort of decent insurance package...

Frankly, I would post the same exact concerns even if the OP said he was coming to the table with $100k. Startups take a ton of $$$$$$$.

I have not seen many head shop business plans, but I do not think $10k will be enough to break into retail. Perhaps reconsider an online-only storefront and drop-ship without carrying inventory.

Sorry to be a downer, but I hate seeing people fail and have seen MANY owners loose EVERYTHING (home included) when stores close.

With no business history and no real credit to speak of, any landlord you find will require you sign a personal guarantee for the amount of the lease. Are you prepared to put all your assets on the line? The risk/reward does not seem to balance, especially as you do not have a proven business model or plan.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Yeah I mean nobody wants to get into the ins and outs of an insurance policy, just in this instance aside from the obvious risks one would associate with a head shop, theres also the added liability, when you're importing goods directly from other countries (ordering bongs from DHGate), you essentially become the manufacturer *in most cases.* Meaning if theres a law suit, the buck basically stops with the importer. You cant pass it along to the chinese manufacturer and say "Go take it up with them." You essentially assume full liability.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Don't mail bongs or paraphernalia into Pennsylvania.
Be aware of the absolute myriad of local and federal laws regards such items as you are liable.
All that said.............live your life.
Do what you wanna do just don't hurt anyone and it's all good imo.
As far as legalization goes...........the production side of the industry needs ethical,motivated people.
🐸

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I think the only headshops making any money are the ones selling high end curated smoking art. The demand for real heady art is larger than the supply, so having pieces from these artists gives people a reason to shop at your store.

Everything else has pretty much been leveraged as direct-to-consumer to cut out the middle man (you - the guy wanting to start a head shop). DHgate prices have increased substantially in the last few years, not sure how much meat on the bone is really there unless you buy larger quantities of specific pieces which most wouldn't want to do when starting out due to desire to offer a larger selection of products.

A lot of these stores make money off e-cig/vape products, with the change in legality regarding many of these products from the last year (ex: flavored juices) and continuing onward, that's another potential revenue stream which could be lost.

Obviously CBD is a major revenue stream here, possibly more valuable than selling bongs depending on your markets saturation.

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
Thats also some sound advice... if you're open to other avenues, that 10K could be put to very good use.

Not to discourage, but to be realistic, I'm in insurance sales, focusing primarily on the commercial side. The amount of businesses (both new and long-established) I've been seeing close (re: clients and friends) lately is just insane. Then again, we are in one of the areas hit hardest, like idk when NYC will ever recover.

Never insured a head shop, but just based on my general experience, I would also really look into that when figuring your expenses out. It could get pretty expensive.
This is good advice. I want to open up a tattoo shop, but if any store would be a bad idea that one is it right now. I have everything except the LLC and a building to pass health code ( I was at the start with it then Covid went pandemic) I would like to have a headshop just as extra income and tattoo here's a pic of the last one I finished 20200822_200038.jpg
@invertedisdead CBD is a great market but cbd flower is illegal here for now too. Most people order online for it here

Last edited:

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
I think the only headshops making any money are the ones selling high end curated smoking art. The demand for real heady art is larger than the supply, so having pieces from these artists gives people a reason to shop at your store.

Everything else has pretty much been leveraged as direct-to-consumer to cut out the middle man (you - the guy wanting to start a head shop). DHgate prices have increased substantially in the last few years, not sure how much meat on the bone is really there unless you buy larger quantities of specific pieces which most wouldn't want to do when starting out due to desire to offer a larger selection of products.

A lot of these stores make money off e-cig/vape products, with the change in legality regarding many of these products from the last year (ex: flavored juices) and continuing onward, that's another potential revenue stream which could be lost.

Obviously CBD is a major revenue stream here, possibly more valuable than selling bongs depending on your markets saturation.

It's funny, the next thing I was going to suggest was a CBD store. They almost seem to be the next "head shop." I've seen quite a few in affluent areas and they're usually done up pretty nicely with attractive curb appeal.

This is good advice. I want to open up a tattoo shop, but if any store would be a bad idea that one is it right now. I have everything except the LLC and a building to pass health code ( I was at the start with it then Covid went pandemic) I would like to have a headshop just as extra income and tattoo here's a pic of the last one I finished View attachment 3062

See me, personally, I wouldn't have a major issue getting tattoos done today. At least at a reputable shop - obviously the good ones before COVID were practicing good hygiene, the last thing a tattoo shop wants is a bad rep for being dirty. Between that, and extra COVID shit these days, I'd be more comfortable going into a tattoo shop than a grocery store! The problem for you would be you have to build the good rep...that would be hard to do without a trusting client base today. Looks like you have the artistic ability and materials though!

arb

Semi shaved ape
This is good advice. I want to open up a tattoo shop, but if any store would be a bad idea that one is it right now. I have everything except the LLC and a building to pass health code ( I was at the start with it then Covid went pandemic) I would like to have a headshop just as extra income and tattoo here's a pic of the last one I finished View attachment 3062
@invertedisdead CBD is a great market but cbd flower is illegal here for now too. Most people order online for it here
Far better to do tats than bongs.
😉

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
Ha thank you guys. I'm very clean and have a decent client list for my situation. I actually just started working on people again. The wife is scared for me to try. I wouldn't be able to hold my 8-5 job to try and open, and the wife's income isnt the greatest. I really want to go for it but to fail means everything I've been working for the last couple years could all be lost.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I don't want to see you fail either. I hope I am not being dismissive of your dream, just thought I would offer another perspective before you put all your everything into this basket.

BTW - Your ink looks awesome!

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
I don't want to see you fail either. I hope I am not being dismissive of your dream, just thought I would offer another perspective before you put all your everything into this basket.

BTW - Your ink looks awesome!
No I appreciate all thoughts, ideas, and criticism. I just turned 30 and feel no fulfillment out of the path I'm on and something needs to change. If I fail I will at least be happy to know I tried

strech

Everything has some type of risk. Business owners usually take the risk in hopes of big returns down the road.

If your afraid of the risk stay an employee of a risk taker.

arb

Semi shaved ape
No I appreciate all thoughts, ideas, and criticism. I just turned 30 and feel no fulfillment out of the path I'm on and something needs to change. If I fail I will at least be happy to know I tried
Have you considered growing cannabis?
You seem,to me at a glance here the ideal person.
I am 40 miles west of Yellowstone Park and even here the market is insatiable.

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
Have you considered growing cannabis?
You seem,to me at a glance here the ideal person.
I am 40 miles west of Yellowstone Park and even here the market is insatiable.
I will grow if it passes. I cant own a dispensary because I have a felony distribution, and manufacturing and distribution felony.
@strech your very right and I want to take my own risk.

iDRINKBLEACH,
Reactions: arb

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker

Heres my advice. There are steps you can take to start a smoke shop and make it successful..

Start with a plan. You need to know where you're going and how to get there. There are many people who want to open up a smoke shop, but don't have the expertise or knowledge of the industry needed to make their business a success. You should start by learning everything you can about the tobacco industry and how it works. That way, when it comes time for you to open your own store, it will already be successful because of all the research and planning that went into starting it in the first place.

Find a location for your shop that is accessible from multiple places yet still zoned appropriately for what type of store you want (for example: liquor store vs tobacco store). It's also important that this location be affordable since most businesses require significant startup capital which means high rents could mean higher prices for customers later on down the road if things don't go well right off bat so make sure beforehand before signing any contracts!
Thank you for the information! I don’t know much about the tobacco industry but know a little bit on dry herb vaping so I built my brand completely around that. I actually started a brand online and have been operating for a bit over a year I think. I actually don’t think I’ll open a brick and mortar store because I’ve enjoyed the online much more.

Last edited by a moderator:

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
Good Job @iDRINKBLEACH. From offline Headshop to online vapeshop to glass innovator.
Thank you bro ❤️❤️❤️ Been a crazy ride, wouldn’t want to be doing anything else. Crazy story I tattooed for like 7 years or so practicing trying to get a spot in a legit good tattoo shop. Finally got a spot offered in a real nice shop, wanted me to set up my equipment at one of their chairs. When the offered it to me just so happened to be the day before I was suppose to start my first LLC for Cloud Connoisseur. Was definitely at some crossroads, but ultimately I’m happy with the path I’ve created.
I have been getting the itch to do a tattoo lately, might have the wife lay down on the table for a few this weekend 😂😂

Edit- it’s crazy to me you can trace all my beginnings back on FC, like this thread is one of them. Thank you everybody who has helped me get to this spot in my life.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I have been getting the itch to do a tattoo lately, might have the wife lay down on the table for a few this weekend 😂😂

Edit- it’s crazy to me you can trace all my beginnings back on FC, like this thread is one of them. Thank you everybody who has helped me get to this spot in my life.
I'm reminded of,

"I fixed a needle in a holder
Laid my hand upon your spine
And there upon your shoulder
I drew the picture as your sign

When I think about us
I see the picture that we made
The picture to remind us
True love will never fade"

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
It's pretty cool idea though. Here in Europe is such a vacuum, I have thought about it myself, with online focus or online only. But times are a bit unfortunate for me rn. Cool to see how this escalated though :rockon:
It’s definitely very scary taking the leap. Especially with leaving my job to dedicate more time into growing CC. Many times I thought I was about to go belly up and failed, some white knuckle moments.
@vapviking great song choice. My wife has a lot of tattoos that bring me back to memories of times our lives that had helped make the choice is what I did on her at that time. ❤️

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
I still have a little dream opening a shop in Beverly Hills called Cloud Connoisseur with your products after all our early discussions!
fancy GIF

I feel like a fancy suit would be fitting for that shop 🤣 high class kind of store.

Top Bottom