Spinal injury best strain for spasms

CannaQuad

Hi guys,

This is my first post and I have only just joined the forum, So I’m not sure if this is the right type of post or the right place to post this message.

My name is James and I have a spinal injury (quadriplegic), I find medical cannabis unbelievably amazing for spasms and just overall general well-being.

I’m just curious to find out if there are any other people on the forum with a spinal injury and medicating using cannabis for spasms. Any advice on the best strain ?

For example an Indica strain is good for nighttime spasms but in the day time not so good when trying to keep active doing things.

Interested if anyone has any other experiences :-)

arb

Semi shaved ape
Indicas taken at the end of flower works best for me I have osteoporosis and have broken five vertebrae in my spine.
Works wonders for spasms and associated nerve pain.......also helps the osteoarthritis that formed around the damaged areas.

Vapeur Rogue

Est. 2013- Never Lookin' Back
Not sure if this totally suits your needs-( my motivation) but 3 Kings helped me heal from whiplash and helps with my restless leg, and neuropathic pain. I usually head into Indicas and Indica heavy hybrids for the rest of my pain needs however, and have found a functioning dose of even most of my heaviest strains- Would be happy to share the other strains I use if interested as well.

CannaQuad

Not sure if this totally suits your needs-( my motivation) but 3 Kings helped me heal from whiplash and helps with my restless leg, and neuropathic pain. I usually head into Indicas and Indica heavy hybrids for the rest of my pain needs however, and have found a functioning dose of even most of my heaviest strains- Would be happy to share the other strains I use if interested as well.
Thank you for helping with this info, yes I would be happy to know the other strains

Vapeur Rogue

Est. 2013- Never Lookin' Back
Sure! My goals include, but are not limited to- moderate to heavy body pain relief, and nipping hypervigilance/insomnia, and gut issues- in short for my med needs- if a strain does not help me in at least 2-4 symptoms, and taste decent (and effects hitting within 10 min. on the outside), It does not make my First choice list- There are other things I consider in my qualifications too-but don't want to derail us here-if interested PM. (My umbrellas are C-PTSD, Fibromyalgia, including, but not limited to related IBS and migraines.)

Strains:
Hindu Kush (Land race of choice) Purple Hindu Kush, Blackberry Kush, Warlock, Jagermeister (JGR), Blackwater,Hashberry, Pitbull (one of my heaviest regarding mental state- I tend to save this when possible for after some projects are done). All of these are reliable enough I can stock up for the long haul/buy in bulk to store without question of usefulness.

Other Strains I have tried that work well enough to be in my second string notes include:
Huckleberry Kush, Rasberry Kush, Sunset Sherbert.

These are abbreviated notes! If I recall offhand, I have a journal I keep that has notes on these and most others I try. Likely 25+ strains in my notes now.

shredder

Hi guys,

This is my first post and I have only just joined the forum, So I’m not sure if this is the right type of post or the right place to post this message.

My name is James and I have a spinal injury (quadriplegic), I find medical cannabis unbelievably amazing for spasms and just overall general well-being.

I’m just curious to find out if there are any other people on the forum with a spinal injury and medicating using cannabis for spasms. Any advice on the best strain ?

For example an Indica strain is good for nighttime spasms but in the day time not so good when trying to keep active doing things.

Hi guys,

Hi CannaQuad, welcome to the forum!

I've found mixing in some CBD in some form or another helps me with muscle cramps and spasms. I mostly use sativa hybrids and either take homemade capsules with CBD in them or add cannatonic #4, a mostly CBD hybrid.

My best advice would be to experiment. Even when I find a variety that works, it might not work forever.

Also I have to drink a lot of water, and limit my intake of caffeine and alcohol. Anything that dehydrates me causes me to have cramps.

HerbieVonVapster

Watched a interesting documentary on netflix's the other day. Explained better than I can the status of current medical cannabis.

Basically you need to realize indica an sativa are mostly just names at this point. The genetic have been mixed so much even telltale signs like leaves shape etc mean nothing anymore. 9 times outa 10 someone smokes it and decides based on effects what to label it.

On labeling there's no standards either anyone can name a strain whatever they like. There is no one blueberry it's whatever seeds (or clones if your lucky) your dispensary buys or grows. Can run from awesome to crap.

Just search for blueberry cannabis seeds. There 100's of growers offering blueberry seeds. Multiply that by thousands of growers producing it for thousands of different dispensaries with no standard of what blueberry strain is and you can see the issues.
If you lucky it might have some of DJ shorts genetics in it. Even if has correct the genetics every seed is not going produce the same quality of meds.

Makes basing your choice on the strain names difficult at best.
It is a starting point thou since hopefully whats ever they sell might carry some common genetics traits.

I would look more into the thc/cbd ratios terpenes etc. Find a dispensary you trust buy a few strains. Find out if they grow from seed or if use clone. You want something from clone. That way if works for you should be able get same thing from them next visit.

If had list some strains that help me with my spinal issue, nerve damage and muscle wasting issue would also look into some of the more energizing strains. Things called haze diesels or are label sativa for nerve pain. I find they work better and does't sedate me as much.

I also look for something with cbd in it. For me a good ratio for is a 1 part cbd to 2 parts thc.
Critcal cure a newer strain i like. Hasn't been watered down yet. I also like a strong high cbd only strain AC/DC or Candida (CD1). to use before consuming a high thc strain.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
@CannaQuad welcome to the forum. A plethora of information around here and a lot of wonderful people that love to share.

There would be another route you could take. You could use tinctures with a good THC and Cbd ratio. With edibles you would need to go about it slowly as not to over medicate. Tinctures can be added to any beverage such as coffee or tea. You can add tinctures to anything. It would depend if you had access to edibles or were able to make them yourself.

I have pain I deal with daily - that damn arthritis!

You could even try some of the concentrates out there as well. I bought a cartridge type vaporizer that uses the cartridges of oil that you basically screw into the vaporizer. It’s a lithium battery incased in the vaporizer. It charges up quickly and doesn’t give off any smell. It cost only $20 at the local headshop and glass store. I’ve had it a month and is working great. It’s called the Ggo. It’s made in WA state and is not from China that I know of.

I don’t want my tolerance to go up so I don’t do just concentrates I like to vaporize flowers as well. The better tasting vapor the better. As long as it gets the job done. Hindu Kush a strong Indica, is excellent strain for pain, so is Gorilla Glue and it’s a Hybrid.

Last edited:

black1234567

I have lower back pain early in the mornings, obviuosly some nerve damaged, but I do not know how weed can help me. I do not want to vape early in the morning.

shredder

I have lower back pain early in the mornings, obviuosly some nerve damaged, but I do not know how weed can help me. I do not want to vape early in the morning.

Hot shower, a topical rub, heating pad, stretching all could help. I like to walk a bit to loosen up my achy back.

For long term nerve pain, just keeping a level through daily use helped me a lot. It took a while but my leg, ankle, foot pain just faded away after daily use. The pain was caused by pinched nerves in my lower back. Ive had four back surgeries. Mj works very well on nerve pain. Best of luck

arb

Semi shaved ape
Why not?
You say your pain is in the morning then wonder if cannabis can help then finish with you don't want to use cannabis in the morning...........when the pain is occurring?
I have broken five vertebrae in my spine and use cannabis from wake-up to bed time.......beats hell outta opiates.

C No Ego

if you have access to edibles eat one and then go straight to sleep before the effects kick in.... the idea here is your metabolism slows way down over night and the properties in the cannabis suspend until you reawaken your metabolism first thing when you have issue... I found out about this approach in regards to morning sickness and people not wanting to vape in bed first thing ETC.....
you could be really high though but I've found that usually means no pain so take that as you will....
you could possibly do this with other methods like an oil that you ingest but onset of effects from an edible converting over to 11 hydroxy is up to 2 hour for most people...

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
Welcome to the board! Another back/nerve pain sufferer here, blown out L4-L5, nothing left. Been fighting it for over ten years; tens unit, inversion table, MFR, Acupuncture, Yoga, Neurontin, muscle relaxants and opioids. None of this has provided as much relief as vaping cannabis with a heavy hitting vape very evening. I'm not in a legal state, so I stick with sources I know and and helped by both strong 'indicas' and 'sativas.' The strains have names, but I would not put any weight on the next purchase of the same name to be exactly what I had last. Some strains I just go through quicker, but I've been fortunate to fin what I need. The stronger the better and the harder hitting the vape the better.. I'm paticularly partial to my NewVape FlowerPot and the RBT Splinter Z. I hope you are able to find some consistency and relief.

I too have been told a tincture would be great for me, I was told specifically a combination of THC-A and CBD-A.

Last edited:

black1234567

Thank you all for advices! I greatly appreciated this. I do not want to be high in the morning, cause I drive a car to job and I do not want to have problems in the traffic and job. I somehow accustomed to pain and this is the part of my life. I aceept it. I guess some good massage can help restore the nerve. My pain is very strange. It starts early in the morning. When I stand up and do little walking or other activities, when the torso is vertical, the pain goes away and I can go sleep again, but unfortunately, the wanting for sleeps goes away as well :). The pain just robs my morning sleep.

Mookie0608

Northern lights gran daddy purple purple urkel or best of all but difficult to find Mazar I shariff. Don’t get your hopes up though I’m being honest with you. MARIJUANA IS NOT BETTER THEN OPIODS. The added marijuana buzz is better but it does not last nearly as long and you will never get that intense warm fuzzy tingly rush and pain relief. I’m not going into depth but I really wish someone could create the ultimate pain relief that will not kill you maybe some day pot can be that I would like to see it . I’m tired of being in pain pot helps for literally 30 minutes an hour tops for pain. I get so high at night I hit a point I’m in so much pain and so gone in the head I have to call it quits for the night so don’t expect pot even an edible too to be a life saver. It’s more of a life saver for me for relieving stress and anxiety. And to my understanding edibles don’t even give you intense warming tingly body feeling that I love so much. There are a few strains like purple urkel that make hutingle but not intense Its very mild.

Vaporware

Some people have very strong opinions on what does and doesn’t work based on their own experiences, but for better or worse cannabis works differently for different people and it is not necessarily more effective if you use more or use it more often. To get the best results you have to experiment.

I will say though, I’ve been using it for 4 1/2 years for back problems including pretty severe muscle spasms, and after surgery to screw a bone in my hand back together I switched back from oxycodone to cannabis within a few days because cannabis did much more for my back and also helped with my hand.

At least low doses of both can also be taken together with seemingly better results than low doses of either alone, but I never mixed them. https://www.leafly.com/news/health/how-opioids-marijuana-work-together-for-pain-relief

What worked for me in the past was a heavy daily dose of edibles and vapor before bed, but lately (possibly just due to my own changes in when and how I use it) I’ve had trouble taking such large doses without anxiety, so what works best for me now is to start with edibles and supplemental CBD (if they’re not already high in CBD) followed after a while by vaporized flower, preferably also with some CBD. From there I can do anything pretty comfortably as long as I don’t try to really push the limits.

For most people that specific regimen is probably not even necessary, I just have pre-existing anxiety issues and it’s possible to amplify them.

Cannabis has been the single most effective thing I’ve ever taken (when I do it right) at dealing with everything that’s wrong with me - including anxiety, and the side effects have been much less bad than most of the prescription drugs I’ve had.

Those side effects are basically potentially increased anxiety if I do things wrong (“set and setting” can matter too), possibly dry mouth especially if I do it right before bed, maybe some dizziness or unsteadiness for a while if I have a pretty large dose, but if I can just lay down and go with it the closed-eye visuals and other effects can be fun and the rest doesn’t matter if I don’t have to do anything. I haven’t taken enough to get there in a while though and I can still get the pain relief I need.

I wish I had a list of great strain recommendations, but the best I can offer is heavy Indica like Granddaddy Purple and/or high CBD strains, all combined with good whole plant extract edibles (not pure THC extracts unless I combine them with CBD myself). I also have 1:1 CBD:THC topicals that help me.

For me they’re all important, but if I had to choose one for dealing with pain long term, edibles or tinctures would be the way to go. Vaporizing works a lot faster though, so combining them is best for me, and good topicals really can help too.

Oh, and concentrates can deliver a lot to you quickly, so they may be more effective than flower for you. I’m just slowly getting into them myself. It’s easy for me to overdo it with a dab that has to be used up quickly, but using a Dynacoil or other on-demand concentrate method I can get a comfortable dose. I just haven’t done it enough to really compare the medicinal effects to flower yet.

I hope that helps you find what works for you; good luck! :)

WantedPzen

After a road accident, I hit my spine and right hand so hard that I needed surgery. After the surgery, the doctors recommended bandaging my hand with sports tape. Since I didn't know how to do this, I searched the internet for a unique guide-https://dunbarmedical.com/product-category/taping-wrapping-padding/athletic-tape/ . I really started to have many spasms regarding the spine, only that I didn't use medical cannabis but simply calmed down. I know that such drugs are prohibited from this, and I can't use them in my country, but I have heard that they are more effective than painkillers.

Green Kiwi

For me they’re all important, but if I had to choose one for dealing with pain long term, edibles or tinctures would be the way to go. Vaporizing works a lot faster though, so combining them is best for me, and good topicals really can help too.
Thank you for posting this:nod:, this is also my experience!
I'm (very grateful here..:bowdown:)thankfully ,not every day in pain, for me summertime is almost painfree🙏, but when it get's colder ,and windier ouch......
edibles + vaping every two hours seems to make it all more bearable, and more importantly It also keeps the inflammation in the joints down, which means less possible pain! win, win!:2c:.

Top Bottom