Some ABC info for a first time vap user

duke nukem

Hi folks, excuse me if these questions have probably been answered many times, but i've been searching but didn't find what i was looking for.
I finally decided to get rid of tobacco, and after some research i pulled the trigger for a flowermate cap.
Used it yesterday for the first time and after a few refils i discovered that taking it easy is the way to go: at the beginning i was inhalating too strongly and i had almost no smoke.
Now, i have a few questions:
1) the cap allow to put it in standby, does this affect the weed that is inside? I mean, does the weed keep it's quality after being warmed up more than once?
2) how can you tell that the weed has "finished"? When no more smoke?
3) do you get high the same as with a joint? When i finished my session yesterday i was mildly stoned....but maybe the weed i had wasn't that good.

Cheers!

ginolicious

Cap can still burn weed in standby u Tim the Unit cools off. This is a conduction vape. It heats the walls. So long as the walls are hot the weed burns. If the device is off, yet walls are still hot, the weed will still burn. The weed is done after you see it brown. Darker brown so to speak. It’s all personal preference. Sometime I huck the bowl when it goes light brown.

ginolicious

Vaping weed offers many users a different high then smoking a joint. Many people say vaping weed feels like a cleaner more uplifting high whereas a joint is kore of a heavy feeling. However everyone is different. Vaping weed will get your high. You can always adjust your temperature to a higher temperature to get all the cannabinoids.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Hi folks, excuse me if these questions have probably been answered many times, but i've been searching but didn't find what i was looking for.
I finally decided to get rid of tobacco, and after some research i pulled the trigger for a flowermate cap.
Used it yesterday for the first time and after a few refils i discovered that taking it easy is the way to go: at the beginning i was inhalating too strongly and i had almost no smoke.
Now, i have a few questions:
1) the cap allow to put it in standby, does this affect the weed that is inside? I mean, does the weed keep it's quality after being warmed up more than once?
2) how can you tell that the weed has "finished"? When no more smoke?
3) do you get high the same as with a joint? When i finished my session yesterday i was mildly stoned....but maybe the weed i had wasn't that good.

Cheers!
Congrats on fucking combustion!
With a session vape like the Cap, you can get more out of your herbs if you temp step.
Start at lowest temp (I haven’t used mine in ages, but IIRC there are 3 temps?), and take a nice long draw from it. The first hit will probably not produce huge clouds since it hasn’t heat soaked and the temp is lower. But after that you should get some nice clouds. Once you don’t see visible clouds, you can step up to next highest level and repeat. If you decide to turn it off in between levels, make sure to take a hit right after you turn off to get another hit AND to help cool down heater faster so it stops cooking.
You are done with a bowl when 1) you are on highest temp and little to no vape comes out and/or 2) you can no longer tolerate the taste.

The clouds with a flower vape will never be as big as the clouds with combustion, so it is something you will have to get used to.
Also, with combustion, part of the high comes from the carbon monoxide? or whatever it is that fire gives off.
You may miss this at first - but it is basically poison, and once you forget about it, you won’t really miss it.
However, if you continue to toggle between smoking and vaping, you may continue to crave the smoke high (some have this issue, others do not)

The Cap is a good entry level vape, but it is just that, and there are many other vapes to try out that will give you different highs, tastes, efficiency. When you are ready to take the next step - there are many a vape to try next!

Last edited:

GoldenBud

It's hard to find the right vaporizer for a person, it requires some reading and video watching. BUT, I can tell you that Dynavap VapCap is going to take you much higher than any joint you smoked. The stronger devices than VapCap are called '100% convection' devices and they act like "bong head combustion" not sure that's what you need from beginning.. explore the videos and comments etc' and don't go cheap on convection devices, good luck ;)

Last edited:

duke nukem

Congrats on fucking combustion!
With a session vape like the Cap, you can get more out of your herbs if you temp step.
Start at lowest temp (I haven’t used mine in ages, but IIRC there are 3 temps?), and take a nice long draw from it. The first hit will probably not produce huge clouds since it hasn’t heat soaked and the temp is lower. But after that you should get some nice clouds. Once you don’t see visible clouds, you can step up to next highest level and repeat. If you decide to turn it off in between levels, make sure to take a hit right after you turn off to get another hit AND to help cool down heater faster so it stops cooking.
You are done with a bowl when 1) you are on highest temp and little to no vape comes out and/or 2) you can no longer tolerate the taste.

The clouds with a flower vape will never be as big as the clouds with combustion, so it is something you will have to get used to.
Also, with combustion, part of the high comes from the carbon monoxide? or whatever it is that fire gives off.
You may miss this at first - but it is basically poison, and once you forget about it, you won’t really miss it.
However, if you continue to toggle between smoking and vaping, you may continue to crave the smoke high (some have this issue, others do not)

The Cap is a good entry level vape, but it is just that, and there are many other vapes to try out that will give you different highs, tastes, efficiency. When you are ready to take the next step - there are many a vape to try next!
Mate thanx, this is the kind of guide i was looking for.
As first try i went directly to the max temperature (yes, the cap has 3 settings) because i didn't feel the lower temp.....but i then discovered that i was inhaling too strongly. I'll give a try to the lower to high.
I believe that at the beginning i will miss something compared to joints, but recently i had strong cough and i decided that no more tobacco.
;)

duke nukem

Temp stepping might not be rewarding coming from a joint though, no reason you can't just use the highest setting, fine grind type pack, 3/4 full, you shouldn't need the highest setting, but that could definitely get you closer to what you're chasing @duke nukem
It's what i did till now. Probably as a new comer it's more difficult to appreciate the lower settings.....might be something that i'll try better when i'll be more used to vaping.

duke nukem

It's hard to find the right vaporizer for a person, it requires some reading and video watching. BUT, I can tell you that Dynavap VapCap is going to take you much higher than any joint you smoked. The stronger devices than VapCap are called '100% convection' devices and they act like "bong head combustion" not sure that's what you need from beginning.. explore the videos and comments etc' and don't go cheap on convection devices, good luck ;)
I was not sure that i would like vaping, this is why i wanted an affordable device, still with good reviews, and be prepared to switch to something better if i see that it's the way. Up to now i think that i can survive without rolling :lol: but i smoke since ages (i am 50) and seems that i like/need the "stronger devices" you are talking about. Cheers

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
It's what i did till now. Probably as a new comer it's more difficult to appreciate the lower settings.....might be something that i'll try better when i'll be more used to vaping.

Yeah but also a better vape lol

Definitely you want to do a slow sip inhale because you will overpower the heater if you are really hitting it since it is so weak...

Seriously check out vivant vleafgo it is like $70 with a code, similar budget type vape except it is instant on demand pure convection, much more powerful, and you can really rip it, even the lowest setting is very strong!

duke nukem

Yeah but also a better vape lol

Definitely you want to do a slow sip inhale because you will overpower the heater if you are really hitting it since it is so weak...

Seriously check out vivant vleafgo it is like $70 with a code, similar budget type vape except it is instant on demand pure convection, much more powerful, and you can really rip it, even the lowest setting is very strong!
Having a look at it. Thanx mate ;)

Vaporware

The only bit of info I’d add about the vleaf go is I’ve heard it’s a bit harsh natively. You might want to run it through water/glass for a more comfortable experience.

Alternatively, VapCaps do work well for a lot of people switching from joints, and if you have more money to put into it there are other options like the Firewood 7 or TinyMight that I think are worth the extra money.

Also, there are great desktops out there if you don’t need portability.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
The only bit of info I’d add about the vleaf go is I’ve heard it’s a bit harsh natively. You might want to run it through water/glass for a more comfortable experience.

Alternatively, VapCaps do work well for a lot of people switching from joints, and if you have more money to put into it there are other options like the Firewood 7 or TinyMight that I think are worth the extra money.

Also, there are great desktops out there if you don’t need portability.

Yeah but I was trying not to send them down a rabbit hole haha just a chance to try on demand convection counterpart to the session conduction they have, both very cheap, also sounded like they were using it walking around, and a joint smoker may not have problems with the harshness I mean it's not like the cap is so smooth? But yes I don't use my v-leaf go because I don't like the mouthpiece and such, I have a lot of nicer options, but yeah I don't know I just wanted to say that counterpoint lol obviously tinymight and firewood 7 are my favorite vapes ;)

Vaporware

Yeah, I don’t want to make the OP think that they can’t get good results from something cheaper, but if they happen to have the money and interest to try something even better I’d rather they know those options are out there instead of possibly being disappointed again and just going back to smoking.

@duke nukem If either the vleaf go or VapCap looks good to you, I think they’re both good and different options that you can get relatively cheaply and they’re probably a better place to start than where you are now.

If you have the money to try something on the higher end I think it’s worth it, but if not or if you want to just try something else that’s not too expensive without looking into too many different options, those 2 are good places to start.

duke nukem

Yeah, I don’t want to make the OP think that they can’t get good results from something cheaper, but if they happen to have the money and interest to try something even better I’d rather they know those options are out there instead of possibly being disappointed again and just going back to smoking.

@duke nukem If either the vleaf go or VapCap looks good to you, I think they’re both good and different options that you can get relatively cheaply and they’re probably a better place to start than where you are now.

If you have the money to try something on the higher end I think it’s worth it, but if not or if you want to just try something else that’s not too expensive without looking into too many different options, those 2 are good places to start.
Looks like there is really a world to discover with vap devices, will have a look also to this option. I don't have a problem with budget, but i like to have a portable and cancealable device.
Just to have an idea....this might sound weird, but let's see if we can arrange it just for me to have an idea:
can you give a note from zero (being the worse) to 10 (best) to these mentioned devices including mine, the flowermate cap so i can get a parameter of what i have and what i can get?

duke nukem,

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
Looks like there is really a world to discover with vap devices, will have a look also to this option. I don't have a problem with budget, but i like to have a portable and cancealable device.
Just to have an idea....this might sound weird, but let's see if we can arrange it just for me to have an idea:
can you give a note from zero (being the worse) to 10 (best) to these mentioned devices including mine, the flowermate cap so i can get a parameter of what i have and what i can get?
If budget not such an option you have many choices.
My pick of the bunch mentioned would be the tinymight with WPA and j hook or spiked stem. Pure convection with temp stepping.
It's a beast of a portable..... Being a past smoker I reckon you will find the hit you need.... I did.
Vapcaps are good but require an induction heater (imo) and that takes you to similar money as tinymight....
Get both and job done. And then start to think about desktops.....
Good luck....

Chicken No Name,
Reactions: duke nukem

vapviking

Old & In the Way
You're going to get a very wide range of answers; there are so many options these days!
I hope you can bear in mind your goal (we hope) of fucking combustion.
I was a lifetime smoker of joints and seems like millions of cigarettes, and I'm here to tell you, life will be qualitatively better after your transition, with no feeling of sacrifice or loss.
Your highs will not be any lesser experience, in my opinion, even enhanced.
As a bonus everything will taste better, including air (if you can get the good stuff).

As has been suggested, try to go smoke-free for some extended period (a week? two?). The taste for combusted material goes away, and you can appreciate vaped cannabis flavor more.

Of course you should not derail your own efforts with a vape tool that's not giving you great performance, and yes there are a couple of less expensive ones to try out (some mentioned already). Sorry, I don't know your flowermate cap, but I do give you credit for moving forward, for trying.

As you are finding, individual vape models usually have to be 'learned'; what is the method that works best, and best for for you? Looing at reviews can be helpful. Varying draw speed, tightness of bowl pack, grind, temperature, etc., etc. are all factors.
There are many, many methods, some far more complicated than others. The one that did it for me was the first one I ever tried, a Pax1. Very good results without much fucking around or extra gadgetry. You might find a used Pax2 for reasonable $. It is not a Ferrari, maybe more like an Audi sedan (a dependable one).

I've never had a problem spending some of the canna funds on vapes. When you consider the price paid for the bud, a couple/few hundred on a tool that will last for years and bring out the best in the bud seems reasonable.

Best of luck!

duke nukem

If budget not such an option you have many choices.
My pick of the bunch mentioned would be the tinymight with WPA and j hook or spiked stem. Pure convection with temp stepping.
It's a beast of a portable..... Being a past smoker I reckon you will find the hit you need.... I did.
Vapcaps are good but require an induction heater (imo) and that takes you to similar money as tinymight....
Get both and job done. And then start to think about desktops.....
Good luck....
You're going to get a very wide range of answers; there are so many options these days!
I hope you can bear in mind your goal (we hope) of fucking combustion.
I was a lifetime smoker of joints and seems like millions of cigarettes, and I'm here to tell you, life will be qualitatively better after your transition, with no feeling of sacrifice or loss.
Your highs will not be any lesser experience, in my opinion, even enhanced.
As a bonus everything will taste better, including air (if you can get the good stuff).

As has been suggested, try to go smoke-free for some extended period (a week? two?). The taste for combusted material goes away, and you can appreciate vaped cannabis flavor more.

Of course you should not derail your own efforts with a vape tool that's not giving you great performance, and yes there are a couple of less expensive ones to try out (some mentioned already). Sorry, I don't know your flowermate cap, but I do give you credit for moving forward, for trying.

As you are finding, individual vape models usually have to be 'learned'; what is the method that works best, and best for for you? Looing at reviews can be helpful. Varying draw speed, tightness of bowl pack, grind, temperature, etc., etc. are all factors.
There are many, many methods, some far more complicated than others. The one that did it for me was the first one I ever tried, a Pax1. Very good results without much fucking around or extra gadgetry. You might find a used Pax2 for reasonable $. It is not a Ferrari, maybe more like an Audi sedan (a dependable one).

I've never had a problem spending some of the canna funds on vapes. When you consider the price paid for the bud, a couple/few hundred on a tool that will last for years and bring out the best in the bud seems reasonable.

Best of luck!
Thanx guys!
So much stuff to test and learn.
So this is my plan: in the next days i will be able to test more my entry level device, mean time will dig a bit into the devices suggested here and then give a try with different hardware. Actually i am not disappointed with the cap at all, but i will be able to tell better when i have the chance to try with better weed.....so unlucky that it happened just now to find only garbage....:\
But i am sure that it's a one way ticket, not willing at all to go back to tobacco, so i MUST find the right tool :D
Can't wait to experiment the "new hights".
Cheers folks!! :)

Vaporware

@duke nukem I haven’t used the flowermate cap, but I would rate the similar type I have as maybe a 5. It gets the job done, but it’s slow, wastes vapor between hits, and some of the materials in the air path are a little questionable (most of these just hurt the flavor, but with some plasticy devices I worry about health risks).

I would put the Firewood 7 at probably an 8-8.5. It does a great job, but there are some things I don’t love about it like the somewhat restricted draw. It’s not too bad though, and I still use it a lot. Apart from concentrate cartridges, it’s also my most pocketable battery powered option (until my Nomad’s ready).

On this scale I decided to just make the best desktop I’ve tried a 10. The FlowerPot has some solid competition, but very few portables are capable of putting out that much vapor with such open airflow. It’s almost like just breathing in normally rather than breathing through a straw or something, and in general I really prefer the open draw.

VapCaps are a little harder to put on that scale. They can give a hard hit and they can extract fast or slow if you’re good at heating them, but if you try for slower extraction the flavor may be gone before you get everything else out of your flower and the draw is fairly restricted.

The upside of the restricted draw is that you can use a “mouth pull” technique to suck vapor into your mouth before you inhale it. For people who are good at this and like doing it I think it puts VapCaps a step above where they would be if you could only use them with a long slow draw (which is a little hard on my throat with these).

I think I would give VapCaps about a 7-8, but some people hate it and some think it’s the best thing in the world so I think it’s worth trying. Plus it’s nearly indestructible and there’s no problem getting it wet, etc. They’re not my top choice in most situations, but I expect I’ll always have at least one (and probably an induction heater since I prefer them to torches).

@Shit Snacks I guess you were right…? :worms: :rofl:

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
Just wanted to chime in re the dynavap.
It is also possible to hit it with the port wide open and get monster hits, I find it uber harsh this way though, but joint smokers don't seem to be bothered by it.
It's a heat it super hot and draw like a mofo sort of deal. :spliff:

TheThriftDrifter,
Reactions: Vaporware
Top Bottom