Spouse request: torch lighter that doesn't make that clicking sound?

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
My sweet and most accommodating wife had requested that I find a torch lighter for my Vapman that doesn't make that electronic clicking sound when it sparks.

I tried my best to explain that I was pretty sure that every single piezoelectric sparked lighter I've ever seen makes that noise.

But is there one that is more silent?

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
A Google search yielded little in the way of flint ignited jet lighters, but I'm sure they are out there.

I don't think there are any flint based ones. But you'd think in this world there would be.

ChippyMalone,

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
ChippyMalone,

Krizzle

Hi Very high
Yeah will break off easy. Only weak point on the damn zippos. Get the zippo gas and extra flints and you should be set.

Krizzle,

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
Yeah will break off easy. Only weak point on the damn zippos. Get the zippo gas and extra flints and you should be set.
Nice thing about Zippo is that everything is guaranteed forever no matter what. Im very grateful you knew about this.

ChippyMalone,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
It's not ideal, but i had a torch where the igniter died and I limped along for a month or so igniting it with a bic. Maybe there's something out there designed to be ignited externally?
I did this with my torch for over a year before I figured out I could fix my issue by just adjusting a tiny piece of metal inside the torch :lol:

p1ssbucket

I have been dabbing with a propane torch with a busted igniter for over a year. Just let a little gas out light the bic and you're set.

Or get an enano!

p1ssbucket,

Soflo

Only birdshit and fools
that zippo blue does not work if you turn it upside down. the flame goes out. I have one

Soflo,
Reactions: Beluga

VoltageKeeper

Accessory Maker
i have a vector that light's like a regular flint lighter, then you press a button and it turns into a torch, so there are indeed torch lighters with a flint ignition:

http://vectorkgm.com/official/elite-lighter/

It's kinda nice because it stays lit as long as the lid is open, but you do have to hold the side button down to keep the torch on, otherwise it's a regular lighter flame.

fwiw I used to collect fancy lighters (st dupont, dunhill, dior, cartier, im corona, etc) and particularly flint butane lighters. The ones that are well made can really last forever, but you do have to get the seals replaced every few decades, most of the good ones are completely servicable, but definitely not a task for the average person. and yeah, flint torches are rare, I was pretty much sold immediately when I found that vector, and that's coming from a guy who has a pile of fancy lighters in a drawer, lol.

Last edited:

sesh732

Imaginable
I realize this thread is a year old, but Easter weekend was resurrection themed! Anyone tried the Prometheus retro? I too am searching for a torch or jet style flame without the piezo knock sound. Stealth, and happy spouses, can be nice.

srama21

Monotonous Botanist
I use these Eagle Torches: http://www.amazon.com/Single-Lighte..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0YRFNRPV9RX602VT6KES

Although they do utilize the same setup as any torch lighter and make the clicking sound, the lighters have a lock which works to prevent accidental use of the trigger. The lock works both ways though, so if you have the button depressed and initiate the lock, you don't need to hold the trigger for the flame to stay lit. This means you could have one click per session. Light your flame, lock in place, and use it throughout the session. The lighter is pretty durable and stands upright. I've had that flame on continuously for 3-4 minutes.

srama21,
Reactions: sesh732

FFurryButt

Here is an item that will fit the bill, it can be bought on eBay.

Buy the Iroda Solderpro 50 (SP50) and the Iroda S-6 blow torch tip. They cost about $45 altogether.

It's also available sometimes at radioshack.com as a "Butane powered mini soldering iron" and it includes the torch tip for $30

This will become your favorite torch, I promise. The cap contains a regular flint roller to light it. Nearly silent. And you have full time control of the flame, no need for looking for a little screwdriver to adjust it.

FFurryButt,
Top Bottom