Smoke VS vapor : couch locking

tgvp

One of the effects I miss the less from when I used to smoke joints is the couch locking. Don't get me wrong, I still love to get lazy and enjoy doing nothing, but its even better not to be forced to. How many times did I got asleep on the couch at 11PM like some lazy potato. But since I only vape, I can just continue through the nights like in my 20s. Well, not like in my 20s as I used to smoke a lot, but you get the idea.

By some excellent guide I read somewhere on this forum, I learned that the sleepy/drowsy effect was mainly due to the asphyxiant gazes, CO and CO2. I accepted that as fully logic, by losing thoses gazes by not burning anymore, I lost that undesirable effect. But then I realized that explanation only do not stand, because if it was only and purely the hypoxia that caused the effect, cigarette smokers should feel the same, but event if I've never been a cigarette smoker, I don't think they look sleepy after their carcinogen shots. So what am I missing?

Is it the nicotine that counterbalance the sleepiness? Or maybe burning weed transform part of the THCa directly in CBN while the vaporization more efficiently transform it only in THC?

Robert-in-YEG

One of the effects I miss the less from when I used to smoke joints is the couch locking. Don't get me wrong, I still love to get lazy and enjoy doing nothing, but its even better not to be forced to. How many times did I got asleep on the couch at 11PM like some lazy potato. But since I only vape, I can just continue through the nights like in my 20s. Well, not like in my 20s as I used to smoke a lot, but you get the idea.

By some excellent guide I read somewhere on this forum, I learned that the sleepy/drowsy effect was mainly due to the asphyxiant gazes, CO and CO2. I accepted that as fully logic, by losing thoses gazes by not burning anymore, I lost that undesirable effect. But then I realized that explanation only do not stand, because if it was only and purely the hypoxia that caused the effect, cigarette smokers should feel the same, but event if I've never been a cigarette smoker, I don't think they look sleepy after their carcinogen shots. So what am I missing?

Is it the nicotine that counterbalance the sleepiness? Or maybe burning weed transform part of the THCa directly in CBN while the vaporization more efficiently transform it only in THC?
I don't know why it happens, but I agree 100% that vaping does not cause 'couch lock' for me. I do get psychoactive effects, but those effects are different than smoking.

Not being couch locked changed my world. I have more energy and I get more done. I do miss being made incredibly sleepy from heavy sessions, but I am OK with that.

A while back I wanted to try smoking cannabis again, and I just couldn't do it. I never liked smoking to begin with, and now after vaping, I will never combust again.

Robert-in-YEG

298352494-.jpg

Cannabiker

Eat your ABV. That's where the couchlock lives.

Robert-in-YEG

I've tried that with limited results, because I find it creates digestive problems for me.

ABV is something I have lots of. It has been collected since I started vaping. Timing is coming for me to make some oil or something out of what has been collected.

Robert-in-YEG

happy-quotes-on-attitude.jpg

Robert-in-YEG,

Robert-in-YEG

I find the vaping dry herb makes me more tired than joint.

David
That doesn't surprise me. Everything about vaping and cannabis seems to be very personal and unique. There may be similarities, but they are meaningless. For me, it even depends on the day. Sometimes things are good, but sometimes they are really good. I don't know why.

We are all unique. That to me is one of the joys of life and creation.

Robert-in-YEG

"I want to be different. Everyone does. Everyone is. But there are two kinds of different: There are those people who love attention. They need it. And they are noticed because they try to be. But there are those that do things differently, quietly, and are noticed not because they try to be, but because they are special. It is this kind of person that I can tolerate; this kind of person that I admire; this kind of person that I aim to be."
- Gregoire

tgvp

It's true that the ABV I cooked into cannaoil had a more sedative effect. From what I read, it's due to the THC having been turned to CBN by the heat and storage time. So that combined with the asphyxiant gazes may be the 2 progenitors of the couchlocking syndrome.

I don't know why it happens, but I agree 100% that vaping does not cause 'couch lock' for me. I do get psychoactive effects, but those effects are different than smoking.
That really has been the game changer for me (that and the taste), feeling the pleasure of the psychoactive effects without getting lost into the furniture

tgvp,
Reactions: Jill NYC

tgvp

Nah I can get couch lock even from heavy low temp vaping a sativa lol all relative!
I can get couch locked too, but only if I decide its my plan, I'm not forced to anymore. That being said, you're probably right that the strains vaped may be part of the answer too, as I put more emphasis on smell now that I vape as opposed to the times I used to smoke as long it got me higher than the sky (cause let's be honest, talking about taste when your mouth is full of tar and ash is a little bit overrated), so maybe my favorite tastes are those associated with strains that are less sedative? As I live in a country where there is only black market weed (or legal CBD), I can't confirm that as I only get what my broker has to sell :)

Zipford

There's too many variables to control for, as between past and current experiences, but I find that vaping allows you to control some aspects that help avoid going overboard (low temps, microdosing). You can microdose with a dugout and bat, but I feel like with vaping it sort of takes a conscious choice to go overboard now. I also don't mix with alcohol, which probably helps.

florduh

ABV is something I have lots of. It has been collected since I started vaping. Timing is coming for me to make some oil or something out of what has been collected.

Use it to make topicals. I don't really like eating ABV either, but I hate wasting it.

florduh,
Reactions: Siebter

Robert-in-YEG

I'm with @Shit Snacks, I can totally get deeply couchlocked with a vaporizer. I'm not sure if I could have successfully switched if that wasn't the case. There's no magic cannabinoid that only will be released when being combusted, all the pyrolitic byproducts like CO² don't occur in amounts that'd affect our mood either.
I can't get the same level of couch lock out of vaping only dry cannabis.

Two days ago, I got pretty messed up, but I had edibles, some shatter, plus my normal daily vaping. Yes, there was lots of couch lock and it was intentional. This is part having a high tolerance, and that vaping just doesn't hit me the same as when I smoked.

This does not mean that vaping is ineffective. Vaping is personal. Cannabis personal. Some days cannabis hits me harder than others. We are all unique.

There is no way I will ever smoke cannabis again; I just hate it. I didn't like it 40 years ago, have never liked it, and now after vaping, combustion is forever fucked for me.

Now, I am looking at new ways of using cannabis. How I consume that cannabis may evolve and change, but I highly doubt it will be smoked.

Robert-in-YEG

do-good-and-good-will-come-unknown-quote.png

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I can't get the same level of couch lock out of vaping only dry cannabis.

Two days ago, I got pretty messed up, but I had edibles, some shatter, plus my normal daily vaping. Yes, there was lots of couch lock and it was intentional. This is part having a high tolerance, and that vaping just doesn't hit me the same as when I smoked.

This does not mean that vaping is ineffective. Vaping is personal. Cannabis personal. Some days cannabis hits me harder than others. We are all unique.

There is no way I will ever smoke cannabis again; I just hate it. I didn't like it 40 years ago, have never liked it, and now after vaping, combustion is forever fucked for me.

Now, I am looking at new ways of using cannabis. How I consume that cannabis may evolve and change, but I highly doubt it will be smoked.

Robert-in-YEG

View attachment 15264

Yeah but I still say you need to get some heavier hitting vaporizers in your collection to enhance your frame of reference :tup:

Robert-in-YEG

Yeah but I still say you need to get some heavier hitting vaporizers in your collection to enhance your frame of reference :tup:
Just give it time. Still have VAS issues, and the long term prognosis is damn dim.

Robert-in-YEG

"The argument for collectivism is simple if false; it is an immediate emotional argument. The argument for individualism is subtle and sophisticated; it is an indirect rational argument. And the emotional faculties are more highly developed in most men than the rational, paradoxically or especially even in those who regard themselves as intellectuals."

- Milton Friedman, introduction to F.A. Hayek's The Road to Serfdom

Vaporware

I’ve never smoked, but the combination of edibles and vapor seems to give me the most “couch lock” type heavy effects. I think conduction vaporizers also do that to me more than convection, but any of it can put me to sleep with a large enough dose. :zzz:

"The road to serfdom is paved with capitalists’ paychecks and trod by those willing to sacrifice their labor at the altar of capitalist greed."

“Also, Milton, way to be a divisive, condescending dick and still get it wrong.”

- Me

Siebter

Less soul, more mind

Yes and no, I mean I totally understand where you are coming from and agree that there's a ton of parameters that make our experiences hard to compare – but I (once more) agree with @Shit Snacks here... your collection of vapes is solid and everything, but from what I remember you haven't had any experiences with those really heavy hitting devices yet, and given your tolerance you do still have a lot to learn (or experience) to get the full picture of what vaporization can do.

For me vaping is *much* more effective, and I'm not only looking at high per gram. For example when I was still smoking, I had a much harder time with developing a high tolerance. This has totally changed with vaping, to the point where it's not even an issue anymore – it's kinda weird, when I was still combusting I loved smoking overdosed joints which eventually pushed my tolerance out of reach, with vaping I soon moved to the microdosing site of things and don't even have to think about my tolerance anymore. Honestly, my *average* vape high feels much deeper, more satisfying and longer lasting than 99% of the smoking highs I had.

Flow

Hi all !
For me vapin'-couch-lock is real. It just depends on the device i use.

With OGBrick from SBL, i get a couch lock if i go far in "browning my botanicals". The browner it goes, the deeper the couch-lock...

Dynavap does not get me to that point in a single bowl but i noticed i can get a similar high in going far with extraction..

My other vape is a SSV, i do not get couch lock with it, but it's set to micro-dose... That's my most "dangerous vape" when i'm a bit "fast-minded" and want to slow down... 3 or more bowls and i'm way higher than a kite !

David Root

For me, it takes more material vaping than it would smoking.
Its worth the trade off so far, because my health.

Vaping makes me more tired. On a tolerance day, I am surprised how awake I am at bed time.
Smoking makes me want to do things like bike ride.....Clean the garage....

Its a compromise just like anything else.

Still learning the Flower pot.

David

Flower pot B1, WeedEater
Xmax Pro V3
Crafty+
Dynavap

David Root,

David Root

Reading what evaporates at what temp, sometimes I think that last (highest temp) hit is the one that puts me to sleep.

David
61 and smiling!

David Root,
Reactions: Flow

Vaporware

@David Root Have you tried waiting longer for effects before using more? A lot of people say effects from vaporizing come on slower, and if you end up using more and getting more tired from it that may be partly because you hadn’t felt the full effects from less and you ended up using more than you needed?

If that’s not the case, using lower temps and maybe finding the right (convection?) vaporizer to use early in the day and moving to higher temps at night could also help to keep your energy up better.

Vaporware,

Robert-in-YEG

Reading what evaporates at what temp, sometimes I think that last (highest temp) hit is the one that puts me to sleep.

David
61 and smiling!
I think you might be mostly right.

Robert-in-YEG

"I bet Einstein turned himself all sorts of colors before he invented the light bulb."
~ Homer Simpson

Robert-in-YEG,

tgvp

As I'm not a native english speaker, I wonder if I have the same definition of couch locking.

I was referring specifically on the fact that when I used to smoke at home (on the balcony, I'm not an animal :p ) and watch TV, I often ended up with eyelids slowly closing before midnight. The same when having some beers in a bar, after a few joints, I just got sleepy and slowly retracted from conversation, until going home tired.

Now that I vaporize, I get pretty much energized, so talkative when I'm out in the bar. At home I can keep up with my wife and all the series she watches.

And I can even do something I used to hate, getting high and being able to work (at home, thx covid). I'm clearly not more intelligent when I'm high, just more creative and if I managed to write down a precise to-do list before getting high in order to stay focus, I can even do some pretty good job, something I was totally unable to do when smoking as I would quickly get bored and tired...

But that indeed may have something to do with the kind of vaps I use. At home, my favorite and first love (dont tell my wife) used to be a Volcano and my outdoor choice is a DynaVap. And now that I introduced myself to the Holy Gospel of the Rosin, it has become my home-choice. The only other vaporizers I tested are a Mighty and some off brand chinese product, but not enough to assert if those could be considered heavy hitters.

tgvp,
Reactions: florduh

hinglemccringleberry

I can confirm instances of major couch lock from vaping copious amounts.
I'm fact, my first few times vaping when I got my first vaporizer (goboof Alfa), I vaped more than I usually do because I was experimenting. I got so chair-locked that the entire evening passed in what felt like just a few minutes. I started the session it was daylight outside. At some point I realized it was pitch black outside and I had been sitting there the whole time.
For me, energized vs lazy/stuck has much more to do with the amount of THC consumed, than it does the delivery method.

Last edited:
Top Bottom