Silicone adapters for titanium on glass connections?

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
So, I just got that nice D020 rig and got sucked into oil rig work :ko:

I want to use a domeless titanium oil pan directly on the female joint of the bong so as to avoid using the male to male adapter which just sticks out too much for my tastes.

The thing is that apparently titanium stuff can expand with heat so, if going into female glass joints, some vendors advise using an adapter so that if there is breakage you only lose the adapter.

I don't want to use one of those sidecar/ banger things which also offend my aesthetics :rolleyes:

I could use the glass 19 to 14mm female reducer that came with the rig but I wonder if someone had made a silicone version of this? it seems to me that the flexibility of silicone would be the ideal solution to protecting glass from expanding titanium?

Or maybe a piece or two of the right diameter silicone tubing would work?

Haze Mister,

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Is using a glass adapter enough protection? I'm thinking, if the titanium expands and pushes into the adapter enough to break it, then the glass around the adapter can also crack... has this ever happened?
The d020 is not expensive but it took weeks to arrive and it's a nice piece...

Haze Mister,

tepictoton

Should be fine using the adaptor.

Not sure what nail exactly you are using, but up untill now I had never had any glass break om me from using a nail and torch.

The adaptor will give you like aan extra back up, just in case. But you should be fine.

Be sure to use a carb cap, they make al the difference;)

And that d-020...brings me back. Try getting an fc-710 aka difusion pump for oil, it is a flavor chasers best friend:brow:

tepictoton,

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
D-nail has made, IMO, the best effort towards something like this and also IMO, is completely garbage and frankly a bad idea to begin with. They obviously by their nature add mass to the joint and effect the fitment and sizing (much more then you'd think from insanely thin teflon) that makes pieces not fit tight or stable and in several cases for myself anyways, not fit at all.

http://www.d-nail.com/d-nail-ptfe-joint-protector

Ive said this many times before and still firmly stand behind it......

Use nails with female joints, and always utilize direct injection setups where available.
Use pieces with female joints,
Use low profile male/male adapters with NO DROP DOWN, IMO drop downs look like absolute crap by their very nature and every single one screams BREAK ME!!!, what you want literally looks like two male joints welded together.

This way you have total thermal protection, (you can EASILY hold the male/male joint in your hand when the nail is hot) and most, IME ~90% of the reclaim gets caught on the joint walls and never makes it to the piece.

And even though it goes against my advice about female joints, I second the recommendation of the fc-710 (if flavor is your main goal) or any other diffusion pump rig, although AFAIK they all have male joints.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I'm also all about direct injection as much as possible.

Basically I am using a nail with a female joint, then a male-male adapter into the d020.

I want to reduce the height of the rig ( at the moment the nail is a bit too close to my face when I use it) and remove the male-male joint from the system by using a nail with a male joint going into the d020....

I'm surprised nobody has made a silicone 18mm to 14m adapter.

It wouldn't be in the air path and I don't see anything to worry about... if it makes a seal then there won't be any air flowing past it, and even if it does it will be cold air....

what you want literally looks like two male joints welded together.

Yes! Can someone make that already!

All the male-male connectors I see out there are not low profile.. they are too long and they have that unneeded ridge in the middle.

@tepictoton : I use a domeless titanium oil pan... I don't see any need for a carb cap. I just have a dab and inhale it in one go.

Haze Mister,

tepictoton

If you are able to get a male nail and a 18 to 14mm lowpro reducer you get the nail out of your face, and have an extra layer of protection for your glass. This is what I did when having the same issue, nail in face, with the d-020. Never had the reducer brake. (example: https://m.ebay.es/itm/Glass-14mm-Fe...889822?hash=item213e39b41e:g:WasAAOSwJWla58O0)

I understand what you are saying about the carb. I at first did not see any need for it either.

But then I tried it, and have never looked back. I discovered flavours I did not know yet, and I for sure did not taste them before in my extracts. It allows you to lower your temperature, and as such lets you taste more of the subtile more volatile terpenes in your extracts.

And the better the extract, the bigger this difference between a high uncarbed dab and a lower temp carbed dab will be.

Now enjoy playing around and try different heat-up and cooldown times to find your sweet spot.

Be carefull with too high of a temperature, best is to try to go as low with the temperature as you can. Too high and you will be coughing and get a burned flavor, because you will 'combust' your oils.

In my humble opinion it is much better to loose a few dabs because your temp was too low and almost no vapor was formed(but you still get loads af flavor) then to go to high and be coughing up a lung and have an unpleasant taste in your mouth.

And if you still need to buy the male nail, then you might consider getting a quartz banger in stead of titanium, because that would also be a step in the direction of more flavorful dabs.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Cool, thanks, good to know! My d020 came with a low profile 18 to 14mm adapter just like that one in your link.
I've been getting the nail just about red hot then waiting about 10 seconds before dabbing.. it's always super smooth and never burned.

Haze Mister,

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Cool, thanks, good to know! My d020 came with a low profile 18 to 14mm adapter just like that one in your link.
I've been getting the nail just about red hot then waiting about 10 seconds before dabbing.. it's always super smooth and never burned.

IMO, its because you don't know what smooth and not burned REALLY tastes like, I was exactly the same way, loooooooved super hot globbers off titanium, got me ripped and still to this day nothing can kick me in the chest like a hot ti dab.........but lower temps off better nails, by far the superior experience, I can't stress enough the difference it'll make, you'll taste your materials for the first time and you'll really see what smooth hits are with an enail......sounds like I'm hyping it but I promise I'm not.

To each his own but IMO, the investment value of a few grams of good material, put into your equipment, will yield rewards that far outweigh a few grams of material.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
My Silicone Reducers may work for your needs, although I'm concerned about the temperature.

The maximum safe temperature of silicone is around 450 to 475F, a titanium nail expanding will far exceed 500F if I'm understanding your setup, that will likely damage any silicone rubber regardless of where you find it.

Delta3DStudios,
Reactions: pxl_jockey

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm waiting for some kind of enail design that is fully enclosed in a heat shield and can be safely dropped on a carpet... but there's something to be said for not having to use electricity or being attached to a cable....

If I leave my nail to cool down for much longer than I already do then some of the dab is not vaporised so I don't think I'm using too high a temperature. I do know what burned material tastes like, but I guess it 's about not destroying the terpenes.

I'm going to try a quartz nail and see what it tastes like, but the quickness and durability of titanium is going to be hard to beat...

Haze Mister,

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm waiting for some kind of enail design that is fully enclosed in a heat shield and can be safely dropped on a carpet... but there's something to be said for not having to use electricity or being attached to a cable....

If I leave my nail to cool down for much longer than I already do then some of the dab is not vaporised so I don't think I'm using too high a temperature. I do know what burned material tastes like, but I guess it 's about not destroying the terpenes.

I'm going to try a quartz nail and see what it tastes like, but the quickness and durability of titanium is going to be hard to beat...

FWIW I don't think I know anyone who has gone back to ti after trying quartz, SIC or saph. I used to say the same things and have the same concerns as you do but trust me, once you really taste your dabs, ti is done with. Also I dunno if Id hold me breath for a true enail (simply too much heat energy) to be able to be tossed hot on carpet but many other portable and convection desktops could.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
To each his own but IMO, the investment value of a few grams of good material, put into your equipment, will yield rewards that far outweigh a few grams of material.

THIS^100% TRUTH. I’ve never done a dab yet but IME this statement applies equally to the cannabis vaporization game in general. I’m tight but still came to this realisation fairly quickly thanks to y’all.

@Haze Mister Please come back and tell us what you think about quartz! :tup:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I just tried a ceramic nail because it would be my preferred material in theory, but it doesn't seem to work that well and takes a lot of firing to keep clean... No noticeable improvement in flavour (using material of known high quality) and I tried a low temp dab too ... Will try quartz next.

Haze Mister,
Top Bottom