Spare batteries for the Ispire Wand

Am thinking of getting an Ispire Wand, but on the fence as to whether I need spare batteries and a standalone charger. (I'll be microdosing alone, once a day, and probably won't need to swap batteries mid-session.)

But when I do need new batteries....

Ispire sells these: 18650 2900 mAh lithium ion batteries.

I went to the 18650 Battery Store looking for an equivalent, but found only one battery with "2900" in the description (Panasonic NCR18650PF 2900 mAh 10A Battery).

To anyone fluent in batter-ese, how important is that "2900"? Would it be better (or safer) just to buy batteries from Ispire?

Thanks!

Last edited:

badbee

Am so glad I asked, and appreciate your help. Thanks very much!
Just so you know, max continous amperage is always the important spec for safety. The capacity of 2900 mWh (milli Watt hour) doesn't affect safety or operation, just how long the cell lasts. You select a cell based on the amperage (always go 25% - 50% higher than what the device absolutely requires) and then get the highest capacity for the dollar. With high end cells, >= 15 A, there will be a limited number of choices.

Thanks for the input, gang. It's a Battery Jungle™ out there.

If one of you can spare another detour, would you have a look at the listing for the Molicel P26A 18650 2600mAh 35A?

Scrolling past "NOTIFY ME WHEN AVAILABLE," it says, "INR-18650-P26A Discontinued - no longer in production."

I assume this refers to this particular battery.....but what does "INR" mean? I ask, because there's no "INR" attached to the original item number.

(Too many apocalyptic warnings about Li-ion safety have made me paranoid about buying the wrong batteries. I'll get over it!)

Thanks again.

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Thanks for the input, gang. It's a Battery Jungle™ out there.

If one of you can spare another detour, would you have a look at the listing for the Molicel P26A 18650 2600mAh 35A?

Scrolling past "NOTIFY ME WHEN AVAILABLE," it says, "INR-18650-P26A Discontinued - no longer in production."

I assume this refers to this particular battery.....but what does "INR" mean? I ask, because there's no "INR" attached to the original item number.

(Too many apocalyptic warnings about Li-ion battery safety have made me paranoid about buying the wrong ones. I'll get over it!)

Thanks again.

Just get these:

If you want to learn about battery chemistry, see the link in my SIG.

RustyOldNail

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
Am thinking of getting an Ispire Wand, but on the fence as to whether I need spare batteries and a standalone charger.

Originally I didn't use a stand alone charger and just charged my wand with a standard low power phone charger via USB C.

What happend over time, is that it couldn't charge the batteries properly(initially I thought I had faulty batteries) but when I put the batteries on a stand alone charger, they charged absolutely fine.

I then bought a more powerful five watt(usb C to usb C) phone charger and it is alot better.

I still occasionally charge the batteries on the stand alone charger though, as it seems to be best way to get them fully charged up.

TheThriftDrifter,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

RustyOldNail

Originally I didn't use a stand alone charger and just charged my wand with a standard low power phone charger via USB C.

What happend over time, is that it couldn't charge the batteries properly(initially I thought I had faulty batteries) but when I put the batteries on a stand alone charger, they charged absolutely fine.

I then bought a more powerful five watt(usb C to usb C) phone charger and it is alot better.

I still occasionally charge the batteries on the stand alone charger though, as it seems to be best way to get them fully charged up.

That’s because your external charger can deliver more amps. then most inexpensive USB wall chargers. For small devices I can use my iPad charger, it’s rated at 2.1 amps.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
@BindlestiffNYC, you will not need a spare charger or batteries only doing a few bowls/cups per day.
A 2.1amp wall wart should be plenty for the Wand, I have done a few tests and have worked out the USB-C cable that comes with the Wand is not very good. It will only supply about 0.7amp to the unit when recharging, I swapped to a decent USB-c cable that came with my newish phone that is fast charge capable and the Wand then drew 1.7amps so charges more than twice as quickly as the standard charge cable.
I really need to get some of those Molicel P28a batteries to try, all reports are that they work a treat and have been reported to increase performance with some vapes.

@BindlestiffNYC, you will not need a spare charger or batteries only doing a few bowls/cups per day.

Thanks for this, LesPlenty. I may, in fact, postpone buying a standalone charger — at least, for now. Never imagined this would be such a pricey hobby! The "modest" expenses attached to my first-ever vape are mounting quickly.

Had never heard the expression "wall wart," and wondered if it might be an arcane Harry Potter reference. Wrong forum! Thanks for the heads-up about the USB-C cable that ships with the Wand. I do have a couple of fast cables, and will put them to use.

RustyOldNail, you've been so helpful. I've added the "XTAR VC4SL Battery Charger" to my Amazon WishList. And when it's time to buy batteries, I'll beeline for the Molicels you recommended.

As for the battery charger thread you linked me to, my big takeaway was your final post:

. . . . the effort in trying to squeeze a little more out of a battery is not worth it to me. I charge between 1-2 amps, and always charge to 4.2 volts, some with advanced chargers like mine, set their charge cutoff to 4.1 volts, this is again an effort to squeeze more overall life out of them, but again, the charts I’ve seen show such a negligible difference, not worth it to me.

At my advanced age, simpler is better! Again, thanks for all your help.

Am hosting out-of-towners guests, and may be MIA till next week. In the meantime, thanks to all who chimed in here.

Hookahhead_MD

Accessory Maker
Thanks for this post, lots of great info and the batteries linked here are exactly what I’ve been looking at. I ordered a wand for a friend 2nd hand and it came without batteries. I am wondering if the 35A P28A’s will heat faster than the stock 20A?

ScyOne

Fun fact, the batteries used in the wand used to be very over rated and an independent battery tester scolded them of the dangers of over rating a battery, so they changed it and rewraped their stock to reflect accurate ratings.

Part of the statement made by Aspire which I find funny "our testing standard has adhered to the Chinese industrial standard which is different from the rest of the world"

When using batteries I am not familliar with, I always check what Mooch has to say cause over rating batteries happens all the time.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I'm a relatively new wand user. I purchased the wand for use with the Tempest, tho I have been using it happily with VapCaps and Revolves since getting it. Now that I have a Tempest, using the Aspire batteries that came along with her it seemed like they were not lasting very long. However, I am finding now that almost whatever other batteries I put in it, especially the LGHG2s I tend to use for my other battery vapes, the battery gauge drops precipitously and I often can't even get through the first heating cycle, but especially not a second or more. I am beginning to think my Wand may be defective because we're talking about good batteries like Molicels and LGs. I have some Molicel 28s on order, to be certain that it's the wand and not the batteries, but the batteries are pretty new and they work fine in other vapes.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I'm tending to buy Molicels these days, rather than the LG's I used to buy. They seemed to last a reasonable amount of time and have the kick vapes need. I tend to use them now in all of my vapes that use 18650s. I have some HG pairs for my DNA mods that I still use with Splinters tho they don't get the use they used to.

Top Bottom