Scorched Banger Cleaning

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Yesterday my new Rio arrived. First time I've ever used a banger--what fun. But I put too much shatter in and then burned it when I reheated--it was like my fifth or sixth dab of the afternoon/evening. Dry qtips were easily cleaning out the residue until that point. I let some iso sit in the bottom of the banger, but it didn't seem to help. How do I remove the scorching, or is it something that comes with the banger territory? Thanks for any advice.

Polarbearboy,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I've always gotten that last bit of residue off my bangers simply by torching them.
Hit it hard enough with a torch, and it will become perfectly clean.
You'll need a torch you can move around to get the sides.
You may have to get it red-hot.

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I do not recommend scorching your banger red hot to clean, it will eventually chaz/fog up.

Use any other method for cleaning and your bangers will last years in perfect condition.

I also prefer cleaning at low temps with distilled water and qtips.

Pushing 6 re-heats is also pushing your luck. Load a much smaller amount and stop after 2-3. Qtip while still wet, if you push it you will scorch. It will become easier as you gain experience and learn your equipment.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Yesterday my new Rio arrived. First time I've ever used a banger--what fun. But I put too much shatter in and then burned it when I reheated--it was like my fifth or sixth dab of the afternoon/evening. Dry qtips were easily cleaning out the residue until that point. I let some iso sit in the bottom of the banger, but it didn't seem to help. How do I remove the scorching, or is it something that comes with the banger territory? Thanks for any advice.

If you're careful enough with a (pencil) torch there's no need to go red-hot to remove the crusties...

But unless I forget about a dab (yeah, that never happens...:razz:), these days I prefer to try and head all that off by dropping low-temp, somewhat sealed inserts in a banger with a wide open, fully welded intake. Super easy to swab out pretty much everything quickly and effectively between each dab.

A coil and inserts makes my life so much easier...

Last edited:

SixStringToker

Naked member
I haven't found anything that several aggressive boils of Dark Crystal (with banger and torch in-hand) won't remove. It's kinda fun to watch, too. If you torch the worst spots directly to bring the Dark Crystal to a boil, you can watch the boiling start underneath the crud and often lift it right off. As @FlyingLow mentioned, this also works with just plain distilled water, tho I find that it's quicker with Dark Crystal.

Just bring it to a boil VERY slowly until you get a feel for how it froths up. If you heat it too quickly, it'll shoot up out of the banger with an explosive pop.

Kins

I've heard or read that distilled water works better than iso when cleaning between dabs. Right I use 99.9 percent iso. I think it's 99. something though and I dip iso in a clean. As of right now I go threw a ton of q-tips. Reason for that is I think I spend a bit too much time cleaning the banger. Don't people just clean up a little between dabs instead of trying to clean it till it's completely clean?. I think I might be being obsessive over it but I'm not sure. From what I've read people used to even "season" their bangers by taking a few dabs first and not cleaning. Same basic idea with seasoning a pan. Once the banger was seasoned it even made the dabs taste better. This is all just what I've learned and I haven't been dabbing very long at all. Could I get some opinions on this?. I haven't tried seasoning a banger and I still would like to learn more from "seasoned" dabbers.

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
@Kins - My :2c:. I find no reason to "season" quartz. I use one q-tip (both ends) after a dab. I clean the banger with BS/DW every couple weeks. Dab temps are low, ~460F surface temp and my enail idles at 310F surface temp (which I find helps keep from cooking on any left-overs). Torch dabs are cold starts. There are a couple in the house that dab - maybe 5-10 [non-glutinous] dabs a day. I tend to use ruby spheres or dish in the banger - so dry post dab cleanup only - but I've used the boiled DW cleanup in the past and prefer it to boiling ISO.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
water also works 10x better than ISO when cleaning SiC.

I set my halo at 250, and the ease of cleaning with a single distilled water qtip is astonishing!
There is no scrub, deposits just wipe out.

And is does not have to be distilled water, more often than not I just use filtered water out of my fridge or Brita.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I tried distilled water and the charing stains didn't come out. So I got one of those little bottles of Dark Crystal. Put a just a couple of drops in the core banger then heated it up with the torch: Bingo, stains mostly lifted off with remaining stain removed in a few seconds of qtiping. Poured the used fluid into my round bottom banger, which was particularly scorched, heated it, and within a minute it looked like new. Thanks for the advice.

SixStringToker

Naked member
For that really persistent crud that the Dark Crystal & swabs struggle to remove, you can drop a little piece of a scotch brite pad into the banger with the Dark Crystal and use a swab to push it around and give the banger a good scrubbing. Just be sure to let it cool off a bit first; I think the max temp those pads can handle is 350F.

mudshark

Vaporist
For the faint persistent scorched ring on the walls of my banger, I use a drop of acetone (nail polish remover) on a paper wipe, followed by a good distilled water rinse.

Top Bottom